Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Service to find car details from registration

Options
  • 14-02-2015 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Sorry, this is a bit of a mixture of motoring and computing/web dev:

Does anyone know who provides the official webservice for supplying car details given a specific reg?

Sites like donedeal and carzone/autotrader can determine quite a bit of info based just on reg (make, model, year, engine size, transmission, nct expiry, road tax, number of doors). I know that motortax.ie will provide make+model if you type in, but there must be a public service provided by the government that provides the additional information.
    I have found a few sites that provide backgound checks on cars (mywheels.ie, cartell.ie, benchmark.ie) that seem to also get that info. They all must be getting it from same source, or combining a few different sources.

I'm asking out of general curiosity mixed with the fact I'd like to play around with calls to the service if I can find it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭markpb

I suspect anyone can but the data from DoT/NVDF but the price is probably so high that it makes more sense to query it from a reseller. I think cartell have a webserver that you can (pay to) query. There's are probably others too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

All vehicle details are held in the NVDF but it's only accessible by organisations who are either permitted under legislation or by organisations who have entered into a commercial agreement with the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport.

http://www.dttas.ie/roads/english/motor-taxvehicle-registration-%E2%80%93-national-vehicle-and-driver-file-nvdf#lnk 14

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭discodavie

The vehicle look up I used in the shop was provided by a branch of cartell.

I can put up the info if allowed or pm you the details but they charged me over 20 quid plus vat per month to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 krustygstring

Cheers all for replies.

slimjimmc: That was "official" stuff I was assuming existed, thanks for confirming.

discodavie: If you could share or send on any links/info about the subscription (is it flat access or limited number of queries, info available etc) that'd be much appreciated. If I do take it any further than messing around it looks like hooking in to a service like this is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

What I would like to see is a service that not only gives you the details found in motorcheck and the like from the reg number but also details such as the bhp and trim level of the car.

Take the Kia ceed for example. In the earlier versions the 1.6 Diesel was either 89 or 115 bhp but hardly any of the ads for these cars tell you the engine output, just giving the capacity instead. Same with trim, no details just a vague, partial list of features of the car.

Iif dealers would list bhp and trim level of the used cars on their lots in the ads, it would save everyone a lot of hassle when buying.

Is it possible to get those details from a reg plate search anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭discodavie

339019.png

This was the mainstay in the shop (image robbed from google), if you look at the left you get the breakdown of whats on the file for the vehicle, but its not always accurate , bad on izuzu for example and not great with imports.

This is the reason most factors ask you for a reg...

There was 1000 lookups included in the price monthly but you could buy more when needed

Advertisement