Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAS for backup and streaming

Options
  • 13-02-2015 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Hi, I recently bought a new HP Pavillion 11 and I am interested in setting up a NAS to do back ups and stream video from my HD. I have fast UPC broadband and a UPC wireless router. I use an iPad mini and an iPhone.
    I want to use the plex app to stream my movies to an Apple TV.
    What sort of setup should I look at?
    I'm looking for a basic and cheap system,.
    Can I use my existing external 1TB HD?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

I haven't used a NAS myself, but the Synology DiskStation DS215j for £140 caught my eye. Great reviews on Amazon.co.uk. Trusted Reviews gave it 9/10
    Key Features: 2x 3.5in SATA HDD Bays; Synology Hybrid RAID (SHR); Marvell Armada 375 Dual Core 800MHz CPU; 1x USB 3.0, 1x USB 2.0; 1x Gigabit LAN; 512MB RAM
    Manufacturer: Synology
    It has space for 2 drives up to 8 TB, and uses a cloud web interface that is supposedly very polished and user friendly. It's low power also. Not sure about about supporting PLEX but it will work with your Apple TV. Tempted myself, but my money is on a new PC build this year. As it's a budget solution this NAS is not powerful enough to do transcoding.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you want Plex you really need a fully fledged OS. That means a real CPU and board, not a small embedded device. Decide if you can live with DLNA only, if so a cheap unit will do, if Plex is a must then youll need to pay a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

That particular model is never going to be supported by the sounds of this (edit, someone will probably get it working though)

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/143516-nas-ds215j-compatibility-plex/?hl=%2Bnas+%2Bsupported#entry839074

The last fellow in that thread has a link in his sig to a (slightly out of date) compatible list.

I had a qnap ts412 a few years ago, it worked with plex although was really slow and lagged scrolling through my libraries.

Im sure a modern nas is much faster now, only more expensive ones will be able to transcode on the fly, so you are relying on the client being able to support all of the formats, never owned an apple 2 so not sure.

I agree with ed e, if you can live without plex a low end nas is an ok option.

I ended up building a server and use plex

Advertisement