Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tim Sherwood Confirmed As New Aston Villa Manager

• 14-02-2015 3:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/31470606
    Tim Sherwood has been appointed manager at Aston Villa, signing a contract at the club until summer 2018.

Villa sacked Paul Lambert on Wednesday after a winless run of 10 league games in which they scored just two goals.

Sherwood, 46, replaced Andre Villas-Boas as Tottenham manager in December 2013 but parted company with the club at the end of last season and has been out of work since.

"It is a great honour and I can't wait to get started," said Sherwood.
    More to follow.

Thoughts on this one then?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Delighted. Woeful manager but a gold mine of entertainment, something you couldn't say about Villa on the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭Minjor

Delighted. Woeful manager but a gold mine of entertainment, something you couldn't say about Villa on the pitch.

There's no evidence for that assumption. He certainly didn't disgrace himself at Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

They'll stay up this year but I cant see it ending well for Sherwood or Villa in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

They are well on the way to going down now. Experienced man needed.

Tim ain't that man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Minjor wrote: »
    There's no evidence for that assumption.
    Yes there is. His game management and tactical set ups are appalling. He's the right kind of manager for this situation however. Villa need a motivator. Let's see if it works.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Will deserve credit if he turns it around, Villa have the worst form in the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Disastrous appointment if you're a Villa fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,055 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I still fancy them to be fighting to the final day to stay up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

tbh I don't think we know if Sherwood is bad or good yet. His time at Spurs was always going to be short term (at least that was the general consensus at the time) despite what seemed like a long contract being given and he didn't do terribly and in comparison to the how they were doing before he was there it could be argued he did fairly well due to his win percentage etc.

That said I'm not convinced by Sherwood but I as I can't say he is a bad choice I'll be optimistic and get behind him. He is after all a lot more likely in my mind to turn out to be a success than a lot of the others being linked with the job. Villa actually have a better squad than they have for the past few seasons, Lambert just did not have them playing any kind of decent football hopefully that can change under Tim and there is loads of time for him to make an impact despite only having to keep Villa up this season to be considered a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

ebbsy wrote: »
    They are well on the way to going down now. Experienced man needed.

Tim ain't that man.

We were going down under Lambert anyway and the accepted opinion is that the squad is good enough for mid table.

He's been called the marmite manager and certainly does divide opinion. I posted this link in the Villa forum if nothing else he'll Inject some badly needed passion and energy in to the team.

Ultimately time will tell.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=foYXM3_yaR4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

NIMAN wrote: »
    I still fancy them to be fighting to the final day to stay up.
    Burnley at home on the last day. If Villa can't win that they don't deserve to stay up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Here's hoping he brings in a few coaches with a bit of tactical nous.

He's pretty much the opposite of Lambert anyway,should liven things up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Well he can't really do any worse than lambert has this season I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Hope villa have a club gilet. Tim loves a gilet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Villa are proper ****ed at the moment. Big risk appointment when an experienced head was needed.

Lamberts Villa were woeful though so a new manager was needed. Would have stayed clear of Tim Sherwood. Sherwood has done nothing really, was strange to see him linked to so many jobs. Pochettino has Spurs playing and performing much better than Tim ever did.

I'd fear for Villa being honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Happy enough with him tbh. But then anyone would be better than Lambert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I'm undecided on his ability as a manager, he didn't really get enough time or support or Spurs to be fairly judged, imo.

It'll be interesting to see how it goes but I think one thing's for sure, there's no way he'll see out that contract. One way or another, however things go, I can't see him sticking around for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I think Villa will be fine this season.

The new manager bounce will probably be worth a couple of wins and they have some nice games coming up. Stoke (H), Newcastle (A), WBA (H), Sunderland (A), Swansea (H), QPR (H), Everton (H), West Ham (H), Burnley (H) all games they'll fancy taking points from. I'd see Sunderland, QPR, Burnley, Leicester and Hull as much more likely to go down. Then again, if I had to guess I'd have said that Lambert would probably have scraped enough to stay up (in spite of him really, just that their games are relatively kind) but the change may see it being more comfortable.

Difficult to say how the appointment will go overall though. 28 games in a job every man and his dog knew was only going to be until the end of the season is too small a sample size to either say he's good or write him off. At least this role will allow us to make a more definitive judgement but I struggle to see how people can say for sure one way or the other at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

rob316 wrote: »
    Hope villa have a club gilet. Tim loves a gilet.

Dont worry, hes sorted

920x1090_fitbox-c13002220_h.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

One way or another, he has a 1 year and 3 month short task ahead of him.

The next 3 months will be about keeping Villa in the Premier League obviously.

Even if he manages that, doing the same will be just as difficult the following year.

If Villa go down he's going to be in a position where he has to go up at the first attempt to keep his job.

If Villa start season 16/17 as a Premier League club he's done a good job Imo and long-term planning can begin properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Obviously had the job the night before Lambert was sacked when he pulled out of the running for the QPR job.

As has been said he can't be any worse than Lambert, and fans should be able to decipher his post match interviews about why Villa were sh*t.

Don't think he will save them but I won't be too upset at that.

Saving Villa shouldn't be too difficult tbh. Play players in the right positions, using actual tactics and they'll be fine. The reason they're down there is that Lambert didn't do those things

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Care to explain your reason for calling him a woeful manager? :confused:

I wonder who'll win the 'become a manager for a game' competition this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Good appointment. Sherwood has the X factor.

Well now I know what a gilet is what's the difference between this and a body warmer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

By the looks of things he is going into the job with little to no expectation from the fans and media. That is about the best place you can start from.

I fancy he might do ok, he likes attacking football and he will get Villa scoring goals. I think they are good enough defensively that if they are scoring a decent amount they will win a lot of games.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

so... a friend of mine did this

9893eba4e2db81f6b81a9eb45223e206.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Pre and post match interviews will be fun at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

BMMachine wrote: »
    so... a friend of mine did this

9893eba4e2db81f6b81a9eb45223e206.jpg

Last of the big spenders. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Paully D wrote: »

These money men really are clueless. Where is the logic in appointing a complete novice ( in managerial terms ) at this stage of the season?

chicorytip wrote: »
    These money men really are clueless. Where is the logic in appointing a complete novice ( in managerial terms ) at this stage of the season?

Because there's a squad there that just needs the absolute most basic management to pull it out of the bottom, and Sherwood's record is actually about as good as Villa could possibly hope to get in a new manager?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think this fella is a complete spoofer.

I wouldn't like to see Villa go down, but this choice could well send them there. He might provide a short-term boost, but after the honeymoon period ends and the going gets tough I can see him cracking.

I think this fella is a complete spoofer.

I wouldn't like to see Villa go down, but this choice could well send them there. He might provide a short-term boost, but after the honeymoon period ends and the going gets tough I can see him cracking.
    I don't think posts like this help any discussion, buzzwords like spoofer do not actually say anything.

He had a pretty good win percentage at Tottenham, his only managerial job to date. What about his team did you see that you thought meant those stats didn't reflect the true situation? People talked about him being tactically inept, and his tactics surely were very simple, rather than particularly complex, but if this is a bad thing, why were the results going well?

Like it isn't as if his side were eventually found out, they finished the season with 4 wins and 1 draw from the last 6 games.

What I saw as being the biggest issue with his Tottenham side was an inability to tactically go toe to toe with the really good teams where that bit more was required. You could argue that wouldn't be such a problem for a team like Villa where those games probably won't be where the points are expected to be taken anyway.

• Advertisement

COYVB wrote: »
    Sherwood's record is actually about as good as Villa could possibly hope to get in a new manager?

This is the crux of it for me unless we could appoint Klopp or someone of that calibre then there was always going to be critiscism no matter who was appointed. Not necessarily the best of a bad bunch but out of those available I think Sherwood is the best fit for Villa .

CSF wrote: »
    I don't think posts like this help any discussion, buzzwords like spoofer do not actually say anything.

He had a pretty good win percentage at Tottenham, his only managerial job to date. What about his team did you see that you thought meant those stats didn't reflect the true situation? People talked about him being tactically inept, and his tactics surely were very simple, rather than particularly complex, but if this is a bad thing, why were the results going well?

Like it isn't as if his side were eventually found out, they finished the season with 4 wins and 1 draw from the last 6 games.

What I saw as being the biggest issue with his Tottenham side was an inability to tactically go toe to toe with the really good teams where that bit more was required. You could argue that wouldn't be such a problem for a team like Villa where those games probably won't be where the points are expected to be taken anyway.

Forgive me, I didn't realise 'spoofer' was a buzzword. Will 'charlatan' suffice as an alternative?

The man hypes up his win rate at Tottenham but omits that his loss rate was just as striking. He lost more matches than Ramos, Santini, Jol, Redknapp, Pochettino and AVB.

His tactics were too simplistic and while you can get away with that to some extent with the talent pool he had at Spurs, the Villa job will require a much more nuanced approach. I don't see any evidence that he possesses these attributes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Yes there is. His game management and tactical set ups are appalling. He's the right kind of manager for this situation however. Villa need a motivator. Let's see if it works.

Have you any examples?

pavb2 wrote: »
    Well now I know what a gilet is what's the difference between this and a body warmer

Zilch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

He was a brilliant player, captained Blackburn to the title and unfortunate to only get a handful of England caps.

He was only a loser with Spurs with a short term contract and the players let him down. He did have them playing better than AVB.

No doubt he'll make Villa better, and work the squad much better than Lambert.

Exciting times for Villa.

• Advertisement

The thing to remember is that there's plenty of people out there who will complain just for the sake of it.
    He's done nothing to show that he's a bad manager, anything anyone says to suggest that is just going on pure guesswork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭chicorytip

COYVB wrote: »
    Because there's a squad there that just needs the absolute most basic management to pull it out of the bottom, and Sherwood's record is actually about as good as Villa could possibly hope to get in a new manager?

Lambert would have achieved that target. He just needed the return to form of a couple of key players.

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    The thing to remember is that there's plenty of people out there who will complain just for the sake of it.
    He's done nothing to show that he's a bad manager, anything anyone says to suggest that is just going on pure guesswork.

The game against Liverpool where Rodgers convincingly won the tactical battle highlighted how out of his depth Sherwood really was. Too much emphasis on attack, players out of position, etc. You can get away with that to some extent at Spurs who are expected to do well against 'lesser teams', but at Villa he is at a team who will be scrapping with teams around their level or above.

This is what would concern me if I were a Villa fan because whenever Sherwood was up against a team around Spurs's level, you feared the worst. Ultimately that's what cost him the Spurs job.

As someone said earlier, this is not the job for a man massively lacking in experience.

Forgive me, I didn't realise 'spoofer' was a buzzword. Will 'charlatan' suffice as an alternative?

The man hypes up his win rate at Tottenham but omits that his loss rate was just as striking. He lost more matches than Ramos, Santini, Jol, Redknapp, Pochettino and AVB.

His tactics were too simplistic and while you can get away with that to some extent with the talent pool he had at Spurs, the Villa job will require a much more nuanced approach. I don't see any evidence that he possesses these attributes.
    Spoofer is a buzzword, charlatan also. Talking about football is much better. We're doing it now, much better.

Loss rate and win rates are grand stats all the same, but points percentage is much better. To throw a more relevant stat out there that might put some perspective on Sherwood's career to date (and to clarify, I share your concerns about his simplistic style), with his points percentage from his career to date, a team would be third in the Premiership, ahead of the much lauded Koeman's Southampton.

Don't get me wrong, I think there are questions there. He still has some learning to do, and will have to learn how to go toe to toe with some of the master technicians of the Premier League a little better. Some of his conduct certainly hasn't helped him, and his brash tone, the same as Harry Redknapp.

But outright dismissals of him are nonsense, everything the man has done so far results wise has been outstanding.

Lambert would have achieved that target. He just needed the return to form of a couple of key players.
    It was his job to get them back in form. Every year, the same. Just scraping over the line, you get in that situation enough times, you eventually go down.

Wigan a prime example. Now they're probably gonna be playing League One football. Lambert staying was impossible.

The game against Liverpool where Rodgers convincingly won the tactical battle highlighted how out of his depth Sherwood really was. Too much emphasis on attack, players out of position, etc. You can get away with that to some extent at Spurs who are expected to do well against 'lesser teams', but at Villa he is at a team who will be scrapping with teams around their level or above.

This is what would concern me if I were a Villa fan because whenever Sherwood was up against a team around Spurs's level, you feared the worst. Ultimately that's what cost him the Spurs job.

As someone said earlier, this is not the job for a man massively lacking in experience.
    He beat United at Old Trafford, beat an in form Everton side who were getting the hype of the world from the media too.

The problem was in a big game, against a superior team, when Tottenham went behind, they pushed too hard to get back into the game, rather than staying tight and waiting patiently for the chance to come. When you don't get the goal in that situation you can get picked off something nasty and they did.

What does this mean exactly? A high win, high loss and low draw percentage is better than average win, average draw and average loss percentage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Care to explain your reason for calling him a woeful manager? :confused:

Sure. In his time at Spurs his side looked devoid of ideas or purpose, I'd say toothless would be a fair way to describe them. On top of that his cartoonish antics on the touchline and in interviews only drew more negative attention to his team. When you see what Pochetinno is doing with basically the same group of players it's fairly obvious that Sherwood was incapable of getting the best from them. He seems like he's full of passion and might inspire some people with his sheer energy but I can't remember being overly impressed with him tactically.

No he wouldn't. Lambert was out of ideas and unable to use the players properly. He had more than enough time

• Advertisement
Advertisement