Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My four year old has just been discriminated based on her religion!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

padohaodha wrote: »
    never said i was christian

What faith are you, if any?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

lazygal wrote: »

Why does it matter? Isn't that the whole point of the thread, it shouldn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Tasden wrote: »
    Why does it matter? Isn't that the whole point of the thread, it shouldn't matter.

Well the poster had some.choice things to say about atheists, so I wonder why that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Please remember to attack the post not the poster.

Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

farmchoice wrote: »
    you can explain that even though you knew quite well this day was coming you felt that your conscience was the most important thing.

that as you don't hold with the catholic church you chose not to have her christened. thereby effecting her choice of schools.

as a grown adult and a parent you knew this was coming so don't be crying the victim now, you made your bed.

I'm an atheist i hold the catholic church in very low esteem but i had my little fella christened for this very reason, its not fair, but its reality. i could have sent him to the newly opened non religious school but for the reasons you outlined in your post i chose not to.

you are more then entitled to your point of view and i admire you for sticking to your guns in what is unfortunately still a catholic country, but this is the price you pay for your convictions it and you knew it from the beginning.

Unfortunately, it's a secular country that for some utterly bizarre reason ignores its own constitution and the very principles of republicanism that it claims to be founded upon and outsources the management of 90% of the public schools to a single private religious organisation and another 6% to other religious organisations. So, a massive 4% of public schools aren't religious.

Ireland's still extremely backwards in some ways. It's sad to say it but on issues like this it's in a time warp.

Being a Republic should mean a lot more than being "Not England" which is about as far as Republican values go here. We basically replaced the established Anglican Church and aristocracy with the Catholic Church instead of creating a new, progressive society where Ireland was run by the people, for the people and of the people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭padohaodha

im baptised coi but i understand that a catholic school teaches catholicism.my kids go to local catholic school and in no way could i say they are indoctrinating my kids
    ...what a strange question.it doesnt matter on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Well the poster had some.choice things to say about atheists, so I wonder why that is.

As do I. As someone who does not subscribe to any religion, this thread reminds me, why, I personally find certain atheists even more annoying than their religious counterpart

The choice things he said were actually in relation to whingers and politically correct numpties. Atheists were just referred to as the new victims. His religion, or lack thereof, whatever the case may be is irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

ch750536 wrote: »
    Jesus didn't think much of kids, it says so in the bible, somewhere in the middle.

I tried a non denomination school for my kids, would be a long drive every day. 98% catholic school in Ireland. Even though a school was catholic, I didn't think they were allowed to discriminate based on religion. Would be interesting to see the facts,

I'd love to be shown the bit somewhere in the middle :)
    If you're going to throw out random inferences on something you know nothing about at least back it up.

As for RC schools, they set their own policies as do protestant, Jewish, Muslim and secular.
    5 years on the list for ET, didn't get my son a place.siblings of children already there skip the queue.
    My local RC school will take him even though we aren't RC.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Why are my taxes paying for religious cults to brainwash children?

• Advertisement

I'd love to be shown the bit somewhere in the middle :)
    If you're going to throw out random inferences on something you know nothing about at least back it up.
    The bible is so full of fantasyland horse manure it hardly matters whether he specifies the exact page.

what a strange question.it doesnt matter on boards.
    Shouldn't matter anywhere TBH, which is the whole problem! It does!

I'd add that basically forcing people to convert to a different religion or to join one to access #public# services that we all pay for through our taxes is extremely contrary to basic human rights laws.

The UN has made very negative comments about Ireland and its completely inadequate progress on opening up education.

I've a feeling that Ireland will have to be internationally humiliated with a ECHR ruling against it on this before it gets taken seriously. We are way out of line with normal practice and with the criteria required to provide proper public education.

This is potentially excluding people from education and is a major flaw in how services are delivered.

Can you imagine a situation being accepted in any other area of public service?
    Because we all grew up in it were blind to how grossly unjust it is.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Shouldn't matter anywhere TBH, which is the whole problem! It does!
    id just love to see the letter that op says they got that said youre not getting in cos youre not catholic.as i said earlier it sounds like a hysterical reaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭LeeMajors

The same reason your taxes are being used to pay off odious debts, welfare and overpaid PS workers.
    It's called democracy, we elect people to govern the country and that's what they do.
    You don't pick and choose where your taxes are spent no more than I do.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Ok Folks,
    Please do not attack other posters,please keep the thread on topic.

We will be handing out warnings.

Thanks

id just love to see the letter that op says they got that said youre not getting in cos youre not catholic.as i said earlier it sounds like a hysterical reaction.
    Oh, so we should assume they're lying because of???? When I know for a fact you need to produce baptismal certs to get into schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Here you go.
    baldbear wrote: »
    What's the harm in getting her baptised? No one really takes it seriously. It'll just make it easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,364 ✭✭✭positron

Gatling wrote: »
    Op what was the actual reason your were given by this school. Did they give the specific reason your child isn't getting in based off religion

They said school is oversubscribed, and based on the enrollment policy explained on their website (if oversubscribed, kids will be prioritised as catholic, siblings, locals etc etc). They didn't say exactly why she didn't get it, other than saying by the above order or priority she doesn't have a place.

We know someone who applied two years later than us (also not catholic, incidentally) got a place offered because of an older sibling already in school. We are local, we are in the catchment area, and we applied as early as you possibly can (within weeks of being born). The school takes some 200+ kids every year. So I am deducing that if she were baptised she would have gotten a place. That's all.

LeeMajors wrote: »
    The same reason your taxes are being used to pay off odious debts, welfare and overpaid PS workers.
    It's called democracy, we elect people to govern the country and that's what they do.
    Phew, thanks for pointing that out. No need to discuss where our taxes go ever again because we live in a democracy. Back to sleep everybody!

• Advertisement

LeeMajors wrote: »

Since when was the current education system decided by any form of democracy?
    It came about due to corporatism. The church was inserted into the delivery of public services due to intense use of church power to influence decision making from the perspective of an insider lobbyist.

The fact that no Irish political party has the balls to do something about it doesn't mean it's a democratically created situation.

RustyNut wrote: »
    Here you go.
    if "nobody takes baptism seriously" then why do religious schools take it so seriously they'll refuse entry without it?

positron wrote: »
    They said school is oversubscribed, and based on the enrollment policy explained on their website (if oversubscribed, kids will be prioritised as catholic, siblings, locals etc etc). They didn't say exactly why she didn't get it, other than saying by the above order or priority she doesn't have a place.

We know someone who applied two years later than us (also not catholic, incidentally) got a place offered because of an older sibling already in school. We are local, we are in the catchment area, and we applied as early as you possibly can (within weeks of being born). The school takes some 200+ kids every year. So I am deducing that if she were baptised she would have gotten a place. That's all.

So, the school is oversubscribed but you decided to claim you were being discriminated against?

Oh, so we should assume they're lying because of???? When I know for a fact you need to produce baptismal certs to get into schools?
    well i thought atheists rejected religion because there is no proof.strange that we must just accept some other things without proof.

Its in black and white on most catholic school websites in their enrollment policy document. It gives a breakdown of how they allocate places and its usually based on location, siblings in the school and religion. The ops reaction to the news may seem hysterical but the reasoning for why the child was refused probably isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

positron wrote: »

But that's not how your worded this thread though

The bible is so full of fantasyland horse manure it hardly matters whether he specifies the exact page.

So Jesus(allegedly) saying that whoever harms a child should have a millstone put around his neck and he should be thrown into the sea actually means Jesus didn't care much for children.

Back on track....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭BQQ

I know for a fact that you don't.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Since when was the current education system decided by any form of democracy?
    It came about due to corporatism. The church was inserted into the delivery of public services due to intense use of church power to influence decision making from the perspective of an insider lobbyist.

The fact that no Irish political party has the balls to do something about it doesn't mean it's a democratically created situation.

The only schools being built now are educate together schools.
    Still claim 'no political party has the balls to do anything about it'?

• Advertisement

Tasden wrote: »
    Its in black and white on most catholic school websites in their enrollment policy document. It gives a breakdown of how they allocate places and its usually based on location, siblings in the school and religion. The ops reaction to the news may seem hysterical but the reasoning for why the child was refused probably isn't.

They may well have been full based on siblings in the school but without knowing the truth its easier to blame religion.
    Let's not let lack of facts get in the way of a good story.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement