Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pavee point in common sense shocker!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    The fact is traveller children are holding back settled children through needing disproportionate resources. The opposite of what we're being told by the travellers.

On the flipside, settled travellers are the most victimised by travellers. It's a vicious circle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

RayM wrote: »
    I lived near a halting site for years. It was grand. Never had any problems.

Funny that, I live near a halting site and there isn't a sitting of the District court where some of them aren't before the Judiciary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Funny that, I live near a halting site and there isn't a sitting of the District court where some of them aren't before the Judiciary.

That's because they're fulfilling their jury duty!!! ;)

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Froshtbit

As TravellerGirl has responded to stats with anecdotes, I'll give you one.

A long time ago, I was in school. There was a traveller lad in the year below me. On the rare occasions he came to school, he used to get up whenever he pleased and left class. The teacher would go after him and try and convince him to come back. This could take up to 20 minutes out of a 40 minute class.

After realising that he was wasting half his class time on one student, the teacher simply stopped trying and when the lad left the teacher would continue.

The school had rang his parents, given him detention, involved social services (although this was due to a number of other issues) to no avail.

This is not rhetorical and I do want an answer.. What should the school have done to help the lad? He disrupted class on an ongoing basis and was impossible to deal with. The school got zero assistance from his family. Not to mention the fact that there was 25 odd other students in the class who all needed teaching as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/end-option-to-marry-at-16-in-the-north-urges-pavee-point-30990741.html

A rare nugget of common sense from Mr. Collins, and one I would actually agree with. This culture of child brides is something that needs to be demolished, and I hope the government and church move swiftly to outlaw this barbaric practise.
    its not A rare nugget of common sense from Mr. Collins as he uses common sense all the time

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Sociopath2

its not A rare nugget of common sense from Mr. Collins as he uses common sense all the time

As do you ;-)

This old chestnut. No, not all travellers are the same, however that line is being pushed torward far too often as an excuse for ongoing serious problems that are usually criminal in nature, that are regularly and consistently emerging from the travelling community that the rest of us are paying through the nose for.

no it isn't. only the bigots think that because they want to continue with discrimination and bigotry toards travelers. were not paying through the nose for it at all.
    Start taking some responsibility for your own station in life and stop blaming everything from the settled community, to society, to the Gardai for the well known problems that exist within your own community.

they are taking responsibility for their problems. they are blaming society for the problems that society are responsible for such as bigotry and discrimination
    As for more requests for laws to be specially tailored now for travellers, where children should be allowed marry, forget about it is what I would suggest.

not at all. sometimes we have to base laws on different cultures to protect them from bigotry

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Sociopath2

no it isn't. only the bigots think that because they want to continue with discrimination and bigotry toards travelers. were not paying through the nose for it at all.

they are taking responsibility for their problems. they are blaming society for the problems that society are responsible for such as bigotry and discrimination

not at all. sometimes we have to base laws on different cultures to protect them from bigotry

Personal responsibility means nothing to you, does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Don't worry - I wasn't trying to suggest that all travellers behave impeccably. Only a complete fucking idiot would make such a sweeping generalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Don't worry - I wasn't trying to suggest that all travellers behave impeccably. Only a complete fucking idiot would make such a sweeping generalisation.

God help me I loled :D

• Advertisement

People's opinions on travellers will automatically change when people see them starting to pay tax

yeah. shur many of us settled lot wouldn't pay a cent in tax if we could get away with it so thats a load of nonsense. jealousy because they can get away with it and you can't. many peoples opinions wouldn't change no matter what the travelers do. good old jealousy and bigotry toards anyone that isn't the same as themselves.
    starting to educate their children

many are doing that. no different to the settled community, those educating and those dragging up.
    basically that while they may aspire to a different way of life, that they start accepting that this doesn't excuse them from basic and simple obligations that are owed to your children and society

nobody owes society anything. some don't want to be part of society so leave them to it
    for example having your children educated to a minimum standard and having a career of some sort

why would they do that if they don't have to like many in the settled community? all be it many travelers do work, many don't, just like the settled community
    working and paying tax just like other people have to do in society.

people in society don't have to work and pay tax. they are called social wellfare recipients, big corporations, or government cronies. we'd all try get away with not paying tax if we could.

nobody owes society anything. some don't want to be part of society so leave them to it

Fair enough, but if you deliberately want to be separate to society and it's associated reresponsibilities, then why should you be allowed to avail of said societies safety nets??

Sam Mac wrote: »
    the majority of travellers are scum in one way or the other.

any evidence for that?
    The traveller society causes more bad than good and that is the issue at hand here

does it? any evidence "they" all do? well, its no different to certain sections of "regular" society
    the ridiculous views on education and marriage that they have.

yeah.

Sociopath2 wrote: »
    It's the traveller community's fault their children don't attend or do well in school.

When they start taking responsibility for their actions they will get more respect. They have been indulged long enough.
    its the fault for the parents for the children not attending school maybe, but its the fault of the school if the child doesn't do well in school. them getting more respect is nothing to do with them taking responsibility, its to do with bigotry, jealousy, and certain types being self righteous using anything at all to discriminate against travelers because they can. its our job to indulge them as they are a minority

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

but they do want to be part of a society that puts food on their table and a roof over their heads and all the while robbing everything thats not nailed down for pocket money

Bait for the "PC", I would prefer comments on using public motorways and roads not as intended.
    what "pc" the one that exists in the heads of certain types with questionable opinions?

My question was directed at our travelling representative

It makes my blood boil that kids with real learning difficulty's ,whose parents are desperate for them to achieve a normal start in life get shag all hours while money is shoveled in that community's direction and is thrown back in the taxpayers faces
    thats how it has to be. those in the most need getting the most resources. some cases make it seem not fair, but the system works

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

thats how it has to be. those in the most need getting the most resources. some cases make it seem not fair, but the system works

you are some boyo:D

Fair enough, but if you deliberately want to be separate to society and it's associated reresponsibilities, then why should you be allowed to avail of said societies safety nets??
    because its more cost effective then waiting for people to commit more crime

.... :D

• Advertisement

because its more cost effective then waiting for people to commit more crime

Not really. You ever try chasing a '13 Land Cruiser? Don't let their size fool you, theyre woefully hard to catch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

oceanman wrote: »
    plenty of countries allow marriage at 16....whats barbaric about it?

I think we can all agree that 99% of 16 year olds are much too immature and under developed emotionally and even physically for marriage. Marriage will probably ruin most of their lives, at a time when they should be developing themselves as people and not worrying about silly things like marriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

LOL pavee point blaming anyone else but the actual travelers for a traveler problem im shocked

This f*cking guy.

I lived near a halting site for years. It was grand. Never had any problems.

You do in your f*ck.

You do in your f*ck.

Top contribution there. Well done.

Top contribution there. Well done.

Tell us about this halting site.

Tell us about this halting site.

There's not much to tell. You would barely have known it was there.

As I said earlier, I'm not suggesting that all travellers are law-abiding. You'd have to be a fucking idiot to make such a generalisation about an entire community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Juanito13

Thank you. I find your post very true because in the New Year we were out celebrating and we were going home when we got set up by six or seven youths. My father in law got his arm broke and next thing I see is them running for my fiancee. I will never forget that night or that mans face. The youths inquestion was not travellers but in ffact settled people. Not since that night we are not allowed into the pubs even though we done nothing.

Any idea why publicans have issues letting travellers into their pubs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

What exactly would raising the marriage age achieve for the Traveller Community? They are not going to stay in school longer, most leave early or are withdrawn by parents. Its all a moot point really. There are far more serious issues, one of them the type of traveller crimes and machismo which was displayed at this wedding, but which was simply ignored by Pavee Point and largely by the media too.

Its like "yes a man was shot dead and another injured, but look over here at this other thing I have to tell you about."

Marriage at 16 is the least of the Travelling Community's issues.

Advertisement