Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm coming home! Now,what bank?

Options
  • 14-02-2015 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all,
    I got a new job back home in Ireland after living in the UK for the last 5& 1/2 years, so I am now looking into setting myself back up at home. Can anyone point me in the direction of a decent bank account?? I used to be with BOI but I closed that account a couple of years ago. I have been hearing all banks charge now, but what are the charges like?
    Also, how will I prove address what with not having one, besides my folks place, where I will most likely be living for the time being.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,478 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think you should look into PTSB, as I think if you lodge €1500 monthly they have no account fees.

Don't think any of the others can offer that deal.

https://www.permanenttsb.ie/whatweoffer/current-accounts/current-account/

Edit: congrats on your new job and return home btw.

I would have always recommended Ulster Bank as I find them excellent to deal with. With their recent changes in charges, I would agree with the previous poster that PTSB are best for their low charges.
    Avoid BOI as they rip you off big time with charges and service isn't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭chinwag

Some comparisons here might be helpful
    http://www.moneyguideireland.com/comparison-of-bank-charges-in-ireland.html

I'm sure any bank would state their requirements regarding proof of address etc if you contact them.

Fáilte abhaile!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭tomfoolery60

Personally I think either PTSB (free banking) or KBC (good value and I find offerings more innovative). AIB and BOI have charges for digital transactions that take the piss in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Retail banking as in lodging cheques, cash is loss making. Most banks are happy to lose some current account customers. They aren't making any money from it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 GalwayGirl33

Thanks everyone,most helpful!! Can't wait to get home!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

hfallada wrote: »
    Retail banking as in lodging cheques, cash is loss making. Most banks are happy to lose some current account customers. They aren't making any money from it

They're even more stupid than I thought if that's the case. The money is made by offering loans and overdrafts, credit cards, mortgages, instance etc to these same customers.

I think Irish banks are shooting themselves in the feet by pushing away accounts that are being taken up by KBC. Those customers won't be back.

Advertisement