Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fella's - How big is your wardrobe?

• 14-02-2015 12:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭

To all the guys out there, I have a wardrobe thats pretty packed but yet it still feels like its incomplete.
    I have too many jeans and not enough pants, likewise too many t-shirts and not enough shirts.
    I am trying to get my wardrobe smaller and more versatile.
    What do ye think is an ideal-size mens wardrobe that covers all of the essentials?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Depends on whether you're American or European. Americans tend to have massive wardrobes with dozens of everything. Where as Europeans tend to have a lot less. Like if you wear only black(like a ton of guys I know). You obviously don't need that clothes. Like wise if you dress for the seasons you have a lot more clothes.

I don't understand Irish guys logic that shirts are more formal and therefore better. Germans, Americans and Brits don't have the same view. You will go to a club in America and Germany and everyone well wears nice t-shirts. You go to an Irish club and it's full of a ton of disgusting shirts

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

It will depend on your job and what the dress code is.

For me I need to wear shirt and tie. So have around 12 good quality work shirts and five pairs of trousers. I then have 3 or 4 suits when needed. I must have around 20 pairs of jeans/chinos, around 15 casual shirts, 12 jumpers/cardigans, god knows how many t-shirts. T-shirts would not be an all year round thing so I pack some of them away, always plain t-shirts, no big letters or 'funny' text etc. Unless your a teenager they are best left alone.

Then you have footwear. I have 5 pairs of boots, 4 pairs of shoes mostly for work, some trainers etc.

What I do every year or so is a bit of a purge, if I have not worn them in a year/6 months (depending of season) I will send them off to the charity shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

My wardrobe is fairly average size I'd say. Its mainly made up of preppy clothes with a small amount of streetware.

However I really think it depends on your style and what the dress code is in where you work.

I would advise however that at least once a year you should go through your wardrobe and look at what your not wearing and try and sell it or donate it.

If your interest in downsizing your wardrobe a lot you could try living with a 10/15 piece wardrobe for a month or two and see how you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

Do a search for "effortless gent". The site has a lot of info on "the lean wardrobe" that you might find useful. I certainly did. For example it stopped me buying multiple items that were essentially the same or similar enough to make no difference. Saves a lot of money and wardrobe space.

Advertisement