Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning of PC Built; alternatives to expensive compressed air cans

Options
  • 13-02-2015 3:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

I find those expensive compressed "air" cans to be very expensive, short-lived in their bursts and generally rather weak when it comes to their job of blasting air of one's PC components.

Is there an alternative electronic air blaster that would be more cost effective in the long run? My father has bought a digital air compressor (designed for tires), would that work? Would I also need a filter to stop moisture from being blown unto the components?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Mr Price/Dealz sell compressed air for 1.50, and it's absolutely fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

somurray wrote: »
    I find those expensive compressed "air" cans to be very expensive, short-lived in their bursts and generally rather weak when it comes to their job of blasting air of one's PC components.

Is there an alternative electronic air blaster that would be more cost effective in the long run? My father has bought a digital air compressor (designed for tires), would that work? Would I also need a filter to stop moisture from being blown unto the components?

I use a compressor ... never tried cans so have no idea how they compare.
    I also use a vacuum cleaner at the same time to suck up the majority of the blown dust/dirt.

Yes you need to be careful with moisture .... but so far it has not been a problem for me. I usually blow out the compressor prior to applying to the PC and most of the moisture seems to go in the first lot.
    There are moisture traps you can get for compressors also .... I probably have one or two in the garage but have not felt the need to use one for this. They were essential if using the compressor for painting.

One last item ..... I am careful to prevent any fans from spinning due to blown air. Allowing them free movement 'can' generate unwanted voltages into the motherboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

I use cotton buds to get the gunk trapped underneath fan blades and ventilation holes. Dust just sticks to the bud so it works really well for me. You would be amazed how much crap can accumulate, and my over all system temps fall quite a bit after a good clean twice a year. The dust ruins fans due to the uneven weight distribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I use one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOP-END-AIRBRUSH-COMPRESSOR-AS18-NEW-AIR-BRUSH-KIT-/380296526063?pt=UK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH&hash=item588b7078ef

Works very well. Probably not worth buying just for cleaning your PC, but we had it anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The ones in deals are fine, but they're not that dear for a big can from places like hardwareversand. Assuming you order other bits. They seem more effictive than smaller ones. They last me a long time, unless you're a smoker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I use a pump we have for a blow up bed. Works a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

That Electric Duster is tasty,but £85..

A decent set of magnetic dust filters are a good investment as well.

Advertisement