Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Framing your work

Options
  • 14-02-2015 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi,

Just bought myself a canon pro 100 to start printing A3+ size photos. Starting a little sideline business and hopefully it will take off but I am finding it very hard to find frames to fit these size photos.

Don't know what my options are other then just to buy A2 size frames and mounts and cut them out, but does anybody have any experience in printing off these size images and getting them framed for a reasonable cost? I dont mind bulk buying if I know they are what I want. I have googled and got quotes from people but the prices are not good as I want to keep the costs and selling prices down in order to obtain business......the usual. Like I said, just a sideline business for the moment but would love anybodies experience in photos of this size.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

With frames, like many things, you get what you pay. The cheapest frames are often very flimsy and fall apart in a short while.

A frame which is used very commonly is made to take 16" x 20" matt. This will take A3 prints. You will need to buy some matt board and the gear to cut it with a bevel unless you can make all your prints exactly the same size and use pre-cut mounts.

You can talk to stcstc on here who does printing and mounting professionally and he will give you good advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Balfey1972

I got some last week from Gavin Byrne in Frametastic. 23 x 17 Inch Solid Ash Black frame with 2 inch mount and backing board. They are perfect for the A3+ prints I done.

http://frametastic.net/ or https://www.facebook.com/frametasticpress?fref=ts
    Delivered as well. Top Class frames.

Or if you are over southside give StcStc @ 360dpi a call too.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/360dpi/138114206231870?fref=ts

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭scobyobrien

Cheers lads, some good advice here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Hi,

Just bought myself a canon pro 100 to start printing A3+ size photos. Starting a little sideline business and hopefully it will take off but I am finding it very hard to find frames to fit these size photos.

OR..... just print to a size that you can get a frame for lower than A3. You don't *have* to print to the maximum that you can print (thought that may be what you want to do).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

a3 isnt a photographic size, so you either crop images to fit the paper or print a size which fits on the paper

a 14*9.33 inch print which comfortably fits of a3 sits very nicely in a 20*16 frame, and the size is a 3:2 out of the camera ratio

20*16 is a really comon frame size, and you can buy lots of ready mades, i suggest not buying from some of the big shops are the frames are ones people recognise and so they get a perception that your work is cheap as they know the frame is, (if that makes sense)

the other nice thing about using a size like 20*16, if you can just order a whole bunch of mounts, cut and ready to use, and then order a bunch of ready made frames and assemble yourself etc

hope this helps

• Advertisement

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    OR..... just print to a size that you can get a frame for lower than A3. You don't *have* to print to the maximum that you can print (thought that may be what you want to do).

I know I dont have to, but I want too, hence why I bought it. Its for landscape photos and If I could, I would have bought a larger printer as bigger is better in my opinion

stcstc wrote: »
    a3 isnt a photographic size, so you either crop images to fit the paper or print a size which fits on the paper

a 14*9.33 inch print which comfortably fits of a3 sits very nicely in a 20*16 frame, and the size is a 3:2 out of the camera ratio

20*16 is a really comon frame size, and you can buy lots of ready mades, i suggest not buying from some of the big shops are the frames are ones people recognise and so they get a perception that your work is cheap as they know the frame is, (if that makes sense)

the other nice thing about using a size like 20*16, if you can just order a whole bunch of mounts, cut and ready to use, and then order a bunch of ready made frames and assemble yourself etc

hope this helps

Yeah thanks a million for that. I bought a mount cutter and some mount boards. Difficult to get the hand of cutting the little buggers but its a satisfactory feeling when you have it cut by yourself and to a size that you wanted it to be.

I do a slight panoramic shot if there is something I like and then stick in the A3 crop sizes. Sold a few thank God and really happy with this size.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

What way are you selling these, just as a matter of interest — online, or are they displayed somewhere like a shop/gallery/pub?

peckerhead wrote: »
    What way are you selling these, just as a matter of interest — online, or are they displayed somewhere like a shop/gallery/pub?

Word of mouth. Don't have much money to put into this at present so hoping to build slowly over the next few years.

I fear I will have to start pumping money into a website soon enough but at present, that's not an option for me

Advertisement