Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passing by compensation

• 13-02-2015 6:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭

Hey everyone,

I am a second year Bcomm International student and I've just gotten my results back from Christmas. I'm wondering

a) If I pass my modules this term, will I pass overall by compensation as I failed one module at Christmas by only 5%?

b) Will my overall result ("FIRST CLASS HONOURS") as written on the website be demoted to PASS BY COMPENSATION regardless of what I get overall? It seems very unfair to have a good 2/1 or whatever I would get overall (despite the fail) not reflected because of one result.

c) Will this have any effect on my Erasmus? Does compensation still apply for students going away in Third Year?

Anyone who can point me in the right direction, it would be a great help! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

bleach94 wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

I am a second year Bcomm International student and I've just gotten my results back from Christmas. I'm wondering

a) If I pass my modules this term, will I pass overall by compensation as I failed one module at Christmas by only 5%?

b) Will my overall result ("FIRST CLASS HONOURS") as written on the website be demoted to PASS BY COMPENSATION regardless of what I get overall? It seems very unfair to have a good 2/1 or whatever I would get overall (despite the fail) not reflected because of one result.

c) Will this have any effect on my Erasmus? Does compensation still apply for students going away in Third Year?

Anyone who can point me in the right direction, it would be a great help! Thanks

I am not sure about the first or last question but to my understanding, you don't have 'First Class Honours' put with your results until you are in your final year so for the sake of argument, if you get an overall 2.1 or whatever this year then of course you can say that but I think for your exam results it will just say pass, pass by compensation or fail.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Luno wrote: »
    I am not sure about the first or last question but to my understanding, you don't have 'First Class Honours' put with your results until you are in your final year so for the sake of argument, if you get an overall 2.1 or whatever this year then of course you can say that but I think for your exam results it will just say pass, pass by compensation or fail.

Hope that helps!

That'd also be my understanding. For the purpose of job applications etc, it's perfectly acceptable to give your overall result as opposed to just 'Pass' or 'Pass by compensation'. After final year, you will have a concrete result though that reflects the years work and any previous years work that counts towards your degree.

As for a), I know in my course, you could fail up to 10 credits by 10% or less and pass by compensation. Best thing to do would be consult your own department on these rules.

Advertisement