Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can i change consultant?

Options
  • 13-02-2015 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am just wondering if it is possible to request a change of consultant when going public?

I attended my first hospital appointment and was surprised that i saw the actual consultant on my first visit, i would've expected to see one of the other doctors, not the consultant. Anyway i felt uncomfortable with the situation as from the minute i went into the consulting room i felt like the consultant was touting for business............ I explained there is a family history of fatal fetal abnormalities and would've expected to be booked in for an anomoly scan as part of my care, i did receive this on my previous pregnancy also going private. At which point i was handed the consultants business card and told "i do private scans.......call me and make an appointment, i do anomoly scan but will give you free 3d scan on the same day" TBH i felt this was absolutely inappropriate.

I will be booking a private anomoly scan for my own peace of mind.............but not with this consultant!

Anyway this is the reason i want to change............anyone know what i need to do?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

You can request to not be treated by any member of staff. I will do so if I am pregnant again in relation to one consultant in Holles St . Do you have your notes with you? If so, put a note in yourself to the effect that he is not to provide any care and tell the manager on duty at your next appointment. If you don't, write a letter and hand it in the next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Regardless of going private and of your family history, you should get an anomaly scan anyway. Are you saying this isn't the case? I have had 2 in the rotunda, going public.
    Also surely the hospital must have some policy about consultants 'touting their wares' when you are already paying for private care?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Unfortunately the anomaly scan isn't standard in all hospitals. It isn't offered as routine in Cork. I've had two friends who had to plead their case, one whose first child had a serious heart condition and another who lost a niece to a fatal genetic condition.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

If you're going private you should be seeing the consultant as routine at every appointment. Did you yourself pick the consultant?
    I would have thought paying private would cover you for an anomaly scan, what hospital are you in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

Ginny wrote: »
    If you're going private you should be seeing the consultant as routine at every appointment. Did you yourself pick the consultant?
    I would have thought paying private would cover you for an anomaly scan, what hospital are you in?

But she's public?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

rebelletta wrote: »
    .......... I explained there is a family history of fatal fetal abnormalities and would've expected to be booked in for an anomoly scan as part of my care, i did receive this on my previous pregnancy also going private.
    Oh right, missed that, though the above meant the OP had gone privately before and was doing so again.
    If you're one a teams care I'm sure you can ask at reception even to move you to another team. I know I'm on the Masters team but will never see him, which is fine by me, but if I moved my appointments I'd move teams.
    As for the anomaly scan, don't get me started on it, it's disgraceful that the public care system isn't the same across the board. I had mine a few weeks ago and it picked up a problem in the kidneys, this now has to be monitored, if it hadn't been spotted it's not something baby's are tested for so could have been weeks or months before it was diagnosed. This would cause untold damage to the baby's kidneys in the meantime. Like it did in a family member when they were born before scans were so detailed. Without the anomaly scan my baby when born could have been in a lot of pain that no one would be able to diagnose or explain immediately. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Ginny wrote: »

Unfortunately even going private you may still have to pay for the anomaly scan. Think mine was €150 in holles at Merrion fetal clinic.

Having said that OP if you have a history of fatal fetal abnormality I would INSIST on an anomaly scan be provided to you through the public system. It's an extremely legitimate valid reason and one for which I wouldn't be taking no for an answer.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Unfortunately even going private you may still have to pay for the anomaly scan. Think mine was €150 in holles at Merrion fetal clinic.

I also paid 150 euro for mine in Holles St.

Does the hospital offer any scans?

My pregnancy (not a high risk one) in Holles St, public, I got maybe 3-4 early scans to confirm and date the pregnancy. A scan at every single hospital appointment. A detailed anomaly scan at twenty weeks - two in the same day, in fact, as he wasn't in a great position for the first one. Another anomaly scan at 39 weeks for a research project - where the lovely consultant switched to 3D mode and printed us a load of amazing 3D photos, which I'll treasure forever. Also, his movement was never strong or frequent due to the position of the placenta, so I had maybe 2-3 emergency scans in the final weeks.

I'd be terrified to think of what all those scans might have cost as a private patient! :eek: I have health insurance, but would still go for public maternity care. The public wards after birth aren't fun, but it was only four days. Not worth a grand a day to avoid them!

• Advertisement

My pregnancy (not a high risk one) in Holles St, public, I got maybe 3-4 early scans to confirm and date the pregnancy. A scan at every single hospital appointment. A detailed anomaly scan at twenty weeks - two in the same day, in fact, as he wasn't in a great position for the first one. Another anomaly scan at 39 weeks for a research project - where the lovely consultant switched to 3D mode and printed us a load of amazing 3D photos, which I'll treasure forever. Also, his movement was never strong or frequent due to the position of the placenta, so I had maybe 2-3 emergency scans in the final weeks.

I'd be terrified to think of what all those scans might have cost as a private patient! :eek: I have health insurance, but would still go for public maternity care. The public wards after birth aren't fun, but it was only four days. Not worth a grand a day to avoid them!

The only scan you have to pay for private is the anomaly. All other scan were with the consultant were included. I was scanned at every visit. My consultant also did my 12 week and nucal translucency scan and I didn't have to pay extra. I had so many was nearly sick of them by the end. Lol

The only scan you have to pay for private is the anomaly. All other scan were with the consultant were included. I was scanned at every visit. My consultant also did my 12 week and nucal translucency scan and I didn't have to pay extra. I had so many was nearly sick of them by the end. Lol

I just don't get what you're paying for then? I know it varies with hospitals, but why pay for private care in Holles St when you'll get every scan for free otherwise ...

Also I saw my consultant (rather than a team member) at most appointments. And was never left waiting in a queue for more than 10-20 minutes. (My appointments were 8am, so I was well able to be in work by 9 am.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

My anomaly scan was included in my consultants fees.

I just don't get what you're paying for then? I know it varies with hospitals, but why pay for private care in Holles St when you'll get every scan for free otherwise ...

Also I saw my consultant (rather than a team member) at most appointments. And was never left waiting in a queue for more than 10-20 minutes. (My appointments were 8am, so I was well able to be in work by 9 am.)

See if I'm honest I just think you were very lucky. I think you were the exception and not the rule with the public system. Most people I know who went public never even saw their consultant once. I paid to go private so I would get continuity of care with my consultant. Also that I would be ensured a consultant be present at the birth. Also, if I chose to have an epidural that it would be a consultant anaesthetist administering it as opposed to a registrar. Private patients also get preference for a private room as opposed to those who just have health insurance. This was a big decider for me aswell.

Private led care was a priority for me because of continuity of.care and preference for private accommodation, both of which I got. I have had experience of public and semi private care and neither would be for me, especially as I ended up with sections. Public especially was a pain, having to explain my history each time to a different member of staff. I loved having a consultant who agreed to my preferences and provided continuity of care before and after the birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

What hospital are you in?

People can give more specific answers then.

I had my 3 publicly in holles st and had great experiences on all 3. Same consultant and saw him on 80% of visits I reckon. Otherwise it was his reg. Anyway, in holles st, different consultants do different days so if you wanted to change, its as simple as saying you can't make x day going forward.

Finally, an anomaly scan should be standard. I cannot believe that in some hospitals its not. The country is just shocking at times....

Was that Dr Michael Foley by any chance, highly? That's who I had, I think he's known to do the bulk of his public appointments himself. And, if he's not at the birth, he will at least come to visit on the ward afterwards (I don't think all of the consultants do that.)

Was that Dr Michael Foley by any chance, highly? That's who I had, I think he's known to do the bulk of his public appointments himself. And, if he's not at the birth, he will at least come to visit on the ward afterwards (I don't think all of the consultants do that.)

Certainly was. Man is a legend in my eyes!! He runs his clinics with military precision! In and out in 15. Although bedside manner is lacking his efficiency is confidence inducing. Apparently he's the internal consultant of choice for all the female staff there. He's no longer taking on private patients but I don't know if he's retiring completely. Will be a huge loss to holles st when he does.

highly1111 wrote: »
    Certainly was. Man is a legend in my eyes!! He runs his clinics with military precision! In and out in 15. Although bedside manner is lacking his efficiency is confidence inducing. Apparently he's the internal consultant of choice for all the female staff there. He's no longer taking on private patients but I don't know if he's retiring completely. Will be a huge loss to holles st when he does.

Highly111 how do you know he's the choice for all female staff there? Although extremely efficient I don't think this statement is true.

Highly111 how do you know he's the choice for all female staff there? Although extremely efficient I don't think this statement is true.

One of the midwives told me this herself when she heard I was seeing him! Still only anecdotal evidence, but I've heard that from several people.

• Advertisement

I obviously don't know for a fact but on each pregnancy I was told separately by different midwives that he's the one they all use. In total I was told that 4 different times by 4 different staff members.

One of the midwives told me this herself when she heard I was seeing him! Still only anecdotal evidence, but I've heard that from several people.

No it's not true. In fact the majority of staff I know (which are a good few) in holles st have informed me of a different consultant they would chose. Not the one I choose in the end either. Also very efficient. It just comes down to personal preference.

I don't think you can go by anecdotes really.I've heard nurses say they all go public, they all go private, they all go midwife led, they all choose the doctor I don't want treating me! I don't think there'd be any real go to doctor for any member of staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

My anomaly scan was included in my consultant fees. Maybe different insurance policies could explain why some people have to pay extra

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

foodaholic wrote: »
    My anomaly scan was included in my consultant fees. Maybe different insurance policies could explain why some people have to pay extra

It's the consultant or hospital who charges extra for the scans

foodaholic wrote: »

Yea it's not the insurance companies but the consultant. Some will include the 20 week scan whilst some won't. If my consultant did the scan herself I'm pretty sure it would have been included. But in the Merrion fetal clinic its a fetal sonographer who does the anomaly scans.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

hi Guys, Op here - thanks for all of the replies.

I think my post has been a bit misunderstood. I am going public in KK. I saw the consultant on my first viisit at which time she started touting for business........... ie no anomoly scan even though family history.......... she wanted me to go to her private rooms for the anomoly scan and pay her privately!

Anyways i am still not sure if i can request to change clinics. I am 20 weeks this week and not due back to the hospital until middle of April.

I will be booking a private anomoly scan for next week with a different private clinic, i need to have the anomoly scan as i dont think i could last without knowing that everything is or isnt ok.

rebelletta wrote: »
    hi Guys, Op here - thanks for all of the replies.

I think my post has been a bit misunderstood. I am going public in KK. I saw the consultant on my first viisit at which time she started touting for business........... ie no anomoly scan even though family history.......... she wanted me to go to her private rooms for the anomoly scan and pay her privately!

Anyways i am still not sure if i can request to change clinics. I am 20 weeks this week and not due back to the hospital until middle of April.

I will be booking a private anomoly scan for next week with a different private clinic, i need to have the anomoly scan as i dont think i could last without knowing that everything is or isnt ok.

I'd still go with Sligo1's advice - insist on a scan being done on the public system because of your family history. An anomaly scan should be done as standard anyways, but especially for higher risk pregnancies like yours. I'd not sure what the appropriate channels would be for this - perhaps write to the master of the hospital, for a start - but I wouldn't take no for an answer.

And also request to change clinics, if you ring the registry office they should be able to tell you the procedure for this.

I would firstly write a letter or ring consultant and say you are not prepared to pay for a private anomaly scan as you should be receiving one anyway due to your family history. Request one (public) during this conversation/letter.

If the consultant refuses to do the anomaly scan for you going public I would then call the masters secretary and make an appointment. Or write a letter. Explain the situation and again put forward your request.

Tbh, I would be very surprised if you were refused. Scandalous carry on altogether tbh....

• Advertisement

I know this is irrelevant to your original post but I find it shocking and almost unbelievable that a 20 anomaly isn't standard practice. Go and get your private scan to give you peace of mind but I'd be knocking down every door in the hospital also. There's no need for them to know you've had the scan.

Advertisement