Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York summer or winter?

Options
  • 13-02-2015 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

As above.. For those who have been to New York in both summer and winter which do you prefer? Trying to figure out should I go in June or hold out until November . Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ohbygod

Ive been a good few time i prefer it in nov/dec its magical

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Really depends on if you prefer warm or cold weather. We have been in both summer and winter and in my experience you will still be doing the same things. We are going again this June and taking the kids that's why we picked June it would be easier in better weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Go in late October. Weather is lovely and all the houses will be kitted out for Halloween. They really make the effort in their decorating.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

If you can hold off until Thanksgiving all the stores will have their Christmas displays up - really makes for a nice walk up 5th Ave.

I like the city in June too, though...usually not too hot, and places like Central Park are more inviting than when it's cold.

Don't come today -

Current Conditions

Fair
    20°F
    -7°C

Humidity31%
    Wind SpeedNW 7 mph
    Barometer30.12 in (1019.4 mb)
    Dewpoint-6°F (-21°C)
    Visibility10.00 mi
    Wind Chill11°F (-12°C)
    Last Update on 13 Feb 4:51 pm EST

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

As the other have said, neither. Spring or Autumn.

Personally I'd prefer winter but if you miss hot sticky summers then head over in June.

• Advertisement

The few times I've been to NYC in Summer, it was humid as hell. I like hot weather, but the humidity had me fleeing into a shop every now and then just to get some of that sweet air-con. I was after coming from Tennessee which was a lovely 40 degrees C, a good 10 hotter than NYC, but because of the humidity NYC was quite uncomfortable.

As for Winter, apart from a nightmare stopover in JFK on Christmas Eve some years back which doesn't count, I've never been. I will say this though, I was in JFK at the time they got one of those nightmare blizzards you see on the news and I was out and about walking around outside the terminal; It was definitely not that cold, not if you're regular abode is in Ireland.

I hope to visit New York in late November either this year or next, I reckon the Christmas scenery would make it even more breathtaking.

I'd go Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

I've lived here for twenty years and would recommend summer every time. Putting the actual weather aside for a moment there's a ton more going on in the summer: free concerts in the park, baseball games, days at Coney Island, free outdoor movies, etc. It's the time of year when all the locals are happiest and people are out and about having a good time and being social.

During winter people tend to hunker down and just get on with work etc. Having said that, Halloween is amazing here. I really don't rate Christmas in New York that highly, although an afternoon in midtown checking out the ice skating etc. is nice. It's just not that different to the atmosphere in Dublin at that time of year though, whereas summer in nyc really has an amazing vibe. And it really hasn't been that hot here most days in recent summers. You can always go to a movie or a bar to cool down for a couple of hours. Personally if I had to put up with the Irish climate it's more hot weather I'd be looking for, not less.

Advertisement