Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pavee point in common sense shocker!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Really the only way to force parents to allow their children be properly educated is to charge them in the pocket.
    A child consistently doesn't show up in school without a valid reason, then social welfare is curtailed unless and until the child gets a credible education.

has been proven not to work.
    the PC liberal leftie academic types

don't exist. there is no such thing as pc, its a myth. only in the minds of certain types does it exist. its like these social justice warriors, made up nonsense to blame for people not being able to have things their way.
    A good education should be a human right, enforced if nessecary, as children simply do not have the maturity to request it.

it all ready is a human right. it all ready is enforced. but there is only so much you can do.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

elastico wrote: »
    The only honest traveller is a dead one.

Wow, just....Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Has 29% of the adult male population in the so called settled community gone through the Irish prison system?

I could think of a few specific settled areas in Dublin, Cork and Limerick where that percentage wouldn't be too far off. Where extravagant displays of unexplained wealth wouldn't be unusual and where children would be unlikely to stay or do well in school. Where social welfare fraud doesn't just exist but is commonplace and almost expected. Where higher rates of substance addiction are prevalent and violence is accepted as a social norm to a most social situations.

There would be a common theme running through them all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

because they can get away with it as there are fewer of them compared to the settled community. if they had such bigotry toards the settled community they would be out of business.
    Or maybe, just maybe they expect a much higher incidence of trouble with this particular group? Why else would a pub or hotel turn down cash money?
    there is no such thing as pc, its a myth. only in the minds of certain types does it exist. its like these social justice warriors, made up nonsense to blame for people not being able to have things their way.
    Really, because you do a damned fine rendition of one.

Perfect example:
    its our job to indulge them as they are a minority
    You couldn't make that up if you were actively trying to satirise "social justice warriors".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Traveller Girl, a serious question if I may. I have never understood where the money comes from. Can you let me know how the majority of travellers earn a living?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

elastico wrote: »
    The only honest traveller is a dead one.
    This is the kinda thing that ruins making any headway when having a discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭TravellerGirl

It kinda f*cking is.

It kinda f*cking ain't. I really hope your kids stay in school and don't blame you if they leave

This is the kinda thing that ruins making any headway when having a discussion.

Yeah because you would know about dead travellers wouldnt ya.

Stheno wrote: »
    Do you and your fiance work/pay taxes etc?

No I don't work, but I have applied for countless jobs, disguised myself to look like a settled girl but they still know. I send in an application, get sent a letter saying no jobs available, then I go to that work and see an advertisement for work. So don't sit here and lecture me about jobs or taxes because one day you might find yourself or your kids in our situation

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

No I don't work, but I have applied for countless jobs, disguised myself to look like a settled girl but they still know. I send in an application, get sent a letter saying no jobs available, then I go to that work and see an advertisement for work. So don't sit here and lecture me about jobs or taxes because one day you might find yourself or your kids in our situation

How do you support yourself? Does your fiance wwork?

• Advertisement

Yeah because you would know about dead travellers wouldnt ya. Ya f*cking idiot
    Seriously, I was defending travellers - ****ing read properly before you leap to attack and throw out unfounded personal abuse. :rolleyes:

Wibbs wrote: »
    Or maybe, just maybe they expect a much higher incidence of trouble with this particular group? Why else would a pub or hotel turn down cash

it gives them a reason to cry about how hard things are.

it gives them a reason to cry about how hard things are.
    You just decide "Right, I'm going against the grain all day today" when you get up don't you?

Traveller Girl, a serious question if I may. I have never understood where the money comes from. Can you let me know how the majority of travellers earn a living?
    why do you care.

To be honest I can't tell you where they do get it but I wish them luck with whatever they have.
    But can I ask you the same question.

You just decide "Right, I'm going against the grain all day today" when you get up don't you?
    no, i just call it as i see it. i've no interest in going against the grain, if people see it that way thats their problem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Yeah because you would know about dead travellers wouldnt ya. Ya f*cking idiot

I think you have misunderstood Venus in Furs post.

Seriously, I was defending travellers - ****ing read properly before you leap to attack and throw out unfounded personal abuse. :rolleyes:

Oh I'm sorry I seriously thought I replied back to someone else. I must haveclicked on the wrong one. Sorry.

Preusse wrote: »
    I think you have misunderstood Venus in Furs post.

Well if you look I've apologized.

no, i just call it as i see it. i've no interest in going against the grain, if people see it that way thats their problem
    No you constantly constantly constantly go against the grain in order to hold only a left-wing view, and never ever ever deviate from it (even to the point of out and out denial) due to stubbornness presumably.

It is 100 per cent as bad as right-wingers never ever ever deviating from a right-wing view just because they can't be seen to hold a view that veers more to the centre or to the left of centre.

My views mostly default to the left too, but occasionally veer in the other direction - not because I'm some sort of fascist, but because sometimes there are simply realities that cannot be denied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

You may also want to edit your post anf remove the "****ing idiot" comment as that would be classified as personal abuse. I'm saying that as a fellow poster, not as a moderator.

Your reaction to that post about dead travellers is understandable but keep your calm. The person who posted the comment has already received an infraction for this.

You can always report a post that oversteps the mark/goes against forum or boards.ie charters by using the report function (the red warning triangle) in the post and let the moderators deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

eviltwin wrote: »
    That's a lame excuse. Many a settled person is deeply religious and doesn't marry their child off in their teens. Its robbing their children of a childhood and I hope the courts here don't facilitate it by granting marriage licences to the under 18's.
    No, it's not. You've kind of proved my point. The deeply religious settled person is still educated and, I can't believe you're making me say this, enlightened enough to know not to do that. Travellers do not value education, and most of the older generations are not sufficiently educated, never mind enlightened, concerning their religious beliefs. They're still steeped in their own culture which is heavily influenced by Catholic beliefs; they are unable to compartmentalize as the settled educated religious people can. Catholicism is the problem, and we created that problem and we perpetuate it. ALL of us. And I'm saying that as both an atheist and an anti-theist. So yeah, it's not just a Traveller problem; it's my problem and every other god damn citizen of this republic's problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Well if you look I've apologized.

You apologised after Venus commented. Stop being so snotty with people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Can understand why traveler girl is getting annoyed to a certain extent because it's natural to defend your own community and it must be horrible when you and your family make an effort to live decently and still get blanket judged

That said, brushing off the glaring issues in the traveler community by saying it happens in the settled community won't wash. It's true obviously but the issue is of proportion here plus the fact that it's harder to criticize the traveler community as they are a self elected separate community heavily supported and justified by its own advocacy groups and liberals

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

because they can get away with it as there are fewer of them compared to the settled community. if they had such bigotry toards the settled community they would be out of business. of course such publicans will be the ones crying poor mouth and will probably be involved in trying to rid the country of cheeper alternatives for drink, while turning away custom.

Over the next couple of days, families will be advising their kids to stay the hell out of the town centre of Athlone, with a high Garda presence due to the McGinley removal and funeral, a man killed at a wedding.

Even at the funeral last month of the 5 month old baby in Ahascragh, the village ended up being taped off by guards.

Insurance coverage can be contested if the damage is predictable. Mayhem among members of these families?
    You think that publicans should take that risk of their staff and customers becoming injured bystanders?

There's a recent demonstrated risk that people will be hurt or murdered at these events involving these particular families. So no, shutting up shop isn't irrational distrust.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

anncoates wrote: »
    Can understand why traveler girl is getting annoyed to a certain extent because it's natural to defend your own community and it must be horrible when you and your family make an effort to live decently and still get blanket judged

That said, brushing off the glaring issues in the traveler community by saying it happens in the settled community won't wash. It's true obviously but the issue is of proportion here plus the fact that it's harder to criticize the traveler community as they are a self elected separate community heavily supported and justified by its own advocacy groups and liberals

Agreed all traveller girl seems to have done so far is to claim that all the problems in the travelling community are perpetuated by the settled community

Surprising to hear she is living with her fiance, something I thought was frowned on in the travelling community

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

I could think of a few specific settled areas in Dublin, Cork and Limerick where that percentage wouldn't be too far off. Where extravagant displays of unexplained wealth wouldn't be unusual and where children would be unlikely to stay or do well in school. Where social welfare fraud doesn't just exist but is commonplace and almost expected. Where higher rates of substance addiction are prevalent and violence is accepted as a social norm to a most social situations.

There would be a common theme running through them all.

If you pick and choose your sample then you can pretty much prove anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

A good article on the problems facing Traveller families caught up in feuds.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/traveller-families-forced-into-exodus-after-church-carnage-30993093.html

While the women are making some attempt to normalise, the men are still caught in a cycle of self-defeating feuding.

There is absolutely no queation that the lack of education and the low IQ that goes with it is contributing to their problems. Their community has by and large exhausted all sympathy for their situation when they behave like this.

And Pavee Point has lost a lot of credibility in recent years in their failure to condemn Traveller violence.

Advertisement