Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1-16 v 1-9 twist in .22lr barrels

Options
  • 13-02-2015 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭

I see that Volquartsen do a muzzle weighted 1-9 twist barrel for the 10/22's.

I thought the faster twist were suited for a heaver bullet but seeing as most 22lr are 40gr why the 1-9??

What if any is the advantage of the 1-9 twist barrel in 22lr??

https://www.volquartsen.com/products/541-stainless-muzzle-weighted-barrel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

You are correct clivej, Wouldn't suit here as we don't use 60gr round, the 60gr round is way too heavy to fire from our standard barrel rifling 1:16, places like the states where 60gr round is available you would need the 1:9 twist, so don't be buying one and sticking it on the 1022 lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

Here ye are.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/461399/aguila-sss-sniper-subsonic-ammunition-22-long-rifle-60-grain-lead-round-nose-box-of-500-10-boxes-of-50

These 60gr rounds are know for keyholing with 1:16 barrels.
    Some people have reported no issues with 1:16 barrels, personally I attribute this to the chamber and how it's cut and it's leade to the rifling and I also think that some 22lr might have slightly tighter twists than they quote..

Personally I was looking for a 1-20twist barrel for the 30grain hyper stuff.. But stuff like that is harder to find than hens teeth here in good old Eire.
    Even in the USA youll find that slow twists aren't very popular.
    Thought about getting a 1:9 but it's only suited to one type of ammo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Is there any issue with getting stuff off midway posted to Ireland. Are their rates expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

hexosan wrote: »
    Is there any issue with getting stuff off midway posted to Ireland. Are their rates expensive

its not possible

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Midway will not ship outside the country they reside in. Same with Midway UK. They will ship to NI, but not the republic.

Plus the cost and hassle of shipping ammo to here is a nightmare and expensive.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

juice1304 wrote: »
    its not possible
    Cass wrote: »
    Midway will not ship outside the country they reside in. Same with Midway UK. They will ship to NI, but not the republic.

Plus the cost and hassle of shipping ammo to here is a nightmare and expensive.

I have got items from Midway to here. Best not to ship ammo here using.
    Parcel Motel comes to mind, @€;4 extra to ship down.

Brownells have taken over Midway UK afaik.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

That is a hosting company. Midway themselves will not ship directly to Ireland.

Brownell's might own Midway, i'm not sure of this, but they do own Sinclair and carry a huge range of gear so they'd be my first stop. Their shipping is a little tasty with a minimum of $45 for up to 2.5kg (IIRC). Grand if you're getting a few bits, but like me 2 years ago and all i wanted was an insert for my reloading press. The item was $6, but the shipping $45.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Wasn't looking for ammo just other bits and pieces

What's the story with importing magazines or parts for you need any paperwork on this end for customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Wasn't looking for ammo just other bits and pieces

What's the story with importing magazines or parts for you need any paperwork on this end for customs.

Your license is your paperwork.

Advertisement