Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you pay to change your appearance?

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ynul31f47k6b59

No
    Best of luck efb. I'm planning on spending money on cosmetic dentistry, nothing "wrong" with my teeth, they aren't rotten, they function - I just hate them and have done since I was a teenager so I will do this for me when I save the money up.

I've had two c-sections from having kids and I wouldn't go under the knife for cosmetics, not after recovery from those.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

No
    efb wrote: »
    War wound

What happened your lips? Good luck healing

I am, in a way. Have been wearing braces for the last year. Feeling the pain of new wires for the last few days but it'll be so worth it in the end! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭HiGlo

No
    I would totally get cosmetic surgery... I'd love some work done on my chin (it almost blends into my neck... :( ), and am thinking of getting lip fillers. I am not opposed to a bit of botox and while it's more dentistry than surgery, I want some work done on my teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

No
    eternal wrote: »
    What happened your lips? Good luck healing

Chapped - cold weather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

No
    I voted yes, don't see the problem, if you can afford it and it gives whatever benefits one is looking for then why not.

No
    Karsini wrote: »
    I am, in a way. Have been wearing braces for the last year. Feeling the pain of new wires for the last few days but it'll be so worth it in the end! :)

My sister looks great after her braces

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

No
    i'd like to be taller ....6ft

and have a bigger mickey

No
    Here's me post op bandages off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Lookin' good, efb! I didn't see you before but they look perfect now. You've lovely eyes. :)

Good luck recovering. How are you feeling?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Yes

P.Gadd
    X3575 HMP Wormwood Scrubs

No
    Lookin' good, efb! I didn't see you before but they look perfect now. You've lovely eyes. :)

Good luck recovering. How are you feeling?

Eyes v sore atm. A before pic is a few pages back btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Good job. Fair play. How's the vision?

No
    Today eyes are swollen I feel like I've done a few rounds with Mickey Ward!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Fitness Motivation

No
    So in the end what were peoples thoughts on cosmetic surgery?

I can see that some people were for and against due to the poll results but I suppose it really is a personal issue about how your appearance makes you feel and are you willing to go that extra mile and pay to improve your level of confidence.

Really it is no different than having braces to straighten your teeth, plastic surgery is about enhancing the features that is already there.

Has anyone on this thread actually undergone surgery? Nose job, Lipo, eyebrow lift etc and what would they recommend to those who are considering these options?

Cheers

No
    Here's me today vs before

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Walnutsink

Getting strabismus surgery on Thursday, exotropia in my right eye and my left eye lowered a little to match up. Curious about the recovery period and post op function. Did you get any double vision?

No
    No. I didn't.

Recovery is slow and painful.

Every still a bit bloodshot but worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Walnutsink

But I guess its worth it in the end, your alignment is perfect now. Did you get the adjustable ones where they do some fine tuning when you're awake at the end?

I have 4 days recovery before I go back to work, hopefully I'll be ok by then!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭FueledbyCoffee

No
    Here's me today vs before

There's a big difference there, hope you enjoy the results

• Advertisement

No
    Walnutsink wrote: »
    But I guess its worth it in the end, your alignment is perfect now. Did you get the adjustable ones where they do some fine tuning when you're awake at the end?

I have 4 days recovery before I go back to work, hopefully I'll be ok by then!

Yes it's definitely worth it.

4 days is quite short

Yes he did fine tuning and the stitches are most annoying afterwards

No
    There's a big difference there, hope you enjoy the results

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Fair play efb, that looks like a big difference already(and I assume that there is a lot more healing to go as with all surgery).
    Great result and good for you.

If I had the money, I'd have the works :D

No
    Smidge wrote: »
    Fair play efb, that looks like a big difference already(and I assume that there is a lot more healing to go as with all surgery).
    Great result and good for you.

If I had the money, I'd have the works :D

That's it, just my bloodshotedness to clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

i should be coming into a lot of money this year, then ima gonna fix me my teeths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

That's it, just my bloodshotedness to clear.

That's what I meant and the sight adjustments etc. Looks great :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

No
    Glad you're happy with it efb ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Hells yeah, I reckon if I came into a lot of money I'd go to town - botox, boob job, lips, laser eye surgery, laser hair removal, the works.

Don't need any of it but I'm into looks and I have the capacity to be remarkably vain and if I'm minted I may as well become an almighty ride if I can afford it. Life's short and all that jazz.

Fair play on the OP Efb, I'd say it'll be one of the best things you've ever done for yourself. Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

No
    I was really considering some 'help' when I'm earning again (returned to college to retrain).

But I'm worried about the results - I think Botox can look odd as can those startled eyes but I'd love to make my lips plumper, like they were when I was younger. I'd possibly like a chemical peel to brighten it all up.

I'd get the works done bodywise but I hate surgery, hate it. I was very ill last year and recovery was terrible. Now I'm better but feel the whole thing hurtled me into middle age.

So probably will invest the money in much more regular maintenance - better hair, skin, clothes etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Sorry for not reading the whole thread efb as I've had a few pints.

How does it effect your vision? Do you have double vision or are you able to fuse images from both eyes? Has your 3D vision returned?

I've had a squint since my teens and it's never really bothered me too much, but if I could attain 3D vision then I might consider surgery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

(Almost) everyone already does....

If you wear makeup - you are paying to change your appearance.
    If you have a tattoo - you paid to change your appearance.
    If you've had braces - you paid to change your appearance.
    If you've had your ear's (or anything else) pierced....you've paid to change your appearance.
    Hair dye? Yup - same deal.

If you've paid to have your hair cut, paid for new clothes, gone tanning, worked out to improve your physique. The only difference between a pretty new dress and a surgical operation is how much you are willing to spend and how much pain you're willing to endure. Neither is better than the other, it's just a preference. I've never met ANYONE who didn't pay to change their appearance. We're all shallow and we're all happy to spend money to look better.

I can't speak for the ~40% that said no, but I remain skeptical of their claim.

No
    stimpson wrote: »
    Sorry for not reading the whole thread efb as I've had a few pints.

How does it effect your vision? Do you have double vision or are you able to fuse images from both eyes? Has your 3D vision returned?

I've had a squint since my teens and it's never really bothered me too much, but if I could attain 3D vision then I might consider surgery.

You won't get 3D vision. Your eyesight is unaffected. It's purely cosmetic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

No
    UCDVet wrote: »
    (Almost) everyone already does....

If you wear makeup - you are paying to change your appearance.
    If you have a tattoo - you paid to change your appearance.
    If you've had braces - you paid to change your appearance.
    If you've had your ear's (or anything else) pierced....you've paid to change your appearance.
    Hair dye? Yup - same deal.

If you've paid to have your hair cut, paid for new clothes, gone tanning, worked out to improve your physique. The only difference between a pretty new dress and a surgical operation is how much you are willing to spend and how much pain you're willing to endure. Neither is better than the other, it's just a preference. I've never met ANYONE who didn't pay to change their appearance. We're all shallow and we're all happy to spend money to look better.

I can't speak for the ~40% that said no, but I remain skeptical of their claim.

I disagree with a few points here; a dress isn't a permanent change, you can take it off.
    The majority of people didn't pay for their braces; that was taken care of by their parents or the state.
    Tattoos are permanent and piercings are semi-permanent (scars often are) but they are accessories at the end of the day and not to be mistakenly attributed to good genes or a healthy lifestyle.
    Dying hair; ok I could masquerade as a natural blonde and the same deal with makeup and tanning. Again, these are not permanent changes though like for example, a nose job or breast augmentation.
    If you work out to change your body, you have worked out and not paid. People who buy new glutes for themselves are buying an ass which looks like they work out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I pay a barber to cut my hair, that's changing my appearance, no ?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Madame_Diem

I would. If I had the money I would pay to have my hair back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement