Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog eating through wires

• 13-02-2015 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭

Hi All

Looking for some advice, my 11 weeks old puppy(terrier and Jack russel mix) is eating through any wires he can find, mainly the sky wire and Internet cables as these are the only ones I can't move from floor level. I've tried the cable covers, the spray he should not like the taste of and nothing is working. He only does it at nighttime when I go bed, I think it's because he's bored. I leave toys, kongs, etc and He would probably be on his own downstairs for 7 hours.

I'm hoping that this is a phase he will grow out of. I have an open plan living/kitchen area that he has free reign of. I'm considering putting him in the utility room at night time but worry it's too small?? - the open floor space about 4ftby 2ft.

Any opinions or suggestions on how to deter the chewing or the space of the utility room would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

It's hard to beat a playpen in cases like this!
    http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/rodents/runs_fencing/metal/8_sided/126789

Not to hold the dog in, but to keep him out, keep him away from forbidden areas by fencing them off. You can open out these pens so that you can make them into whatever shape you like, so they're great for fencing off a TV area.
    They're a damn handy thing to have anyway, and they fold down flat when you're not using them.
    He will most likely eventually grow through this op, but you most certainly don't want any more damage, or an injured puppy, while you wait for him to get a bit of sense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

As the other poster says the play pen is fine but I think the utility is an ok size as well. Puppies really can do alot of damage if left on the their own. The first night we got ours we left him in the kitchen and he completely destroyed the lino and it was only down a few months. He ripped it to pieces. We couldnt believe a puppy could do so much damage. But 5 years on he is just perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

The utility is probably perfect but I wouldn't have the washer or dryer on! Other than that just look at the wires in there if they're out of the way I'd use it !

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Wexy86

I left him in the utility room last night and he slept a treat, no crying/barking or any damage done. When I came down this morn he had done his business on the mats and had to be woke up. He didn't eat straight away but I guess/hope that might be due to the fact he was only woken up, he usually awake before I get down.

Just left him for 30 mins there to go to the shop and put him in there again, left the laptop on with the webcam on to see what he does - as I hoped he does nothing but sleep :-) might try the webcam again tonight, a tad too far but want to make sure he's content :p

I have ordered one of those pens also so he can have time in the living area unsupervised and can let him outside it in also - my garden is not enclosed so can only go out on a lead.

Thanks for the replies folk ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

You should be taking him out the loo during the night if you're planning on toilet training him - otherwise you're going to confuse him thinking it's ok to go in the house.

• Advertisement
Advertisement