Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pavee point in common sense shocker!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭TravellerGirl

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    There a PM button for private conversations. Otherwise everything is open for discussion.

I don't need a pm button. If I have something to say I will say it on here. But you know what I will let you have your opinion on Travellers because its not ever gonna change anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

I don't need a pm button. If I have something to say I will say it on here. But you know what I will let you have your opinion on Travellers because its not ever gonna change anyway.

People's opinions on travellers will automatically change when people see them starting to pay tax, starting to educate their children and basically that while they may aspire to a different way of life, that they start accepting that this doesn't excuse them from basic and simple obligations that are owed to your children and society, for example having your children educated to a minimum standard and having a career of some sort, and working and paying tax just like other people have to do in society.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 rate_my_post

Don't include me in your conspiracy. The only point I have made against you is that you are also guilty of playing the man, not the ball. For the record, I appreciate TravellerGirl's input, but I'm not on anyone's side here. Read back through the handful of posts that I have made in relation to this issue and you'll see that I'm not pushing any agenda. Yes, I seem to be more accepting of Travellers, owing to my own personal experiences, but I'm not an apologist for them. I simply resent the nastiness that always accompanies this discussion. You have been guilty of it on a number of occasions. Read back through your posts and just look at how you speak to people. You're not a nice presence on here. TravellerGirl has been guilty of personal attacks on a few occasions, which was also wrong. You should both take a step back and compose yourselves. There's a discussion to be had here and it doesn't require insults and people being needlessly sharp with each other.

while traveller girl has been pretty reactionary and defensive in her rebuttals , you have made an outright moral judgement against dan solo , using inflamatory language like " nastiness " and labelling him " not a nice person "

all i see from dan solo is someone who deals in facts , that those facts may be uncomfortable both for travellers or those who ( for whatever reason ) prefer to rationalise dysfunctionality within the community , does not diminish the fact the dan solo shines a light on some glaring statistics when it comes to travellers

i see nothing nasty about any post he has made

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Any examples? Thought not.

I'm wrong. You never personally attacked TravellerGirl. You referred to her with words like 'delusional', and the vast majority of your posts are delivered in a cutting and sarcastic manner. In short, you may be chipping away at people all the time, but that's not the same as an ad hominem. So I take back what I mistakenly said, and you have my apologies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 rate_my_post

I'm wrong. You never personally attacked TravellerGirl. You referred to her with words like 'delusional', and the vast majority of your posts are delivered in a cutting and sarcastic manner. In short, you may be chipping away at people all the time, but that's not the same as an ad hominem. So I take back what I mistakenly said, and you have my apologies.

you just drip with condescension and smugness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

But it is beyond argument that they are anecdotal and therefore irrelevant in the face of statistics.

I'm not arguing that they are statistically relevant. However change has to start somewhere and 15 years ago you wouldn't have heard of anything like this. I'm neither for nor against travellers, however that said it is an a "not in my backyard" way. What I am against is any culture, be it Travellers or indians or whatever, that treat women badly and where women are brainwashed from an early age to accept it. The early signs of change in these situations are always good, even if they only mark the start of a long arduous road.

I'd suggest that TravellerGirl signs up for an AMA, whether you agree with her and her opinions or not it's nice to have representation for both sides for a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

you just drip with condescension and smugness

That sounds like an outright moral judgement. Welcome to hypocrisy. We're happy to have you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Then why are you moaning when somebody else gives their opinion? Or does "if I have something to say" only apply to you for some reason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Im very sorry if people found me ignorant or if you think I was insulting the settled community. I am not that type of person but he has hurt me wit some of he comments he has put. All travellers are not the same and all settled people are not the same. Its not nice to all be painted with the one brush

I'm sure you and your family are very decent people, but the majority of travellers are scum in one way or the other. Their behaviour cannot be controlled by anyone but themselves. They are a nuisance and a burden on regular society in Ireland and need to be dealt with sooner rather than later. The traveller society causes more bad than good and that is the issue at hand here, not to mention the ridiculous views on education and marriage that they have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

Sam Mac wrote: »
    I'm sure you and your family are very decent people, but the majority of travellers are scum in one way or the other. Their behaviour cannot be controlled by anyone but themselves. They are a nuisance and a burden on regular society in Ireland and need to be dealt with sooner rather than later. The traveller society causes more bad than good and that is the issue at hand here, not to mention the ridiculous views on education and marriage that they have.

This is sadly true. We regularly have to involve the cops with the intimidation and anti social behaviour from local traveller kids who saunter around our industrial estate all week, the cops themselves will tell you that you are wasting your time talking to their parents, because they are traveller kids, I've been told over the phone several times that they are not like settled children, it's not like you can tell the parents and the parents would be mortified about a cop car turning up at the house with their kid in the back, they genuinely don't give a shít about what criminality their own children get up to and those are not my words, those are the words of the Gardai that deal with the industrial estate where I work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Oh you have something to say aswell . Funny how you replied to a comment not meant for you but for dan_solo. Oh their are issues and I wont play them down. Their are criminals in my community but not as many as you think. My family and my fiances family don't look for trouble or have ever been in trouble with the lAw.

Yes i do have something to say. It's a discussion board. That's what we do here. I can reply to whichever comment I want. I chose to reply to the most recent one rather than draw the thread back a few pages. Deal with it.

And yes, you are downplaying i the issues in the traveller community. You're putting yourself forward as the traveller archetype when it is more likely you are the exception.

Hahaha, lack of self-awareness much?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭TravellerGirl

People's opinions on travellers will automatically change when people see them starting to pay tax, starting to educate their children and basically that while they may aspire to a different way of life, that they start accepting that this doesn't excuse them from basic and simple obligations that are owed to your children and society, for example having your children educated to a minimum standard and having a career of some sort, and working and paying tax just like other people have to do in society.

Our children go to school, its because of some schools and children that the Traveller Community don't do well. Also the teachers cannot be bothered with them. Its a bare minority of schools that actually will help a child

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Sociopath2

Our children go to school, its because of some schools and children that the Traveller Community don't do well. Also the teachers cannot be bothered with them. Its a bare minority of schools that actually will help a child

It's the traveller community's fault their children don't attend or do well in school.

When they start taking responsibility for their actions they will get more respect. They have been indulged long enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

89% illiteracy. But it's the settled community at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

That's really unfair. A child's primary educator is his or her parents. A school can only do so much. Teachers have an average of 25-30 kids for a few hours a day. As a parent the ratio is much smaller and there are always chances to help your child learn. Traveller children miss more days than settled kids and that puts them at a huge disadvantage educationally and socially. Add to that the lack of input at home and I don't buy the excuse that their parents can't help because they themselves are uneducated, there are plenty of traveller specific programs to help parents, a lot just can't be bothered, they don't see any value in education. Don't blame teachers. They can't do much when they aren't supported at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

why are the teachers not bothered with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Bait for the "PC", I would prefer comments on using public motorways and roads not as intended.

And when a problem is finally admitted it's, shock horror, the settled community's fault.

Fear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Sociopath2

You should be asking why do travellers think the teachers cannot be bothered with them?

Any national school I am familiar with has learning support and resource hours allocated to traveller children and a couple also have SNA hours allocated.

Doesn't sound like not bothered to me. They are throwing resources at them. The issue is their parents and the traveller community in general putting no value on education.

They need to lose the persecution complex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

As I said, try being a settled person for a week and trying to run a business near a halting site or living near a halting site, you have no idea how head wrecking it is.

I lived near a halting site for years. It was grand. Never had any problems.

Sociopath2 wrote: »
    The fact is traveller children are holding back settled children through needing disproportionate resources. The opposite of what we're being told by the travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Sociopath2 wrote: »
    You should be asking why do travellers think the teachers cannot be bothered with them?

Any national school I am familiar with has learning support and resource hours allocated to traveller children and a couple also have SNA hours allocated.

Doesn't sound like not bothered to me. They are throwing resources at them. The issue is their parents and the traveller community in general putting no value on education.

My question was directed at our travelling representative

It makes my blood boil that kids with real learning difficulty's ,whose parents are desperate for them to achieve a normal start in life get shag all hours while money is shoveled in that community's direction and is thrown back in the taxpayers faces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Still waiting for everyone here to pile in on these insults and defend me.
    Funny how the demands for civility and politeness only apply to one side of this debate isn't it?

i got ignored completely

TravellerGirl do you condemn the criminal element of the travelling community

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

• Registered Users Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Folks I've handed out a few cards to people who felt the need to make offensive comments.
    Mods adding likes to offensive posts (#2) .......anything in the mods charter concerning that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Hitchens wrote: »
    Mods adding likes to offensive posts (#2) .......anything in the mods charter concerning that?

it's no longer compulsary

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

has any one checked the travellers reaction to the wedding during the week on the sunday world face book page, i heard about it, i do not have a facebook account so i cannt confirm or deny whay was supposed to be put up

• Advertisement

Some travellers are lovely folk. But a huge majority are absolutely terrifying. There is no escaping that fact.

Advertisement