Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken fillet cooking time in oven?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

mel.b wrote: »
    I have a fan oven and the printed recipe says fan 170. The online recipe says 200 (doesn't say if fan forced or not). So it wasn't that I can't cook, it's that the printed recipe is most likely wrong.

The online recipe is referring to conventional fan temp.

The recipes do not differ at all.

That is what I've been trying to explain about oven temps/settings

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

monkeynuz wrote: »
    The online recipe is referring to conventional fan temp.

The recipes do not differ at all.

That is what I've been trying to explain about oven temps/settings

What does the 190 refer to then in the printed recipe? I read that as 190 for non-forced fan oven and 170 for fan oven. When I made it, I only had the printed recipe. I only found the online one when I started this post.

What does the 190 refer to then in the printed recipe? I read that as 190 for non-forced fan oven and 170 for fan oven. When I made it, I only had the printed recipe. I only found the online one when I started this post.

190/200 are both non fan temps. 170 is a bit over zealous for gas 5 (160) but you did nothing wrong by setting fan to 170. How many fillets were you cooking or was there other stuff in the oven at the time as the more stuff there is in the oven the longer it can take.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

There was only one fillet in, and a few potato crocquettes, so the oven was hardly full. If i had only seen the online recipe I would have cooked it at 200c fan. It would never cross my mind that that wasn't the fan temp.

There was only one fillet in, and a few potato crocquettes, so the oven was hardly full. If i had only seen the online recipe I would have cooked it at 200c fan. It would never cross my mind that that wasn't the fan temp.

That's why knowing the equivalents for gas is useful as that is always reliable (ish)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I think we can chalk this one up to a confusing recipe :).

A thermometer is a good idea, but I've always had a hard time getting a read from small cuts of meat. A digital one is definitely the best one to get.

Faith wrote: »
    I think we can chalk this one up to a confusing recipe :).

A thermometer is a good idea, but I've always had a hard time getting a read from small cuts of meat. A digital one is definitely the best one to get.

Not confusing at all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Not confusing at all really.

We're making a meal of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

endacl wrote: »
    We're making a meal of it...
    Indeed we are. Let's leave it at that before just desserts need to be served.
    Further constructive advice is fine. Mickey-taking is not.

tHB

PS - Better luck next time Mel.b. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It wasn't wobbly anyway! But definitely pink. Any recommendations for a good thermometer?!!
    The poster also asked if it was solid looking and then pink. If chicken is undercooked if you cut it the outside layer should be cooked with a raw middle inside.

Like this
    undercooked+A.png

Also did you have a lid on the cooking dish? You should not have one as it will insulate the meat when it goes into the oven at first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Did you close the oven door?

:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement