Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gifted deposit

Options
  • 14-02-2015 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭

Just wondering about a hypothetical situation... If myself and my husband were gifted money for a house deposit, would the banks give us a mortgage? We're first time buyers, have 10k deposit saved, pay rent of 1100 per month and save between 830-1000 into a few different saving accounts each month as well so I think that would show we could afford the repayments? Hypothetical as we don't have anybody to gift is the deposit, just curious really

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

We inherited a chunk of our deposit but were also saving for a few years ourselves. Once the banks could see evidence of regular saving and rents payments they were satisfied and we got a mortgage with little problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

Don't think it should be a problem as you already have evidence of regular saving.

We had some help - BOI required that we obtain a letter signed by the gift-giver to the effect that they relinquished any future claim to the house, but it was just a formality (BOI provided the template, which was signed and submitted along with the other supporting documentation - no solicitor or anything required).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I went in last year they don't really care where you get the deposit so long as you can afford the repayments they didn't even ask where the lump sum came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Would the revenue be more interested than the bank in this case?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I got a mortgage on a gifted deposit, the only requirement the bank had was a letter to say tbe people who gifted the money had no vested interest in the house now or in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,710 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Arciphel wrote: »
    Would the revenue be more interested than the bank in this case?

Depends on the amount...

www.revenue.ie/en/tax/cat/thresholds.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Interesting! Not that we have anybody to gift us a deposit but will keep playing the lotto :)

Advertisement