Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling a credit card - advice

Options
  • 13-02-2015 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I paid off my credit card balance, I was always using it and it was just too easy to rack up a big bill on it. So I rang them and they put me onto their loyalty team who asked for a reason and I said I have a Debit Visa card which does the job so don't want the credit card anymore. They replied saying that I should keep the card as when I travel abroad hotels will only take a credit card not a debit card and I would need the credit card for emergencies.

As I do plan to go on hols in July is this true or is this just a tactic of theirs to keep me?
    Would one of those top up credit cards work just as well? I really hate the temptation to use the credit card so would definitely like to cancel it but don't want to be stuck in Spain later this year if they refuse my debit card. Any advice? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

If you go on holiday and book a room the hotel will sometimes put the entire bill (and in some cases a security deposit) onto your card, this will be held in pre authorisation.. this means, if the amount they preauthorise is 500 and you only have 600 in your account, you technically only have 100 available cash to use until the amount is released (which can sometimes take 2 weeks)..

A CC is handy, if you can be strict with yourself its a great tool but if you're afraid you'll run up a bill again, get a lend of a family member/friends card

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I cancelled mine as never used it, except to pay the 40 euro tax

However sometimes renting cars is easier with a CC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

keep it if you have it...much easier than trying to get it back again if you NEED it again.

And its definitely preferable if out of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Stanleigh

I agree with other posters, I would definitely hold on to your CC. I do a lot of travel for work and there are a lot of hotels, especially in the UK who will require a CC for pre-auth and will not accept visa debit cards.

Advertisement