Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 weeks notice to leave

Options
  • 14-02-2015 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hey guys,

My live in land lord has just told me I have four weeks notice to leave the house as he will not be renting my room in March. I'm there nearly two years now and two new lads have only just started renting the house. So I'm a little pissed off that Iv been given notice. Would have liked to have taught one of the other two would have been given notice and I'd gt there room. Just wondering is this ok for land lords to do? granted he gave me the four weeks notice

Tom

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

tomgaa wrote: »
    Hey guys,

My live in land lord has just told me I have four weeks notice to leave the house as he will not be renting my room in March. I'm there nearly two years now and two new lads have only just started renting the house. So I'm a little pissed off that Iv been given notice. Would have liked to have taught one of the other two would have been given notice and I'd gt there room. Just wondering is this ok for land lords to do? granted he gave me the four weeks notice

Tom
    You are not a tenant as the landlord lives there you are a licensee your landlord can tell you to leave in the morning if he wants as you have no rights

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Stheno wrote: »
    You are not a tenant as the landlord lives there you are a licensee your landlord can tell you to leave in the morning if he wants as you have no rights

Unfortunately op this is true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

TBH - It was very decent of the landlord to give you 4 weeks notice as a licencee. Most would give you a week - if you're lucky! He's given you enough time to find somewhere, so as much as it sucks, I'd just get on with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

Upside is that if you find somewhere sooner you can just give shorter notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Upside is that if you find somewhere sooner you can just give shorter notice.

How do you mean?
    He's been given 4 weeks notice, it'd be at the owners discretion to accept a lower notice really, and if that was commonly the time period of payment, unless they both agreed to it.

If the Op gets somewhere sooner, it wouldnt mean the Op can now give a shorter notice, well they can but they shouldnt necessarily expect anything in return for it.

Maybe you can see it if the situation was reversed, if it was the Op that gave notice of a month and the owner then turns around and says, as shure if thats your attitude, feck you, you can leave in two weeks or one week or tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

cerastes wrote: »
    How do you mean?
    What he means is that if he finds a place tomorrow, he can move out tomorrow and is only liable for the unpaid rent up to that date, and not to the end of the 4 week period.

seamus wrote: »
    What he means is that if he finds a place tomorrow, he can move out tomorrow and is only liable for the unpaid rent up to that date, and not to the end of the 4 week period.

I know thats what he meant but, that wouldnt necessarily be the case.
    If the amount he was handing over was commonly 1 month and he was given one months notice then he could get somehwere earlier, but would still be liable for the rent up to the allowance given, if he leaves earlier he would not be liable for bills after that, but as he has limited rights and presumably the owner has a deposit, how would he go about this?

He has been given a fair amount of time to leave, how would he feel if he was given till tomorrow to move? In that case (of a days notice) then Id agree, he wouldnt be liable for anything after that, but leaving earlier doesnt mean he'll be reimbursed, even if he has to take somewhere for concern of not having it at the time he needs it, UNLESS it suits the owner and they both agree to it. They might agree, but if they dont, and they hold a deposit all they have to do is refund any balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

cerastes wrote: »
    I know thats what he meant but, that wouldnt necessarily be the case.
    If the amount he was handing over was commonly 1 month and he was given one months notice then he could get somehwere earlier, but would still be liable for the rent up to the allowance given, if he leaves earlier he would not be liable for bills after that, but as he has limited rights and presumably the owner has a deposit, how would he go about this?
    I guess it depends on the situation. If he hadn't paid his rent for that month, then the landlord would have no grounds for demanding a full months' rent (or withholding the deposit) if he left earlier than the 4 weeks notice.

But if he had already paid his rent and left early, likewise the renter would have no grounds for demanding the balance of rent back.

In any case if the landlord held his deposit, it's actionable through small claims.

On what grounds? The person is not a landlord and gave suitable notice,the llicensee has no grounds to claim and no right to try recover anything paid if they decide to leave early.only if they speak to tho owner and ask will they know if they agree, if they don't that will be it,the licensee has no right or grounds to even be unhappy,they got a very fair and reasonable notice and have no rights in tho matter,that's just how it is.your advice is inaccurate, small claims would be a waste of their time. What would they say? I was given a months notice,I left earlier and want a refund??

Advertisement