Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoothwall express

• 13-02-2015 9:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

Anyone using smoothwall express at home? I am thinking of sitting a little box between my modem and router and I was just wondering what hardware people have been using and how much hassle it is (pppoe setup etc)

Basically I want to have a mini-itx or similar size but dont want to spend more than a couple of hundred. Ideally fanless, but could deal with a quiet fan cooled device.

Also, I used smoothwall about 8 years ago and it worked really well and without constant attention (once I figured out how to get it to talk to my old dlink adsl modem!) .... are there other options out there now that are considered better?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I haven't used it, or any standalone firewall, but on the hardware side, perhaps a bare-bones laptop (say no screen/KB/HDD) with a PCMCIA/Expresscard LAN card, or a SFF Optiplex with a low-profile PCI LAN added might suit. You'd pick up either of those for a lot less than 200.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Get an ethernet to USB adapter and a Raspberry Pi(if you dont have one already). Works very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

I used Smoothwall for a few years (although it's quite a few years back now). I've also used a few others such as IPCop and pfSense.

Smoothwall and IPCop are both very good and will probably do everything you want. However, my own preference is for pfSense. I do think it's better than the other two.

I've since bought an Edge Router from Ubiquiti. I find it far more configurable and I can work on the command line with it, write scripts, etc. It cost about €100 and I'm very pleased with it. I wouldn't describe it as a beginner device, however.

I had been trying to sell a Soekris Net4801 with pfSense (this was my firewall for a number of years) on adverts.ie but there's not much interest. So, if you want a low-powered device (solid-state) with pfSense pre-installed you're welcome to it.

Liam

Advertisement