Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone limiting data download to 100MB.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

hugh123 wrote: »
    Why sell that package if I cannot use this unlimited data plan.

You can. Just not to download an app or movie over 100MB over the air. Christ, it's not that difficult to get your head around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Mourinho

Edit: outta interest if you tethered a iPad to your iPhone would that be able to download over the limit? It should see it as a wifi connection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Ive signed a contract with Three to buy an Iphone and to use it with my unlimited data and this is not the case because of the limitation with the Iphone. Its something Three was aware of before I signed the contract and is not stated in the terms and conditions as Ive found out today, therefore Three mis-sold me goods.
    This is an Apple issue, related to the iTunes store, isn't it? The iPhone itself doesn't limit downloads to 100mb, nor do Three?

As far as I can tell this isn't totally different to you buying a Ford Focus and then going back to the garage to complain when the motorway provider (which is Apple, in this lazy analogy), restricts you to driving at a certain speed limit on their motorways.

Your problem isn't with Three, from what I can tell.

Also, fwiw, I've been aware of the limit for years, due to travelling a alot at weekends and having to download podcasts for the journey. It's never been something that has bothered me. I sign up to Apple's products knowing I'll have to use wifi beyond a certain point.

EDIT: Skimming back through the thread I see someone else has used my car analogy. Great minds and all that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

Recent article on Macworld UK, might be relevant, especially the last paragraph.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/iphone/apple-bumps-approved-size-for-ios-apps-lets-them-eat-twice-the-memory-3598010/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Anything stated by me with regards to this post is true and Im not lying.

You're delusional if you think you downloaded big apps over mobile before. You never could unless you jailbreak the phone. It was 50mb and someone else said it was only 20mb before that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

guil wrote: »
    ...It was 50mb and someone else said it was only 20mb before that.

It was: http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/18/apple-increases-over-the-air-app-store-download-limit-to-100mb/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

Let's all stop defending apple.

This absolutely dense restriction is just another example of Apple's circling of the drain since S.J. died.

100mb apps is a joke for anyone outside the states (their mobile broadband is third world due to unbridled corporate monopolization) in 2015.

Apple WAS cool - from 2007 to 2012. It's been one cockup after another since ios7 which like the iPhone 5c and gold cases is basically dragging their premium reputation through the tech gutter with each passing day.

I was a die hard fan - but the next big thing is the Samsung edge. Have you seen that thing? Amazing.

Apple is junk. And their watch will fail hard too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

This absolutely dense restriction is just another example of Apple's circling of the drain since S.J. died.

100mb apps is a joke for anyone outside the states (their mobile broadband is third world due to unbridled corporate monopolization) in 2015.

Apple WAS cool - from 2007 to 2012. It's been one cockup after another since ios7 which like the iPhone 5c and gold cases is basically dragging their premium reputation through the tech gutter with each passing day.

I was a die hard fan - but the next big thing is the Samsung edge. Have you seen that thing? Amazing.

I don't think people were defending Apple but more of a case of explaining to the OP that nobody has breached any contract with this 100mb limit. This thread has went on for far too long now. It's a black and white limitation put in place to protect people from over-using mobile data. Whether it's right or wrong is irrelevant. Making claims to Three won't change one thing. Now that's fact.

With regards to your opinion on Apple and their recent years, that's a personal set of views. Apple's last quarter highlights that things are going very well for them though. You say the watch will fail as if you're some sort of expert in the field?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Nice troll.

$178,000,000,000 in the bank, nice failure.

Nice troll.

$178,000,000,000 in the bank, nice failure.

That's pure capitalization built on the revolutions of the PAST. They're just coasting carelessly, their perfect design and needling accuracy for the details that mattered wasting away by the day.

• Advertisement

That's pure capitalization built on the revolutions of the PAST. They're just coasting carelessly, their perfect design and needling accuracy for the details that mattered wasting away by the day.

74.5 million iPhones last Q. But I'm sure they're doomed. Samsung will take over, the Note Edge is revolutionary. I see a great need for the side toggles.....

FourFourFM wrote: »
    74.5 million iPhones last Q. But I'm sure they're doomed. Samsung will take over, the Note Edge is revolutionary. I see a great need for the side toggles.....

It's just momentum and they're lazily squandering it. Truth is android is crap too - apples touch response is still more fluid but mark my words - they'll patch a mistake in there eventually cos they just like to let it all hang out these days.

Sickens me how they keep letting themselves slide. See the problem with being so squeaky clean with your design is that when you start to get sloppy it looks worse than if you were always a bit rough around the edges.

I don't think they've got what it takes to pull their s#it together and it's painful to watch. Ha ha - watch. GOD that thing is truly hideous.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 hugh123

FourFourFM wrote: »
    I don't think people were defending Apple but more of a case of explaining to the OP that nobody has breached any contract with this 100mb limit. This thread has went on for far too long now. It's a black and white limitation put in place to protect people from over-using mobile data. Whether it's right or wrong is irrelevant. Making claims to Three won't change one thing. Now that's fact.

With regards to your opinion on Apple and their recent years, that's a personal set of views. Apple's last quarter highlights that things are going very well for them though. You say the watch will fail as if you're some sort of expert in the field?
    FourFourFM, your not the police here. People have the right to post here and it will go on as long as it needs to. This thread is meant to relate to Irish consumers and to make people aware of what forced limits are being applied.
    Personally I will make sure people in Ireland will be made aware of my situation.

FourFourFM, your not the police here. People have the right to post here and it will go on as long as it needs to. This thread is meant to relate to Irish consumers and to make people aware of what forced limits are being applied.
    Personally I will make sure people in Ireland will be made aware of my situation.

You're not getting it. This applies to everyone using an iPhone regardless of what country they live in or what cellular carrier they use.

There is no case here & nobody has wronged you at all.

I'm not policing anything, just stating facts. Everyone in this thread has told you this information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

I think anyone with an iPhone is aware of this limit over cellular networks. It's an annoying limit to have but that's how it is always has been on iOS. It's most likely in place to stop people going over their data limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Best of luck with that.
    I take it that we'll be seeing news reports about your hunger strike outside Apple HQ in Cork over the course of the next few weeks?

To my knowledge currently, no one in the Three shop, my colleagues, my extended network, Three support initially, apple support team lead were not aware of this limitation and even at first the Apple support stated that these limitations on download speed is done in collaboration with service providers and these are the facts and shouldn't be ignored.
    As consumers we should be made aware of these facts especially if something as vital as limitation your data download which directly affects your mobile plan. Not everyone is as savvy Apple users as yourselves and its apparent that not a large amount are not as informed as you all are, the small amount of people who have replied to this thread.
    I have asked one of my colleagues today about Samsung and he has replied by saying his Samsung phone has a user defined download limit. A USER defined download limit. He has the right to limit his download usage if his mobile plan has a download limit.
    Also to answer about the wifi question, why should I purchase home broadband if I'm already paying a large amount per month for unlimited data on my mobile plan from Three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Also to answer about the wifi question, why should I purchase home broadband if I'm already paying a large amount per month for unlimited data on my mobile plan from Three.

You can do what you like. You now know the limitations and talking around in circles here.

If you want to proceed with your claim, then good luck to you. Report back when there's any updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

To my knowledge currently, no one in the Three shop, my colleagues, my extended network, Three support initially, apple support team lead were aware of this limitation and even at first the Apple support stated that these limitations on download speed is done in collaboration with service providers and these are the facts and shouldn't be ignored.
    As consumers we should be made aware of these facts especially if something as vital as limitation your data download which directly affects your mobile plan. Not everyone is as savvy Apple users as yourselves and its apparent that not a large amount are not as informed as you all are, the small amount of people who have replied to this thread.
    I have asked one of my colleagues today about Samsung and he has replied by saying his Samsung phone has a user defined download limit. A USER defined download limit. He has the right to limit his download usage if his mobile plan has a download limit.

Sir to be honest here, Apple or three are not limiting you downloading any content except for one key area. The App itself over 100MB. How many times are you actually going to comes across this???

Seriously as the other poster has pointed out, you are going around in circles.

That user defined limit is for everything data, not just apps. So again not like for like.

I see your point and what you are looking for, but you got to look at this. Apple restrict the data on their app store, for certain apps over 100mb. Thats it. that is all you have an issue with. it's tiny and something you should raise with Apple.

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Best of luck with that.
    I take it that we'll be seeing news reports about your hunger strike outside Apple HQ in Cork over the course of the next few weeks?

Hahaha, I like me food too much for that

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

To my knowledge currently, no one in the Three shop, my colleagues, my extended network, Three support initially, apple support team lead were not aware of this limitation and even at first the Apple support stated that these limitations on download speed is done in collaboration with service providers and these are the facts and shouldn't be ignored.

Not everyone has unlimited plans, but I'm sure you know that, despite repeating the same thing over and over. All carriers are subject to the same limitation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Two things here to note, as everybody else has told you Apple apply a 100MB download limit to apps downloaded from their App Store. Any apps larger than that size will have to be downloaded over wifi, this apples to every iPhone running iOS at the moment. Apple implemented this to stop people complaining about apps taking all their all their credit or running up a huge bill when downloading and updating apps.

Another thing, when Three say 'unlimited data' you do know there's a fair usage policy on that? You can only download a certain amount of data (usually 7.5GB) before Three throttle your speed until it's unusable. For me that's the real problem with these contracts.

I think Apple should offer the option to increase your own limit but it would probably lead to complaints from people about huge bills, Apps are pretty big on the App Store these days, most apps I own are close to if not over 100MB, especially games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

While, Three do have a fair usage policy, I am not aware of this ever being implemented. For my own part, I've been with them since 2006, use it mainly in the north, download, tether, stream and so on and have never seen either my speed curtailed or any other restrictions apply.

Of course, that's just an aside and has nothing to do with the OP's silly complaint which is a US-originated restriction imposed by Apple and which in no way impacts upon his AYCE offering from Three.

I was aware of Three's fair usage policies but I have been searching for it on three.ie relating to my unlimited bill plan and the fair usage policies for mobile data is not there or is hard to find.
    It should be up to the user to apply their own constraints to suit their own bill plan not the manufacturer.

I was aware of Three's fair usage policies but I have been searching for it on three.ie relating to my unlimited bill plan and the fair usage policies for mobile data is not there or is hard to find.
    It should be up to the user to apply their own constraints to suit their own bill plan not the manufacturer.

That's as may be but it simply isn't the case and if you keep on hitting your head on this brick wall, it's gonna hurt.

As a Three customer, you're entitled to free access to Bitbuzz wifi. Get their app, sign up and download all that you want to when connected to Bitbuzz.

Have you tried googling

http://www.three.ie/terms-conditions/services/all-you-can-eat-data-terms-conditions/

Seriously. This is going round in circles

Dodge wrote: »
    Have you tried googling

http://www.three.ie/terms-conditions/services/all-you-can-eat-data-terms-conditions/

Seriously. This is going round in circles

Not only that, but Three's T&Cs have absolutely nothing to do with the limitation imposed by Apple.

culabula wrote: »
    Not only that, but Three's T&Cs have absolutely nothing to do with the limitation imposed by Apple.

and that limitation only applies to itunes...

The fact that Three offers an Unlimited Data plan in IRELAND and are selling this along side the iPhone with its built in Data limitation is absolutely ridiculous and unfair to the consumer.
    Not much people (a very small percentage of the population in Ireland) are actually adding to this Thread and anyone who feels like this thread is a waste of your time, please feel free to go to another Thread or to remove your fingers from the keyboard and go out to the fresh air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

The fact that Three offers an Unlimited Data plan in IRELAND and are selling this along side the iPhone with its built in Data limitation is absolutely ridiculous and unfair to the consumer.
    Not much people (a very small percentage of the population in Ireland) are actually adding to this Thread and anyone who feels like this thread is a waste of your time, please feel free to go to another Thread or to remove your fingers from the keyboard and go out to the fresh air.

The iPhone doesn't have a data limit though. You can consume as much data as you like, you just can't download any single app over 100MB from the App Store. It's a little annoying I agree with you, but I don't think you were mis-sold your iPhone by Three.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement