Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help picking a new hard drive

Options
  • 14-02-2015 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭

hello people, so the past few days my hard drive has decided to start kicking up some dust on me and any time i reboot i get a disk check with a crap tone of unreadable segments also my computers start chugging fairly badly and things freeze and stop working, also it has gotten fairly noisy where it use to be silent, it's a 1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm) and its only 3 years old. but i do a lot of heavy 3d modelling and rendering work on this rig so maybe its taken its toll on the thing ? i have no idea im not really that informed about pc hardware.

Basically i think i need to buy a new one and my budget is about 160euro
    i was thinking of a sshd but im not sure which one to get could any give me some recommendations, i use this rig for mostly 3d modelling/animation and gaming i dont know if that would important in choosing a hd.

any help ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Could get a 250 gig ssd and a 1tb hdd.

Will cost about 160.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

how hard is a ssd to install and set up, also any links to recommendations ?
    i was looking at a Seagate Barracuda SSHD - 2TB - 8GB Hybrid just for a cheap alternative to an ssd. I would be open to an ssd but im fairly clueless when it comes to picking these things out and i dont want to end up buying some out of date model :confused:

i can barely run anything this at the moment so ideally i would like to order some thing today before all i see is an eternal black screen :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

SSDs:

Samsung 840 Evo
    Crucial MX100
    Crucial BX100

Not rocket science here really. They all perform basically the same, so get whichever is cheapest in the capcity you want wherever you're shopping.

Hard drvies:

WD Green
    WD Red
    WD Blue

Greens are usually the cheapest per GB, though they're the slowest. This doesn't really matter to be honest, as most of your stuff will be on your SSD (bar games probably, 'cause they're huge). Blues are faster Greens, though they don't have as high capacities. Reds are sort of like higher quality Green drives. They're a bit faster (though not as fast as Blues) and have a longer warranty, though they're usually the most expensive (though not by a lot).

Reds are available in up to 6TB capacities, as are Greens. Blues I think top out at 1 or 2TB.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

great help thanks a lot il go have a look for some of those ssd's

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

On a side note, if that drive isnt backed up shut the machine off until the new one arrives. If you're getting a chunk of UREs now it could call it quits at any minute. 3Yrs is the end of warranty period for consumer drives and when the MTTF (mean time to failure) starts to ramp up.

Once you go SSD you never go back. Chalk and cheese, so bloody worth it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement