Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone limiting data download to 100MB.

• 13-02-2015 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Ive just recently got an unlimited data plan from Three and paid a premium for an Iphone 6 plus on the 24th of January 2015. Ive just discovered that there is a built in download limit applied by apples iOS8 when using the mobile data 4G/3G.
    This takes effect when trying to download Apps >100MB and I cannot download any purchased videos from Itunes. It prompts to the screen that you need to connect to wifi. This discovery means that my unlimited data package from Three is useless.
    Ive contacted Apple, Three, comreg and the National Consumer Affairs on this matter.
    Talking with Apple yesterday, they admitted that Apple have an agreement with the service providers and themselves to limit the amount of data to <100MB.
    Ive contacted comreg to ask for advice on this and they will not go further unless I have in writing what Apple stated to me yesterday.
    I then contacted Apple again today and was transferred to a team lead. I was informed this time that he didn't know anything about this but will look into. I was also informed that its Apples policy and procedure not to send anything in writing which is a major issue because this blocks me from comreg taking this case.
    This is important to note that comreg which regulates our communications, was unaware of my issue related to my issue.!!
    Ive contacted Three yesterday about this issue and was put through to a team lead and Three said they didn't know anything about this issue!!
    Today Three contacted me and informed me that they are aware of this download limit applied to the Iphones 6 iOS8 but that Three has not requested it. I asked was this mentioned in my terms and conditions in my contract with Three and they said no. I requested this information in writing or the call recording but they advised me that I needed to send a letter with over €6 to request this information and could take up to 40 days.
    I then contacted NCA and stated the above information and I was advised to send a letter to cancel this contract because my consumer rights have been broken since the goods are not fit for purpose. I need to now send a registered mail to Three and may need to go to the small claims court.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

That's always been the case with iPhones. Before iOS 6 or 7 it was 50mb max for downloading apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 hugh123

guil wrote: »
    That's always been the case with iPhones. Before iOS 6 or 7 it was 50mb max for downloading apps.
    Quiet a fast response user guil, 22 minutes. I'm very amazed at your response when comreg, NCA, Three and Apple support today had no knowledge of this limit.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Apple are aware that there are a lot of plans that have a very small data allowance, so they have a limit on the size. BTW, Three can throttle your speed if you consistently go over 15GB, which you wouldn't be long doing downloading movies. Thats a T&C you might want to be aware of.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

hugh123 wrote: »
    Quiet a fast response user guil, 22 minutes. I'm very amazed at your response when comreg, NCA, Three and Apple support today had no knowledge of this limit.

iPhone users will be well aware of it over the last 3 or 4 years.

FourFourFM wrote: »
    There is a limit in place of 100mb by Apple. Contacting Comreg/Three won't change that limit. Don't expect it to change because you make a big deal about it either. If you think a small claims court are going to make this change either you might need your head examined. Nobody has breached your contract. Three offer you unlimited data, how does Apple's limit of 100mb downloads breach your contact? Three don't control Apple policy. Your whole claim for some sort of breach of contract is idiotic.

I never heard of such a stricting response before FourFourFm!! Im quoting what was told to me from NCA. Unlimited minus 100MB doesnt equal unlimited and thats the responsibility of Three.

• Advertisement

whiterebel wrote: »
    Apple are aware that there are a lot of plans that have a very small data allowance, so they have a limit on the size. BTW, Three can throttle your speed if you consistently go over 15GB, which you wouldn't be long doing downloading movies. Thats a T&C you might want to be aware of.
    It would be fair to allow me to use enough data that meets the fair usage policy!!

whiterebel wrote: »
    iPhone users will be well aware of it over the last 3 or 4 years.

Its that fair for all others user?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

Do you not have wifi at home for when you need large apps/movies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

It used to be 10meg , then 20 , now its 100 as you found out

Its the phone/iOS itself that limits the downloads over 3g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭WeHaveToGoBack

This is Apple's limitation, and has nothing to do with Three. You really should have done more research into your purchase; you cant blame Three or Apple now.

• Advertisement

I had an Iphone4 with iOS7 and I could download my videos using my mobile network and I stopped using that device December 2014.

....... and paid a premium for an Iphone 6 plus ....

That wouldn't have much of bearing on the download limit though ?

So while the iPhone 6 costs just $200 to make
    — and the iPhone 6 Plus just $15 more

— consumers pay $100 extra to get the phone with the larger screen.

8c03c374672e076bee66ea17822b01a2.png

This is Apple's limitation, and has nothing to do with Three. You really should have done more research into your purchase; you cant blame Three or Apple now.

Ive signed a contract with Three to buy an Iphone and to use it with my unlimited data and this is not the case because of the limitation with the Iphone. Its something Three was aware of before I signed the contract and is not stated in the terms and conditions as Ive found out today, therefore Three mis-sold me goods.

gctest50 wrote: »
    That wouldn't have much of bearing on the download limit though ?

Boards.ie registered to Ireland and we use Euros not dollars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Ive signed a contract with Three to buy an Iphone and to use it with my unlimited data and this is not the case because of the limitation with the Iphone. Its something Three was aware of before I signed the contract and is not stated in the terms and conditions as Ive found out today, therefore Three mis-sold me goods.

That's like saying I bought a BMW and BMW claim it can do 250kph, however I found in Ireland I'm not allowed to drive faster than 120kph. I want my money back cause I can't drive it @250kph.
    3 give you unlimited data, they can't help that apple won't let you download apps greater than 100mb over 3/4G. Three didn't break any contract t&c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

This is absolutely hilarious. You didn't do your research on your phone and you're looking to blame the service provider

Hahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

This is a limitation of the handset/IOS not something that three have implemented. Three allow you to have unlimited data its apple thats stopping you. For instance you can download more than 100mbs with netflix in one viewing, as a result I think this case would fall more into the lines of mis sold goods rather than breach of contract.

However it would only be classed as mis sold by small claims if you asked the sales rep about any limitations that the device might have and the sales rep misinformed you. This was not the case. Yes three knew about this fact and probably know a few other things they didnt tell you and you are not aware of, but a sales rep cant be expected to tel you every single detail (did you know in some cases you have a credit limit with three as a new customer? you cant spend more than 50 euro over your bill before three will cut you off and ask for a payment)

The fact that you didn't investigate properly means the fault lies with you and thus you cannot return the phone or cancel the contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

flyguy wrote: »
    That's like saying I bought a BMW and BMW claim it can do 250kph, however I found in Ireland I'm not allowed to drive faster than 120kph. I want my money back cause I can't drive it @250kph.
    3 give you unlimited data, they can't help that apple won't let you download apps greater than 100mb over 3/4G. Three didn't break any contract t&c.

excellent example

Its not just Three, either. eMobile do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

I had an Iphone4 with iOS7 and I could download my videos using my mobile network and I stopped using that device December 2014.

If you're trying to say there was no limit on app sizes then you are downright lying.

• Advertisement

Boards.ie registered to Ireland and we use Euros not dollars

我沒有買它

• Registered Users Posts: 10 funnysunny

Not a problem with my 6 at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

funnysunny wrote: »
    Not a problem with my 6 at all
    It's only for over the air (not connected to wifi) downloads from the App Store/iTunes Store/iBooks Store.

This is a limit imposed by apple and it's for good measure as there is a lot more carriers out there that don't offer unlimited data than those who do.

I really hope the OP takes this further and wastes everyone's time and his own :D

I really love how the cost of making the phone is used to "strengthen" the argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

You still have unlimited broadband, just you cannot download a single file more than 100MB. Makes sense.
    Anyway, fair usage will kick in if you keep downloading HD movies over 3G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

There is no limitation with the iPhone.

In the same way that you cannot upload full size images to Apples iCloud system . You can't blame three for this. This is Apples engineering

Apple are restricting to 100MB per App on cellular. It tracks and knows when you are on cellular.

The example of the BMW is the best one yet to describe your situation.

flyguy wrote: »

Not comparing like for like. I bought a package deal from Three, an Iphone with an unlimited data plan. I didnt go to Ireland LTD to purchase a package deal, a BMW with no speed limit plan because as you rightly pointed that would be a lie. If that wasnt a lie I could go over 120kmph in Ireland. BMW dont have a built in limiter!!

guil wrote: »
    If you're trying to say there was no limit on app sizes then you are downright lying.

Anything stated by me with regards to this post is true and Im not lying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

BMW dont have a built in limiter!!

Yes, they do.

Dodge wrote: »
    This is absolutely hilarious. You didn't do your research on your phone and you're looking to blame the service provider

Hahaha

Why sell that package if I cannot use this unlimited data plan. Everyone I spoke to including one of the Team leads in Apple support and the team lead in Three support were not aware of the data limitation imposed by the iphone. It is amazing that everyone who has replied to this post is aware of this data download limitation on the iphone and not one of you seem to be bothered about that. We fortunately have data plans in Ireland that allow us to download unlimited data and obviuosly the fair usage policy applies here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Not comparing like for like. I bought a package deal from Three, an Iphone with an unlimited data plan. I didnt go to Ireland LTD to purchase a package deal, a BMW with no speed limit plan because as you rightly pointed that would be a lie. BMW dont have a built in limiter!!

You chose the iPhone, you didn't have to. This is your fault for not doing your research.
    You are on an unlimited data plan. It's a bit like getting the unlimited refills thing in Subway, you can have as many as you want but not more than the size of the cup at one time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement