Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony V Samsung

Options
  • 14-02-2015 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭

I'm on the lookout for a new phone.
    My Galaxy S2 keeps dying on me.
    I'm looking at the Sony Xperia Z2 or Z3 compact.
    I do like Samsung, but there's nothing really I like at the moment. (What is the A3 like does anyone know?)
    I'm tempted by the cameras on both of the Sonys.
    Any opinions or suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭tdonegan1990

I have the Z3 compact. Best phone I've ever owned. Never had a samsung phone tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

I have the Z3 compact. Best phone I've ever owned. Never had a samsung phone tho.

I don't know anyone with a Sony. What's it like? Camera good?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I don't know anyone with a Sony. What's it like? Camera good?

I have a Z3 Compact alongside a Nexus 5 and it is by far the best phone I've ever had.

The camera is fantastic, battery life is brilliant often getting me beyond two days of use. The stock home screen is nice and fluid and the list of built in control of everything from battery saving to double tap to wake is fantastic.

Highly recommend the phone.

I think I might be sold! Expensive enough with Vodafone though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

My Z1 compact is a year old now and up until last month would have taken it over a Samsung anyday (had the S, S2 and S3) . Lately battery life sucks and I keep having to do hard resets as it's freezing. Rapidly falling out of love with it.

• Advertisement

athtrasna wrote: »
    My Z1 compact is a year old now and up until last month would have taken it over a Samsung anyday (had the S, S2 and S3) . Lately battery life sucks and I keep having to do hard resets as it's freezing. Rapidly falling out of love with it.

My S2 is almost 4 years old and freezes & switches itself off. Then when it comes back on it says battery critically low, even if it was almost full beforehand. Also the other morning it beeped to say battery low 3 hours after it was taken off charge.

Is charging it overnight really bad? It's the only way I can ensure it's charged fully but I have heard this can be bad for your battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

My S2 is almost 4 years old and freezes & switches itself off. Then when it comes back on it says battery critically low, even if it was almost full beforehand. Also the other morning it beeped to say battery low 3 hours after it was taken off charge.

Is charging it overnight really bad? It's the only way I can ensure it's charged fully but I have heard this can be bad for your battery.

Batteries only have a limited lifespan. And 4 years would be good going for any device really. You could try a new battery, but I bet there are more issues than just the battery with your device given its age. And charging it overnight is completely fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Is your battery draining down a lot quicker than usual? are you charging it too often? once-twice a day should be ok? Maybe uninstall some apps that take up too much member/battery or If you have antivirus software on phone can drain it a lot unless its due to a lot of use. 4 years is good going. I've had mine just over 2 years. I'd try to charge during the day unless I need it as an alarm and have it on overnight. A day is the most I get out of mine. Do you find apps are crashing or updates aren't working efficiently? Sometimes mine can overheat and it turn on and off itself.

Sony experias are good have heard the Z3 is good. Samsung mini ones are others I'd recommend s3 or s4 minis. Not sure if s5 mini come out here in Ireland through mobile network shops. S6 is meant to be due this year. Look into what you are looking for in a phone and go with that. Weigh up everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭sporter1

I had the same issue with my s4 after 2 years(phone kept turning itself off) .I replaced the battery and its as good as new.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

sporter1 wrote: »
    I had the same issue with my s4 after 2 years(phone kept turning itself off) .I replaced the battery and its as good as new.
    The S4 was known to have a faulty (bulging!) battery issue which caused instability. So your case may not be typical. But replacing the battery should be a cheap thing to try.

I would recommend not having too many apps installed, and if your phone is slow, consider doing a factory reset and starting from scratch. It's a bit of a pain, but you'd have to do it with a new phone if that was the route you chose, and I would bet it would help things in a lot of cases.

• Advertisement

doovdela wrote: »
    Is your battery draining down a lot quicker than usual? are you charging it too often? once-twice a day should be ok? Maybe uninstall some apps that take up too much member/battery or If you have antivirus software on phone can drain it a lot unless its due to a lot of use. 4 years is good going. I've had mine just over 2 years. I'd try to charge during the day unless I need it as an alarm and have it on overnight. A day is the most I get out of mine. Do you find apps are crashing or updates aren't working efficiently? Sometimes mine can overheat and it turn on and off itself.

Sony experias are good have heard the Z3 is good. Samsung mini ones are others I'd recommend s3 or s4 minis. Not sure if s5 mini come out here in Ireland through mobile network shops. S6 is meant to be due this year. Look into what you are looking for in a phone and go with that. Weigh up everything.

I charge it every night. Sometimes, I'd have to charge it earlier in the evening, but it used to last most of the day. I don't use it much to be honest, although data is always on & perhaps the constant emails (Groupon!!!) coming through drain the battery much quicker. I need it as an alarm in the morning so would not feel 'secure' not having it plugged in, considering it's performance as of late!!

I used to have a Sony Ericsson Z530i or something. I liked it (flip phone!) but it was way before smartphone time so was wondering what their current standard is like. I do like the look of the Z3 compact. 450 though - ouch. Haven't really looked into the Samsung minis, for some reason wasn't too keep on the S3 mini but I'm not entirely sure why!

Thanks for the feedback.

The S4 was known to have a faulty (bulging!) battery issue which caused instability. So your case may not be typical. But replacing the battery should be a cheap thing to try.

I would recommend not having too many apps installed, and if your phone is slow, consider doing a factory reset and starting from scratch. It's a bit of a pain, but you'd have to do it with a new phone if that was the route you chose, and I would bet it would help things in a lot of cases.

I had bought a battery a while back but didn't find much difference. I did buy it cheaply on internet so boyfriend reckoned it might have been a fake?!

I don't think I have too many apps, and I rarely use the apps as I got a tablet at Christmas so prefer to use that. I deleted a lot of the photos etc and it sped the phone up, especially opening emails, but I've got 450+ again now so might need to do it again. (Initially I had 3000 though so when I removed them it sped up!)

Advertisement