Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to get a bike in Cork City?

Options
  • 14-02-2015 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Im looking for a bike that isn't too expensive and that I will get a lot of mileage from.

I think buying a new bike would be better for getting a more durable bike.

Let me know if you had better experience experiences with second hand bikes.

The second hand bike i have at the moment is a curse, spent 3 - 4 times the bike price on repairs and it still is in a bad shape.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

ianol89 wrote: »
    Im looking for a bike that isn't too expensive and that I will get a lot of mileage from.

I think buying a new bike would be better for getting a more durable bike.

Let me know if you had better experience experiences with second hand bikes.

The second hand bike i have at the moment is a curse, spent 3 - 4 times the bike price on repairs and it still is in a bad shape.

Try the Bike Shed off Barrack street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭mossy50

HALFORDS bikes for all budgets

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Sleephead

Havannas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Depends what type of cycling you are doing really.

I got my bike from the bike shed on barracks street and I find them very good. But I'm not doing heaps of mileage at all.

There's another few places around...
    I know a guy who does those Iron Man competitions, and he gets his gear from The Edge.

http://www.theedge-sports.com/store/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

I have to say Halfords isn't the worst.. They are a disaster if you want anything like I wouldn't even dream of asking them to put the bike together for you as they would probably put the wheel where the seat should go. But if you keep an eye on their sales you pick up some nice bikes..Got mine there I think for under €100 take away in the box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Go to a shop which is a bike shop as they will sell you the correct bike and can repair it when needed. Personally I would look at The Edge on kinsale road. They deal in all levels and stock good products. The old saying is when buying a bike pick two of these: Light strong cheap
    As a rule of thumb......
    For entry level bikes the less you pay for a bike the shorter it's operational life. It's easy to spend €250 on a bike that will last only a few hundred km's before it needs repair. When buying a bike the key three main parts are frame, wheels and components.
    For the frame, stay away from suspension. Decent suspension forks cost hundreds of euro by themselves, unless you are planning to become a regular mountain biker you do not need them. Cheap forks will soon rust and you will stop using the bike.

Wheels, while cheap wheels are fine for most commuting I recently had to take a wheel beck to a shop as it broke while I was crossing a road, while a bus was coming against me. Basically cheap wheels will be fine until they break, often dramatically. It is worth spending a few quid on wheels which can be maintained and repaired as needed, they will last thousands of km's.

Components, similar you get what you pay for, entry level is about €170 on sale for this you get something that again will last years.

In short if you buy cheap you will probably by a bike which will inevitably break down or be so crappy to cycle that by August you will be walking and hate cycling.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Interrobang

Victoria Cross Cycles or The Edge.

Advertisement