Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fair deal help

• 13-02-2015 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

My Mother has been unwell and we believe to have dementia (undiagnosed). She is in a low risk home at the moment. They have told us her needs are too great for them now and advised to fill in the fair deal forms.

I have a few questions that I am hoping someone can help me with.

She would have savings over the 30,000e cut off, does this mean she will not qualify and will have to use her savings? Or would her contribution be higher than her pension, ie she would have to use some savings on top of her pension?

She has a home that is in need of care. Nobody lives there now. We feel that if it was kept for the minimum 3 years it would be in a poor state for sale. Should we consider selling the home for her now? Then she would have more savings so don't know if we would be shooting ourselves in the foot so to speak by doing this.

Do we have to wait for her medical assessment by the HSE before we look for a home? Obviously we don't know where to start looking with no offical diagnosis.

We really hope she can stay where she is as she is settled and it dosent cost a great deal but they are telling us the cannot take responsibility for her if she wanders. They have an open door policy.

If anyone can help with any of above it would be much appreciated. My head is a mess at the moment and am trying to do the right thing.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

If you go to "Fair Deal Scheme" thread on Page 2 of this section and read down the posts to #8, CloneDreamer very kindly offered help if anyone wanted to send a pm. As a new poster, I don't know if you can do that but you could certainly post on that thread and see if you get a response. Failing that, Citizens Information is a good place to start and you could also contact your Mum's local health centre, they should be able to help as well. I wish you luck and I hope everything works out for you all.

P.S. You should speak with your Mum's doctor and discuss your concerns, his input is very important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,875 ✭✭✭✭looksee

CloneDreamer has not posted in over 7 months, you might be better to look for help posting in here :)

I thought of that too, looksee, but CloneDreamer asked for pm contact which we wouldn't see, could be busy as a bee in his/her messages! I noticed that bbs68 had posted here looking for help on the 13th and five days later, mine was the only response. I tried to offer a little help until more knowledgeable posters came by. Still lost, poor things! :)

Janmaree, I have absolutely no reason to suppose that CloneDreamer is anything other than a genuine, helpful person offering advice. However on a public site I am a little nervous of people asking others to pm them with possibly personal details, so as I general rule I tend to try and discourage this kind of interaction.

A similar situation applies in such forums as Personal Issues. If there is useful information to be given, much better to give it to the whole community so that everyone can avail of it, and if it is inaccurate, other people can challenge it.

Sorry, I was just trying to help.

• Advertisement

No problem at all, Janmaree, and thanks for trying :)

Advertisement