Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help a stupid man get port-forwarding working

Options
  • 13-02-2015 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭

I should know how to do this, but I'm getting nowhere (Vodafone broadband).

Let's say I want to access port 17800 at google.ie.

I go to NAT->Port mapping on my router (firewall is off for now).

interface:[\B] No idea what to select here
    remote host: 143.234.120.200 (ip address of google.ie)
    start port: 17800
    end port: 17800
    local host: fixed IP address of my machine in the house
    local port: 17800
    protocol: TCP & UDP

After this, I still cant ping the port number/ip address from that machine. Am I doing something stupid?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

sorry but why are you trying to access a port to a webaddress? I think you may have this a bit backwards

you have me confused on what your are actually trying to do, opening a port is only going to allow external connections see your "device" on your network

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

You're right - I am a bit lost!

Basically, I have a client device at home that needs to see a remote device at a particular IP address and port number. It seems to be blocked on my end.

Is port-forwarding/mapping the solution to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

okay you need to find the IP address of that "client device" and forward a port to for its local IP address on your Router

say the device is 192.168.0.23, then pick a port

for this example we will use 1234 and forward that port for 192.168.0.23 in your Router, you check if your port is open correctly by entering it here http://www.canyouseeme.org/

then you will be able to access the device from the Internet using your external IP address, say for example you public IP address is 195.176.43.78:1234 (1234 being your chosen port)

if you have a dynamic IP you will also need to setup dynamic DNS so you can access the device if your public IP changes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

If you don't manage to get this working by Monday grab me on google talk and i'll sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

You're right - I am a bit lost!

Basically, I have a client device at home that needs to see a remote device at a particular IP address and port number. It seems to be blocked on my end.

Is port-forwarding/mapping the solution to this?

No, port-forwarding and mapping is not the solution.

If you're certain that the service exists then a firewall on outgoing connections on your device or vodafone router might block it.
    e.g. on a Vodafone eFiber router HG658c under the menu
    Advanced > Firewall > Firewall

if the firewall level is set to High then it will block services outside the uncommon ones.
    "(When level "High" is set, only the FTP/DNS/HTTP/HTTPS/IGMP packets are allowed.)"
    FTP is port 21, DNS is 53, HTTP is 80, HTTPS is 443

When Firewall Level is set to Low, any other ports will be permitted.

And that IP 143.234.120.200 is not google. Seems to be University of Dundee.

So:
    Would it be a fixed line broadband or mobile broadband that you're using?
    What router are you using?
    What security software / antivirus?
    Windows, Mac or other device?
    Possible to provide the real IP and port, assuming it's a legal service.

kingtiger wrote: »
    then you will be able to access the device from the Internet using your external IP address, say for example you public IP address is 195.176.43.78:1234 (1234 being your chosen port)

if you have a dynamic IP you will also need to setup dynamic DNS so you can access the device if your public IP changes
    He's trying to do the opposite.

• Advertisement
Advertisement