Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Black Sabbaths debut released 45 years ago today

• 13-02-2015 9:39pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Rather apt that it was released on Friday the 13th

Whatever your opinion on Black Sabbath, you can't deny they paved the way for a lot of bands that came after them

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

It's funny how it's nearly 50 years old yet sounds pretty modern, like I mean you could have a record from the 50s but it sounds of its time. Whereas you still have bands that more or less use all the basic elements that are present NIB. Plus that song is better than 90% of contemporary music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

The title track came on my ipod today (coincidence) and I said to myself, could you imagine hearing it for the first time at the time, would have blown you away.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

The whole album is a gem, from start to finish. When you look at the classic genre defining records, i'd put Black Sabbath up at the top of the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Apparently they recorded it one day? No computers to cover up your mistakes back then either. Just good musicianship all the way through. I wish we could get a little more of that vibe going on today. A lot of contemporary metal sounds overly produced to me.

Aye Black Sabbath recorded their self titled debut in 1 day, which is amazing considering how long it now takes bands/musicians to write a record.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Ozzy said in his book, the first time they played the song Black Sabbath live, about half the audience ran out of the place screaming, I'd love to have been there to witness that, it's strange how nowadays their music is almost considered to be easy listening compared to a lot of bands that followed them, the general impression I get is that people were genuinely terrified of them back then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Ozzy said in his book, the first time they played the song Black Sabbath live, about half the audience ran out of the place screaming, I'd love to have been there to witness that, it's strange how nowadays their music is almost considered to be easy listening compared to a lot of bands that followed them, the general impression I get is that people were genuinely terrified of them back then.
    Well, look at the album cover and it's not hard to see why!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

It does look a bit sinister alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

The whole thing is just class. I must give it a spin later on.
    The Wizard is the best use of a harmonica in metal IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭cro mags

The wizard is such a great track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Roanmore wrote: »
    The title track came on my ipod today (coincidence) and I said to myself, could you imagine hearing it for the first time at the time, would have blown you away.

It's strange but back then it was probably a form of expressionism against their working class upbringing, in the same way that Judas Priest sang about life in Birmingham. If you purchased it originally you either heard a recommendation or you were living in that subculture and associated with the music. I'm more amazed at how global and inspiration this whole movement became in such a short space of time. Misery inspires I guess.

The 4 original members of Black Sabbath made the best of a bad situation in late 60's Birmingham, they could've gone to work in factory's the rest of their lives or chase down a dream, lucky for metal fans worldwide they chose the latter option.

Advertisement