Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My four year old has just been discriminated based on her religion!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

positron wrote: »
    Their 'enrollment requirements' does not disqualify a child for not being catholic. (That would be illegal I would imagine?). They are prioritizing based on religion. Lets assume I open a chippers and I will serve everyone coming to, but lets say I will serve Muslims before I serve others, even if that means a non-Muslim person who ordered breakfast at 10 am is still sitting there waiting while I am busy serving Catholic dinner orders. How do you think that would go down?

Why does schools teach religion anyway? And discriminate based on that religion? Shouldn't religion be left to parents / religious groups outside school hours?

They have to prioritise in some way. And no matter how it's done it's "unfair" to those not given priority. First come first served is just as unfair on people who didn't apply early due to whatever reasons- only recently moving to the area, having other plans fall through, their application form being lost in the post... whatever, point is any way they do it will be unfair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Urgh, I don't even want to get involved in this discussion. Severe bug bear of mine as a teacher.

I'm guessing this school has a Catholic ethos which will be clearly defined on their website and on documents that can accessed through the secretary or principal in the school.

How is it discrimination? They have stated their enrolment requirements. You don't fit the bill, it's not the schools fault.

The school doesn't suit your religious or non religious needs. Other schools do.

As a Christian, would I want to teach in a Muslim school. No I wouldn't as I don't share their beliefs.

This is a governmental issue too. They should have foreseen this coming wayyyy down the track 10-15 years ago and should have provided schools to cater for pupils with different beliefs, especially in developing areas at a more rapid rate.

Do you teach in a Catholic school?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Tasden wrote: »
    They have to prioritise in some way. And no matter how it's done it's "unfair" to those not given priority. First come first served is just as unfair on people who didn't apply early due to whatever reasons- only recently moving to the area, having other plans fall through, their application form being lost in the post... whatever, point is any way they do it will be unfair.

We should pull state funding, right? Or, refund tax money to the parents of discriminated children. That way it would be fair.

Or do you prefer "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Your child's educational needs far outweigh the needs to believe in any "higher power".

Just baptise/lie/do what you need to in order to get the best education for your child.

One imaginary god is just as good as the next.

This, personally I don't have the time to think about religion, however id baptise my child in a heartbeat if it that provided more opportunities. In situations like this I do what's best for me and mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

mikom wrote: »
    Do you teach in a Catholic school?

Of course I absolutely do. I'd be an absolute hypocrite if I didn't.

• Advertisement

Saipanne wrote: »
    We should pull state funding, right? Or, refund tax money to the parents of discriminated children. That way it would be fair.

Or do you prefer "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."

I'm a parent of a child that isn't baptised, I had to face these issues myself but I'm able to face facts and realise that no matter what way they prioritise there will be someone who is unhappy with the system/policy they use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

look if it's a catholic school they probably say prayers in class during the day, do things according to that religion, celebrate catholic days/events, why would you want your child doing that if they are not a catholic?

and for what? to save yourself a longer trip to school?

we are moving further away from the area of my daughters school it will mean a longer commute but i will do it because i believe that school is the best one for her, her beliefs, and they educate them as we want her educated. that for me is the most important part of education, being somewhere that suits your style and theirs,

if you ask me my opinion the school did you a favour by stopping you from making a huge mistake with your daughters education.

Tasden wrote: »
    I'm a parent of a child that isn't baptised, I had to face these issues myself but I'm able to face facts and realise that no matter what way they prioritise there will be someone who is unhappy with the system/policy they use.

Your child is lower than religious children, in the eyes of the state, when it comes to education. If you are facing and accepting any fact, that surely must the the bitterest pill?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

positron wrote: »
    I did not - apologies if you felt so! I was probably wrong to assume that this sort of stuff only happened in countries with religious extremism. I grew up in India. Anyway, that and what I thought of this country is not really relevant to this discussion - it was only stated to explain how I felt. Irrelevant otherwise.

well if you grew up in India then you know all about religious extremism and as bad and all as louth is, its no India.
    comparing the situation in Ireland to Afghanistan and the middle east is hysterical nonsense, much like your opening post.

Your child is lower than religious children, in the eyes of the state, when it comes to education. If you are facing and accepting any fact, that surely must the the bitterest pill?

No question, but its how it is, I never said I agree with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Of course I absolutely do. I'd be an absolute hypocrite if I didn't.

Why? Could you not teach in a non religious school and leave your religion at the gate.

How is she? She has choices in this country. Is it fair that Catholics have to change for you? I think it's more about providing choices for everyone and enough of them throughout the country.

The government seem to escape all the criticism. They are only now responding to various religious beliefs and non religious education. When I started teaching 10 years ago, it was a huge issue then. They need to be proactive rather than reactive.

RustyNut wrote: »
    Why? Could you not teach in a non religious school and leave your religion at the gate.

Why would I change the way I am to suit you? I knew what I signed up for when I started teaching there. I did my homework and read the charter.

How is she? She has choices in this country. Is it fair that Catholics have to change for you? I think it's more about providing choices for everyone and enough of them throughout the country.

The government seem to escape all the criticism. They are only now responding to various religious beliefs and non religious education. When I started teaching 10 years ago, it was a huge issue then. They need to be proactive rather than reactive.

Well tbf she had less options than a catholic child. And the options available to her were an ET school which was only a prefab at the time or else the local catholic school which she would get a place in as priority was given to children in the catchment area regardless of religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,364 ✭✭✭positron

farmchoice wrote: »
    well if you grew up in India then you know all about religious extremism and as bad and all as louth is, its no India.
    comparing the situation in Ireland to Afghanistan and the middle east is hysterical nonsense, much like your opening post.

I don't know how much or what you know about India, but you are focusing on a non-point that I already explained, so I am choosing not to respond to that comment now.

Choices? Is there? Non Catholic parents I hear from would say choices are EXTREMELY limited. So back that claim up?

Catholics and non Catholics pay taxes for schools. Catholics can pick all schools, non Catholics cannot pick all schools (unless they force baptize) and are discriminated against because of this. This is fair only in a warped mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭padohaodha

hysterical nonsense from op.if you want to join a club you obey the rules.its your choice so dont come crying when u dont get your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Why would I change the way I am to suit you? I knew what I signed up for when I started teaching there. I did my homework and read the charter.

You don't sound like you have a very Christian attitude in.your posts. How do you treat non.Catholic pupils or are all the pupils in the school Catholic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Choices? Is there? Non Catholic parents I hear from would say choices are EXTREMELY limited. So back that claim up?

Catholics and non Catholics pay taxes for schools. Catholics can pick all schools, non Catholics cannot pick all schools (unless they force baptize) and are discriminated against because of this. This is fair only in a warped mind.

Absolutes are so pointless.

A few oversubscribed RC schools use religion as a criteria. Some COI and other schools ALSO use similar religious criteria.

Hence RC children can't go to ALL schools without changing their ethos. Same as every other child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭LeeMajors

vicwatson wrote: »
    Grow up please.

Oh so it's the taxpayers fault is it?

So you don't know then whether these extension/new builds are now state property?

Yes dear,
    You obviously didn't see the case last week where one of these 'educate together' schools had to apologise to some woman because her kid caught sight of a copy of the Charlie hebro magazine during a class teaching civics.

And, just so you know, the state put kids into the care of Catholic ran institutions.
    That would be the governments of the day's responsibility.
    They were also told about what was happening in these places and did nothing about it.
    So yes, the state is responsible as well as the Catholic church.

• Advertisement

pwurple wrote: »
    Absolutes are so pointless.

A few oversubscribed RC schools use religion as a criteria. Some COI and other schools ALSO use similar religious criteria.

Hence RC children can't go to ALL schools without changing their ethos. Same as every other child.

As an atheist Christian, what category will you put your children in for religious instruction in the CofI school you're sending them to? Is atheist Christian on the category of enrolment for the school?

padohaodha wrote: »
    hysterical nonsense from op.if you want to join a club you obey the rules.its your choice so dont come crying when u dont get your way.

He is forced to pay taxes, so he's joined our club, whether he likes it or not. But one room is for "the pure only" and the other is for "lesser folk".

lazygal wrote: »
    You don't sound like you have a very Christian attitude in.your posts. How do you treat non.Catholic pupils or are all the pupils in the school Catholic?

There's nothing wrong with the posters attitude imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

I just have an objection to tax money being spent brainwashing kids into believing in sky fairies or unicorns or any anything else as if these things are facts.

If people want to teach this stuff to their kids it should be on their own time and not with state money.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

But should the club be allowed to discriminate based on religion if it is largely funded by public money (including the OP's taxes). Doesn't seem like the best possible way to allocate a public service.

atheism.....the new victms..........this country is full of whingers.sick of sanctimonious politically correct numpties ...ye have no real problems thats whats wrong with ye.
    He is forced to pay taxes, so he's joined our club, whether he likes it or not. But one room is for "the pure only" and the other is for "lesser folk".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Pretty disgraceful if true - this school should have its public funding cut immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

LeeMajors wrote: »
    Yes dear,
    You obviously didn't see the case last week where one of these 'educate together' schools had to apologise to some woman because her kid caught sight of a copy of the Charlie hebro magazine during a class teaching civics.

Actually that didn't happen as you say it did .

Op what was the actual reason your were given by this school .
    Did they give the specific reason your child isn't getting in based off religion

atheism.....the new victms..........this country is full of whingers.sick of sanctimonious politically correct numpties ...ye have no real problems thats whats wrong with ye.

How Christian of you.

• Advertisement

lazygal wrote: »
    How Christian of you.

never said i was christian

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement