Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tim Sherwood Confirmed As New Aston Villa Manager

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Sherwood's remit will be survival this season, and if not, promotion next season. If Villa aren't a premier league club in August 2016 he won't be the manager

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

CSF wrote: »
    Given Lerner's patience to date, Id be shocked if he was sacked if Villa go down.

It'll be blamed on Lambert (possibly rightly so) and he will get a chance to go up at the first attempt, the success of which would determine whether he kept his job

Looking at the other club's teams around them, there's no way they should go down. If Sherwood is any good at all he'll keep them up, he'll be sacked if he can't and Lerner will be gone as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Looking at the other club's teams around them, there's no way they should go down. If Sherwood is any good at all he'll keep them up, he'll be sacked if he can't and Lerner will be gone as well.

I don't think Villa should go down either. But I wouldn't go sacking a manager after 13 games either, and he won't be sacked. Nor will Lerner leave because the club will have much less sale value than when he tried to sell previously and couldn't find anyone to match his asking price.

I don't think Villa should go down either. But I wouldn't go sacking a manager after 13 games either, and he won't be sacked. Nor will Lerner leave because the club will have much less sale value than when he tried to sell previously and couldn't find anyone to match his asking price.

Whatever about Lerner, Sherwood's job is to keep them up and looking at the other clubs around them that's definitely do-able. If he can't do that much he will have failed and they'll start in the Championship with a new manager.

Sherwood's job is to keep them up and looking at the other clubs around them that's definitely do-able. If he can't do that much he will have failed and they'll start in the Championship with a new manager.

You're wrong and if we had legitimate means of payment I would be happy to bet as much.

Tim Sherwood will be manager of Aston Villa at the start of 15/16 season unless he decides to leave of his own free will. Lerner has been ridiculously patient with every manager, even McLeish got way longer than he ever should have.

You're wrong and if we had legitimate means of payment I would be happy to bet as much.

Tim Sherwood will be manager of Aston Villa at the start of 15/16 season unless he decides to leave of his own free will. Lerner has been ridiculously patient with every manager, even McLeish got way longer than he ever should have.

They didn't get relegated with Alex McLeish. I'd safely say that you are wrong, I doubt we'll find out though, because I don't think Villa will get relegated.

They didn't get relegated with Alex McLeish. I'd safely say that you are wrong, I doubt we'll find out though, because I don't think Villa will get relegated.
    Trust me, being at games over there when McLeish was manager, was about as bad as its ever been at Villa Park, a negative atmosphere in the ground worse than it ever was under Lambert or is ever likely to be again. McLeish managed to stay up on about the same points average that Lambert has been sacked with, and in the end got lucky that despite Villa's continually losing games that should have allowed the teams behind them to catch up, they didn't. You finish with below 40 points and stay up, you've been very fortunate.

I don't think Villa will be relegated either, but I know how Villa and Lerner work well enough to say there isn't a hope Sherwood will be sacked on the basis of this season. Some chairmen maybe, not Lerner.

Trust me, being at games over there when McLeish was manager, was about as bad as its ever been at Villa Park, a negative atmosphere in the ground worse than it ever was under Lambert or is ever likely to be again. McLeish managed to stay up on about the same points average that Lambert has been sacked with, and in the end got lucky that despite Villa's continually losing games that should have allowed the teams behind them to catch up, they didn't. You finish with below 40 points and stay up, you've been very fortunate.

I don't think Villa will be relegated either, but I know how Villa and Lerner work well enough to say there isn't a hope Sherwood will be sacked on the basis of this season. Some chairmen maybe, not Lerner.

Luck is always a factor. Sherwood will know he'll have to keep Villa up if he wants to be there next season.

Luck is always a factor. Sherwood will know he'll have to keep Villa up if he wants to be there next season.
    Won't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

What won't?

• Advertisement

Won't happen.

Won't get relegated.

Are you a Villa fan, I thought you were a pure Shels fan or somith?

Won't get relegated.

Are you a Villa fan, I thought you were a pure Shels fan or somith?

I'm a Shels fan, I like Villa though and go to about 8-10 games a season

I'm a Shels fan, I like Villa though and go to about 8-10 games a season

I would reckon most Villa fans would find relegation this season - considering what they are up against at the foot of the EPL table - totally unacceptable. Sherwood will know that.

Sherwood wouldn't have been given a 3 1/2 year deal if relegation this year would sack him

I would reckon most Villa fans would find relegation this season - considering what they are up against at the foot of the EPL table - totally unacceptable. Sherwood will know that.

It wouldn't be Sherwood's doing though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

There's no chance that Lerner will sack Sherwood if Villa go down. The fans will not blame him either unless it's obvious that he's not improving things at all. There is a very low bar following Lamberts record. He'd have to start losing every game upwards of 4-0 to lose the fans.

:pac: Tim Sherwood would be delighted to hear that he can fail and still keep his job - as some around here seem to think - I don't think he'll believe it though.

Villa are joint 3rd bottom of the table, they are within 3 points of 15th place. It's not like they are marooned 10 points adrift in last place. When you look at the others around them, most people would expect Villa to maintain their EPL status. They are 4th favourites with the bookies to go down. Sherwood should get a honeymoon period, should be able to instill some positive belief in them. The only way they'll go down is if he fails to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

With Tim sherwood its way to early to make a call. Villa will have hired him hoping that his initial impact will be positive. They will hope that the players buy into his attitude and his motivational side of thing.

from a coaching and tactical point of view its too early to see how he will develop, if he is villa manager for next three years he may have had a change to build a side in his frame and with players that he has signed.

Has he even ever had a transfer window to work with? the spurs situation is odd, he propably knew he would not get the job full time and the players probably knew that as well. It is impossible to judge anything he did there with too much weight. He played adybeyor and AVB didnt but does not mean he got him playing. Adeybyeor is streaky at best of times. I think we cant assess him just yet.

Villa have a stronger side than those around them. i fully expect they will improve as they will be out to impress a new manager who may be looking to change things up in the next window.

Villa will stay up (IMO) and Sherwood can be judged after a summer transfer window and a pre season shapping his side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Joking aside I actually like him, he said a lot of home truths about a frankly gutless and spineless Spurs team last year. He started the rebuilding process at Spurs cleaning up the mess Baldini and AVB made. I applaud any manager that publicly slaughters the pampered millionaires who don't give 100% on the pitch.

Tactically I don't think he's up to much but he will give a bit of fight and passion and plays attacking football. The first thing he needs to do is get the team scoring goals because its been pitiful under Lambert.

In Benteke they probably have the best striker in the bottom half of the table so if he can get him going they will have a great chance staying up.

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    Joking aside I actually like him, he said a lot of home truths about a frankly gutless and spineless Spurs team last year. He started the rebuilding process at Spurs cleaning up the mess Baldini and AVB made. I applaud any manager that publicly slaughters the pampered millionaires who don't give 100% on the pitch.

Tactically I don't think he's up to much but he will give a bit of fight and passion and plays attacking football. The first thing he needs to do is get the team scoring goals because its been pitiful under Lambert.

In Benteke they probably have the best striker in the bottom half of the table so if he can get him going they will have a great chance staying up.
    I'd like to think he'll stop doing that at Villa tbh. He needs to ignite a fire in the lads, get them playing for him, playing with confidence and purpose, and he may do very well at Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'd like to think he'll stop doing that at Villa tbh. He needs to ignite a fire in the lads, get them playing for him, playing with confidence and purpose, and he may do very well at Villa.

Oh ya of course last things he want to do is destroy confidence of the players. He was able to do that at Spurs as he knows he was out the door anyway so could say and upset who he wanted, but it was all the truth.

He doesn't make excuses either never heard him blame referee/linesman/pitch etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Is anybody of the opinion that Villa don't actually have that good of a squad?
    I like them and i've plenty of preferred teams to go down ahead of them but I don't think they've that good of a group.

Vlaar has only played well at the world cup, although he's not terrible, plenty of players who've looked really good at the WC have turned out to be the exact opposite. Was anybody singing his praises last season or the one before?
    Okore and Clark aren't anything special and that's in what was an extremely defensive-minded side, while Senderos is like an arctic tanker trying to turn.
    Most of the midfield don't actually do much, whether it be Bacuna, Sanchez, Weimann or Cleverley while others are others are perhaps incorrectly held in a higher regard than they should be, namely N'zogbia, Agbonlahor, who have regressed in the last 2 seasons, and maybe Joe Cole depending on your opinion of him.
    There's a chance Sinclair and Benteke could play a big part in what they achieve, but at the minute they're both badly off-form.(Sinclair's just back from playing no football for 2years)

Of course some will and already have disagreed, just thought i'd present my side of it.
    Still think Sherwood can do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

To be honest I didn't think Spurs were all that great under Sherwood. Sure they won some games. They have enough talented players to win games but they also took some pretty bad hidings. That said he wasn't really there long enough to judge. It will probably end in tears at Villa right enough. The only question is when. He might be able to do a half decent enough job in the short term anyway,

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    Vlaar has only played well at the world cup, although he's not terrible, plenty of players who've looked really good at the WC have turned out to be the exact opposite. Was anybody singing his praises last season or the one before?

Yes, they were actually. If you paid attention.
    Okore and Clark aren't anything special and that's in what was an extremely defensive-minded side, while Senderos is like an arctic tanker trying to turn.

Clark is hugely improved this season, as anyone who watched much of Villa would know, and Okore is just back from a career threatening injury, while managing to look every bit the Premier League player. Senderos has played 2 games since September, so not even sure why you're lumping him in there
    Most of the midfield don't actually do much, whether it be Bacuna, Sanchez, Weimann or Cleverley

Absolutely correct. The midfield has been the problem, but it's been the problem because of the manager. You mention Weimann, a forward, in there for some reason. Not sure why. Bacuna rarely plays, so not sure why you're mentioning him there either. Sanchez has been immense this season apart from a couple of stinkers and a strange ability to find the opposition with a pass. Cleverley has been dreadful, but looked much improved yesterday. Though you're leaving out Gil, Westwood and Delph there, who are all first team midfielders
    while others are others are perhaps incorrectly held in a higher regard than they should be, namely N'zogbia, Agbonlahor, who have regressed in the last 2 seasons, and maybe Joe Cole depending on your opinion of him.

Nobody rates Agbonlahor or NZogbia. The latter has barely played, the former is awful. Another 2 bizarre players to pick out as an example of the Villa squad's abilities
    There's a chance Sinclair and Benteke could play a big part in what they achieve, but at the minute they're both badly off-form.(Sinclair's just back from playing no football for 2years)

Benteke is definitely off form - he's looking like a petulant child at times, but calling Sinclair out of form, a guy who (you rightly mention) hasn't played all that much lately, but still has a goal from 3 appearances, seems ridiculous
    Of course some will and already have disagreed, just thought i'd present my side of it.
    Still think Sherwood can do it.

I think the issue here is that you don't have the faintest idea what you're talking about regarding Villa's squad. You attempted to make points in a reasoned way, and kudos for that, but you genuinely have no clue what you're on about

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

To be honest I didn't think Spurs were all that great under Sherwood. Sure they won some games. They have enough talented players to win games but they also took some pretty bad hidings. That said he wasn't really there long enough to judge. It will probably end in tears at Villa right enough. The only question is when. He might be able to do a half decent enough job in the short term anyway,

Spurs played pretty awful football all of last season. Before he came in and whilst he was there. His run of games were pretty kind to him aswell but the football was just shocking at times. As I said before a lot of us Spurs fans were relieved he wasn't in charge this season.

I do really hope he succeeds though. He's got the love/hate charm. I wanted him to do well at our club as he was around for quite a while and worked very hard to develop our young players. Id expect if given the time to build his own side you'll see a young Villa squad full of potentials ready to take their chance. He'll potentially sort the youth sides out too. Which is largely what villa are crying out for.

He was heavily involved in the rebuilding of spurs' youth teams a number of years ago and look now how that is turning out. Very strong underage squads and a senior team with a number of graduates in their side, fighting in the top 6 range.

• Advertisement

Okore is ****ing class.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Is anybody of the opinion that Villa don't actually have that good of a squad?

To turn this on its head I don't think anyone thinks that Villa have a good squad Lambert and to a degree Mcleish brought in players that just couldn't perform or weren't even played. Luna,helenius,Tonev,Bowery,enda Stevens,to name but a few.

Weimann, agbhonlahor nzogbia, and recent signings joe Cole Kieran Richardson, Cleverley in varying degrees simply haven't contributed enough.

2 to 3 years ago we thought we had an exciting crop of new talent coming through Bannan, Carruthers, Albrighton, Gardner but again for whatever reason they didn't progress Clark and Baker are only now showing signs of stepping up.

On the positive side we have got a very good spine of a team developing in Guzan, Vlaar (though he is injury prone), delph, Gil (our best prospect in a long time)Benteke and Okore. You can possibly include Clark and Hutton in there.

To give Lambert his due that spine is his legacy but for him probably took too long to get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I've seen comparisons to Mauricio Pochettino who has proven himself as one of the shrewdest managers about in quite a short career thus far
    If he's bested Pochettino in his own backyard, surely Tim Sherwood is one of the shrewdest managers about then? :pac:

Seriously though, the anti-Sherwood (or is it anti-English?) sentiment I've read from here is laughable. If a foreign manager (yes, I know we're not British, but you get the idea) plays an open style of attacking football, he's viewed as cultured and progressive. If an English manager plays the same kind of football, he's tactically naive.

I think it's about time that people give the guy a bit of credit. He guided Spurs to a respectable finish with no money, and looks set to keep Villa up quite comfortably with no money either.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

I think it's about time that people give the guy a bit of credit. He guided Spurs to a respectable finish with no money, and looks set to keep Villa up quite comfortably with no money either.

I don't know what he's putting in Benteke's water, but it's working! He'd more touches than any other Villa player today and has bagged 8 goals in 9 games. Took his header very well today and looks like the player he was two seasons ago.

Fair play to Sherwood, good to see him doing well. He's got Villa looking like an alright side again and he has an 'entertainment' factor off him too. Just watched his interview on MOTD and he came across very well and pretty humble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Ya, sherwood has gotten lampooned a bit but he adjusting well, what was he at spurs before he stepped in last season?

• Advertisement

He's been nothing short of a legend so far.

Next season is the test though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I don't know what he's putting in Benteke's water, but it's working! He'd more touches than any other Villa player today and has bagged 8 goals in 9 games. Took his header very well today and looks like the player he was two seasons ago.

Fair play to Sherwood, good to see him doing well. He's got Villa looking like an alright side again and he has an 'entertainment' factor off him too. Just watched his interview on MOTD and he came across very well and pretty humble.

The team is playing to involve Benteke now, unlike under Lambert. Lambert seemed to absolutely hate any sort of thing that resembled crossing the ball, it was more like whack a ball up to the area where Benteke may be and hope he does something with it if he gets it at all. There was matches where he had the LEAST touches of any outfield Villa player, quite a few I would say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

I think its fair to say anything short of a title challenge next year and we will riot :D good to see him giving Jack game

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

If he's bested Pochettino in his own backyard, surely Tim Sherwood is one of the shrewdest managers about then? :pac:

Seriously though, the anti-Sherwood (or is it anti-English?) sentiment I've read from here is laughable. If a foreign manager (yes, I know we're not British, but you get the idea) plays an open style of attacking football, he's viewed as cultured and progressive. If an English manager plays the same kind of football, he's tactically naive.

I was one who laughed at the idea of Sherwood getting the PSurs job, but credit where it's due - he looks a good manager.

I think he's someone who would can be a leader-figure and who the players can get behind and that counts for a lot in a relegation battle.

Odds on him leading England one day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Morzadec wrote: »
    I was one who laughed at the idea of Sherwood getting the PSurs job, but credit where it's due - he looks a good manager.

I think he's someone who would can be a leader-figure and who the players can get behind and that counts for a lot in a relegation battle.

Odds on him leading England one day?
    Thoughts of the England job as some stage are a bit premature imo.

He has shown in his time at Spurs and now at Villa than he can improve players in the short term. The real test for him has yet to come in keeping players happy over the summer when their heads get turned by an attractive offer elsewhere and how he goes about improving a team. Lots of stuff he has to prove himself with yet. The refreshing thing about him, and it could be what makes him great as a manager, is that he is not afraid to give the young players an opportunity.

Corholio wrote: »
    The team is playing to involve Benteke now, unlike under Lambert. Lambert seemed to absolutely hate any sort of thing that resembled crossing the ball, it was more like whack a ball up to the area where Benteke may be and hope he does something with it if he gets it at all. There was matches where he had the LEAST touches of any outfield Villa player, quite a few I would say.

There's a lot more to his resurgence than just changing the pattern of play. The lad is much more confident. His free-kick in the QPR had nothing to do with how the team played, it was down to his refound confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

There's a lot more to his resurgence than just changing the pattern of play. The lad is much more confident. His free-kick in the QPR had nothing to do with how the team played, it was down to his refound confidence.
    Also have to remember that benteke was out with injury for a long time so is perhaps only now regaining his form. Whatever the reasons as Villa fans we'll take his resurgence with open arms

pavb2 wrote: »
    Also have to remember that benteke was out with injury for a long time so is perhaps only now regaining his form. Whatever the reasons as Villa fans we'll take his resurgence with open arms

No doubt at all that he was out with a serious injury, which must've had some psychological, as well as physical damage on him, and I am in no way stating that Sherwood has healed him with some divine powers!

But be it coincidence or good coaching. Benteke has returned to good form again which is great to see. Though, after Adebayor's resurgence last year too, it's hard to overlook that Che Sherwood has not had some input in igniting some sort of fuse under the arse of misfiring strikers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Tim has given me the PASSION I wanted as a fan back, backed Lambert all the way but he wasnt doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

One breeds the other. If he's more involved and getting chances he's going to be more confident. When he was hardly getting a kick he was an absolute shadow of himself, he seemed to suddenly lose all his strength as well, could hardly keep hold of the ball. I blame Lambert for a lot of things, but he loved Benteke, he just somehow inexplicably played in a way that didn't get him involved in games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Tim Sherwood took over at Aston Villa on 14th February 2015 and his team have amassed 26 points in that time.

Since the 14th February his old team has a grand total of 12 points.

Tottenham's points total this season is 58 points from 36 games. Under Sherwood last season they amassed 42 points from 22 games for a final total of 69 points.

I felt he was harshly treated by Spurs and it's starting to look like they compounded that error by signing Pochettino when you look at how well Tim has done at Villa and how well Southampton have done under Koeman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

eagle eye wrote: »
    Tim Sherwood took over at Aston Villa on 14th February 2015 and his team have amassed 26 points in that time.

Don't know where you're getting those numbers from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

JPA wrote: »
    Don't know where you're getting those numbers from.

Don't know why you posted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

He has done a very good job it has to be said. From the games I have seen Villa play under him they are quite entertaining to watch as well.

From a neutral point of view, Tim can come across as a bit green at times but his enthusiasm and love for the game is clear to be seen. The players respond well to him. He seems a likeable fellow. Slight bit on the cocky side but i admire the way he wears his heart on his sleeve. Another thing i like about him is the way he has come in and removed the shackles from how Villa were playing. They are now playing with freedom, confidence and a bit of bould abandon about them. If they beat us in the cup then the very best of luck to them. Theyve been through tough times those Villa fans. Obviously i hope Arsenal will win the game but i genuinely am delighted for Villa the way they have turned things around. I hope they can build on it next season. Young Grealish is a joy to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Jason-Kempin-Bradley-Cooper-264x300.jpg

Bradley Cooper has it in the bag to play him if ever a movie of his meteoric rise is filmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

More evidence to go against the "sacking is never the right answer" crew.

He's done great so far and is rightly loved by the Villa fans. I'm gonna wait until the end of next season before I start to build a shrine to him though.

Paully D wrote: »
    More evidence to go against the "sacking is never the right answer" crew.

How does Nigel Pearson fit into your narrative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

How does Nigel Pearson fit into your narrative.

I think you confused him for someone on the "sacking is always the right answer" team. Which doesn't exist, by the way.

Advertisement