Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting in Demark

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

K4t wrote: »
    Saying he is responsible is like saying Islam is responsible. People have to account for their own individual actions, while at the same time we should be free to criticise Islam without accusations of Islamophobia or racism towards Muslims.

While I agree that each individual is responsible for their own actions, this guy proactively led a campaign and traveled to other countries to stir up as much rioting as he could.

This guy as an individual, has to account for his actions

Now he's sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Vandango wrote: »
    Ya, let's bury our heads in the sand and conveniently overlook American foreign policy for the last 35 years. Might be better to treat the disease as well as the symptoms.

You obviously haven't read the results of various Pew polls held around Western countries.

These polls suggest the vast majority of Muslims believe depictions of the prophet Mohammed should be illegal, that Sharia should be imposed etc.

However much western foreign policy has exacerbated Muslim opinion, let's not ignore the shocking ideological framework that underpins Islamic theology - that, as stated before, most western Muslims adhere to.

It's also a coincidence they chose to attack a freedom of speech event, after all, they could have just attacked anywhere, right? To claim religion has nothing to do with this is pure ignorance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭reprise

Islam =/= Muslims

NOT(!(!(Islam = Muslims))) surely?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Multiculturalism has failed spectacularly.
    Time we kicked out the Celts, Vikings, Normans, Brits and Poles and restored our glorious druid monoculture!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Time we kicked out the Celts, Vikings, Normans, Brits and Poles and restored our glorious druid monoculture!

Arguing against multiculturalism does not make one a proponent of monoculturalism.

I'm an advocate of interculturalism - the argument that says different cultures and ethnic groups are welcome in society, but only if they meld into the existing values that society has.

It's not a difficult position to adhere to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

bjork wrote: »
    While I agree that each individual is responsible for their own actions, this guy proactively led a campaign and traveled to other countries to stir up as much rioting as he could.

This guy as an individual, has to account for his actions

Now he's sorry
    That is enough for me; that his mind has potentially been changed. It's sad that it took murder (not committed or caused by him) to make that happen, but it is a good thing overall. If only now we can change the minds of others without the need for the bloodshed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

K4t wrote: »
    That is enough for me; that his mind has potentially been changed. It's sad that it took murder (not committed or caused by him) to make that happen, but it is a good thing overall. If only now we can change the minds of others without the need for the bloodshed.

Whats a couple of hundred murders, a few embassies burning and a few shootings in cartoonists offices between friends, eh?

When is he travelling back to the Lebanon, Egypt and Syria to whip up a storm for his new enlightened theory?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

reprise wrote: »
    NOT(!(!(Islam = Muslims))) surely?

Yes, that is correct. I was stuffing my face with food and should have reversed the order properly :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Krudttønden translates to powder keg, right? Can anyone speak Danish?

Yes - and your translation is spot on.

I'm an advocate of interculturalism - the argument that says different cultures and ethnic groups are welcome in society, but only if they meld into the existing values that society has
    They're welcome as long as they're identical to us... there's a name for that, yes, monoculture. Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭DeadHand

War has been declared on the West and it doesn't even realise yet.

Islamism wants it more.

Enlightenment cast off the shackles of religious domination in Europe only for it to be threatened now with domination from a different, imported religion.

Europe continues to sleepwalk toward a period of massive bloodshed and after that, very possibly, a new dark age of religious intolerance and domination in which sexual minorities and women will suffer the most.

DeadHand wrote: »
    War has been declared on the West and it doesn't even realise yet.
    There's over 200 drug related deaths a year in Denmark. What's the Islamoterrorism average? Around zero deaths per year?
    There's a war on but it has fook all to do with Arabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭DeadHand

They're welcome as long as they're identical to us... there's a name for that, yes, monoculture. Well done.

No-one needs to be identical to anyone.

But everyone needs to adapt to and respect the existing values of their host culture and not expect the host culture to adapt to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

There's over 200 drug related deaths a year in Denmark. What's the Islamoterrorism average? Around zero deaths per year?

? All muslims are Arabs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Henry9

What's it called when someone deliberately misunderstands something in order to portray it as an extreme position with which they can then disagree?
    Well done indeed.
    Oh for fcuk sake. Thanks a lot moral equivalence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Nodin wrote: »
    Because most of us left the notion of mass guilt behind in the middle ages.

It's a pity that Islam still think it's the middle ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

Thats a ridiculous argument. The point of what has happened across Europe over the last few weeks is that there is a fundamental assault on some of the most basic rights we have..namely freedom of expression and speech.

Voltex wrote: »
    Thats a ridiculous argument. The point of what has happened across Europe over the last few weeks is that there is a fundamental assault on some of the most basic rights we have..namely freedom of expression and speech.

Aye, Comparing that to just random scumbag violence is Ridiculous.

Henry9 wrote: »
    What's it called when someone deliberately misunderstands something in order to portray it as an extreme position with which they can then disagree?
    Well done indeed.
    Is it called you making stuff up that didn't happen?
    Henry9 wrote: »
    Oh for fcuk sake. Thanks a lot moral equivalence.
    Not at all. It's just there so much waffle about a few deaths across the entire EU and nobody gives a **** about what the real issues are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

There has been a number of incidents where the local muslim extremists have tried to change society in DK.
    • They cancelled Christmas in one residential area when they managed to get a majority onto the residents' committee, (overruled by the residents themselves who told them where to go)
    • They have pretty much taken over at least one football club, stopping the sale of alcohol and requiring modest dress,
    • They tried to prevent elections and blocked people from voting, claiming that democracy was un-islamic.
    So they have been pretty active, although the body count is pretty low. I think the earliest one I remember was some guy trying to bomb an office in the center of Copenhagen but he blew himself up - that would have been 25 years ago, so it's definitely not new. And it's certainly not zero.

• Advertisement

Voltex wrote: »
    You can attack "freedom" now then Mr Bush? I'm no less free than yesterday so obviously killing people makes no difference at all to my freedom.
    It's a useful phrase (just like "war on drugs" TBH) if you want to make the jump to hyperbole though. Are we all afraid yet? Good!

Is it called you making stuff up that didn't happen?
    Not at all. It's just there so much waffle about a few deaths across the entire EU and nobody gives a **** about what the real issues are.

I think you will find, There are a lot of people that give a **** about people in their communities being radicalised and committing murders for an ideal.

bpmurray wrote: »
    There has been a number of incidents where the local muslim extremists have tried to change society in DK.
    • They cancelled Christmas in one residential area when they managed to get a majority onto the residents' committee, (overruled by the residents themselves who told them where to go)
    • They have pretty much taken over at least one football club, stopping the sale of alcohol and requiring modest dress,
    • They tried to prevent elections and blocked people from voting, claiming that democracy was un-islamic.
    So they have been pretty active, although the body count is pretty low. I think the earliest one I remember was some guy trying to bomb an office in the center of Copenhagen but he blew himself up - that would have been 25 years ago, so it's definitely not new. And it's certainly not zero.
    I said close to zero so thanks for confirming.
    So what you are complaining about in all your examples is democracy where Muslims have voted in changes? Let me guess, we need to suspend democracy in order to preserve our freedom? Oh great...

I think you will find, There are a lot of people that give a **** about people in their communities being radicalised and committing murders for an ideal.
    Well you've rather spectacularly skipped the point. Do people give 200 times as much effort and waffling time to the Danish drug problem? No, do they hell.
    It suits an agenda to make out a few deaths a year from terrorism is world war 3. More people die from botched plastic surgery or cattle stampedes in Europe and I'm not seeing the headlines.

Well you've rather spectacularly skipped the point. Do people give 200 times as much effort and waffling time to the Danish drug problem? No, do they hell.
    It suits an agenda to make out a few deaths a year from terrorism is world war 3. More people die from botched plastic surgery or cattle stampedes in Europe and I'm not seeing the headlines.

None of them are running around killing people in the name of an ideology.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Other bad things happen so you shouldn't talk about this thing. The usual first response of someone who wants to shut down a discussion.

So, lets all brush it under the carpet and pretend there's no problem, that's that sorted then eh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

I said close to zero so thanks for confirming.
    So what you are complaining about in all your examples is democracy where Muslims have voted in changes? Let me guess, we need to suspend democracy in order to preserve our freedom? Oh great...

thats NOT democracy

thats muslims moving to an area and changing it without asking the local people if they agree

None of them are running around killing people in the name of an ideology.
    So? I'm still more likely to be killed by a rogue deer than an Islamoterrorist.

http://thinkprogress.org/world/2015/01/08/3609796/islamist-terrorism-europe/
    We hardly need to import terrorists to Europe either. We've an outstanding history of doing it ourselves.

Other bad things happen so you shouldn't talk about this thing. The usual first response of someone who wants to shut down a discussion.

So, lets all brush it under the carpet and pretend there's no problem, that's that sorted then eh.
    This is vitally important even though it's relatively trivial. The usual first response when somebody can't accept the fact that's their pet gripe is small fry in the grand scheme of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

This is vitally important even though it's relatively trivial. The usual first response when somebody can't accept the fact that's their pet gripe is small fry in the grand scheme of things.

If you're so concerned about drug deaths in denmark then go start a thread on that subject. Otherwise quit it with the whataboutery.

Advertisement