Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strength.. with a dash of size.

Options
  • 14-02-2015 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭

Hello all :D. This is a follow on from my winter bulk thread, which lasted about 4 months.

The results of that were:
    Bodyweight: 65kg --> 74kg
    Deadlift: 70kg --> 130kg
    Squat: 65kg --> 100kg
    Bench: 55kg --> 90kg
    Overhead press: 30kg --> 55kg

I was fairly happy with my progress over the few months. Hoping to keep adding to these lifts now :)

Going to test maxes for squats and overhead press tomorrow.

Long term goals:
    200kg deadlift
    150kg squat
    125kg bench
    80kg OHP
    80kg bodyweight @ ~10% bodyfat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Training today. Fairly intense but I can feel my fitness coming back. First time in a while I've had no tension in my low back when running. I think doing heavy low rep deadlifts has done me the world of good. Felt lighter on my feet today, a lot faster all round. Unfortunately I'm still getting a lot of fatigue setting in in my quads and hamstrings after a good bit of running, but sure a few more weeks training and I'll be grand.

Hitting the gym tomorrow for a full body workout, legs will only be low reps, might have training in a few days.

Just did compounds today for strength.

Bench:
    3x3x92.5kg

Squat:
    1x3x105kg
    1x3x110kg
    1x3x115kg

Military press:
    1x4x47.5kg
    2x3x47.5kg

T-Bar rows:
    3x5x45kg
    1x10x40kg

Plank:
    1 x 2 mins
    1 x 2 mins 15 seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Darrenon91

your moving quickly through them numners man. You seeing much size with this?

Darrenon91 wrote: »
    your moving quickly through them numners man. You seeing much size with this?

I've put on about 8 or 9kg so far, so yeah I do notice a good bit. It's all chest, legs, shoulders and back, which were quite underdeveloped before I started. As I mentioned in the first post I hope to get to 80kg which is another 6 kg or so. Unfortunately I'm finding it a lot harder to grow now that I've started back cardio in training.

About the numbers, I've trained in low rep ranges most of the time so I think that's why they're moving quickly. If I had trained higher reps I think it would take a lot longer to get the numbers up, but I'd probably have put on more mass also. Some of it is a psychological thing too, in particular my squat and deadlift, where I didn't realise I could lift more than I was doing.

Noticed I've got a bit of an anterior pelvic tilt going on. Not too bad but enough to be noticeable to me. It could explain some of the back issues I've had in the past. Obviously lifting heavy with poor posture is not a good idea, so I've started dealing with it. Started stretching hip flexors, glutes, hammies. A good cue I've found is tensing the glutes, seems to make the tilt a lot better. Hopefully I can get this sorted in the next few months.

• Advertisement

Shoulders/back today.

Dumbbell overhead press:
    4x5x22.5kg

Lateral raises:
    2x5x12.5kg

Barbell rows:
    4x5x65kg

Pull ups:
    4x10

Plank:
    2 mins

Elevated hex bar deadlift:
    3x10x60kg
    1x8x80kg

Cardio:
    - jog 225m, sprint 75
    15 secs rest
    - jog 150m, sprint 150
    30 secs rest
    - jog 75m, sprint 225
    60 secs rest
    - sprint 300m

Decided I much prefer barbell rows over T-bar. Played around with the weight till I found one with good form and I could do 5 reps. Did dumbbell seated press, because I feel doing military with my current posture situation is a bad idea. I find the ROM of the hex bar really gives a good stretch and workout of the hamstrings and glutes if you do it with slight knee bend, a bit like a Romanian deadlift. Did the cardio in my asics on wet ground, not the best idea, RIP hamstrings and calves :pac:

Going heavy on deadlifts and bench Sunday.

Solid workout today.

Deadlift:
    1x100kg
    1x110kg
    1x120kg
    1x130kg
    1x140kg
    1x145kg :D

Bench:
    1x3x95kg
    1x2x95kg
    1x3x95kg
    3x8x80kg
    1x5x85kg

Dips:
    1x8x15kg
    2x10x15kg
    1x8x17.5kg

Plank:
    1 min
    2 x 1 min with 10kg

Gonna push hard this week and try get 150,125,100 for the big 3 at the weekend. If I hit it, I'm taking a week off haha. Thought I had plateuaed when I only got 2 reps on the bench for the second set, it was just a psychological thing thankfully. At some point through the deadlifts, my form just came together perfectly. The bar just came up along my legs really close, each set was just a breeze, no back issues whatsoever. That's why I went for 145kg, felt ****ing amazing. Deadlifts becoming my favourite exercise :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Aspiring wrote: »
    Deadlifts becoming my favourite exercise :D

Me too - there's something awesome about them I think because they are the heaviest thing you can lift! :D

Me too - there's something awesome about them I think because they are the heaviest thing you can lift! :D

Nothing beats lifting heavy sh1t off the floor :pac:

Started eating lots again today. Probably haven't been hitting my daily calorie goals over the last few weeks. Still managed to put on 0.5kg which isn't too bad. Short term goal for the next few weeks is 77kg.

No gym today, I have a match tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Are you following any particular programme?

Are you following any particular programme?

Not really, no. I started with something like starting strength but over 2 days rather than 3 (So 2 full body workouts twice a week). After that I tried higher reps for a while, didn't really see much point. Now I'm just training each bodypart twice a week and adding weight each time. I just do 3x3 for strength then follow it up with higher rep sets. I'm going to keep doing this until I plateau. I know it's suggested you stick to a program but I'm pretty happy with my progression so far.

When I hit 100,125,150 for Bench, Squat, DL I think I'm going to go do 3x5 like Starting Strength again until I get to 5 reps for those weights, and if I can keep progressing after that then I'll do that. Then once that stops working switch the number of reps again, and so on. I think changing up what I do every once in a while will keep me going longer compared to just sticking to the one thing for months. However doing 3 reps I've noticed the biggest power/strength gains so far.

Had my first match since I started lifting there tonight. Played about 40 mins so had a decent idea of my fitness.

Noticeably stronger, didn't feel like a walking twig on the pitch :pac:. Endurance in my quads was terrible. They were burning up after each sprint and I felt I just couldn't perform to my ability. I suppose this is to be expected when you train low reps. Agility was poor too, I was slow at switching from going backwards/forwards. I think instead of squatting heavy tomorrow I'll hit the treadmill inclined and give my quads a decent endurance session.

Also I've been thinking about not buying any more protein. I can hit my macros without supplements so I dont really see the point. If anyone has any advice on this it'd be great.

Bench press:
    1x3x97.5kg
    2x2x97.5kg
    2x1x100kg
    3x7x80kg
    1x8x75kg

Dips:
    1x5x20kg
    1x5x22kg
    3x5x25kg

Hex bar deadlift:
    1x100kg
    1x110kg
    1x120kg
    1x130kg
    1x140kg
    1x150kg
    1x3x160kg :D
    1x170kg

Hex bar Romanian deadlift:
    2x10x100kg
    1x12x100kg

Well, benched 100 which is nice after only 4 months. Definite plateau feeling tho. Think its time to change things up a bit. Hit the hex bar for a change, lifting 170 felt class, really a challenge. Hopefully for conventional 150 will be a breeze now. For the Romanian deadlift I really focused on powerful hip movement going up then finished each rep with a slow negative.

Had a bit of a week off there. Had a few nights out to make up for avoiding them like the plague over the last while when I was training. Feeling a lot fresher now. I've two weeks off college now so I'm gonna set some goals for the end of those 2 weeks .

Squat: 3x3x130kg
    Deadlift(conventional): 5x1x160kg
    Bench:3x5x100kg
    Row: 3x5x75kg
    Overhead press: 3x5x25kg dumbells
    Bodyweight: +1kg

Going to be deadlifting and squatting once a week each, the other three twice a week. Fairly intense schedule, but its only two weeks and I've plenty of time to eat/sleep so it should be grand. I'll probably have a good few matches/trainings but hopefully I can still manage to squat/DL.

Good chest/back workout today:

Bench:
    2x5x90kg
    4x90kg
    3x90kg
    2x90kg
    4x90kg

Incline DB bench:
    3x10x20kg

Barbell rows:
    5x5x70kg

Barbell rollouts:
    3x10

Back lifting after a week and a half. The movements felt a bit strange after being away from lifting but I still got a decent workout in. Tried the rollouts too they're fairly tough. No shoulders/legs because I have hurling training tomorrow.

Worst DOMS in ages in my abs. Those roll outs really hit you hard. Can't help but love em :D

Bench:
    4x3x92.5kg
    3x8x80kg
    2x10x75kg

Barbell row:
    3x5x75kg
    2x8x70kg
    1x10x60kg

Pull ups:
    3x8

Dips:
    3x8x25kg

Shrugs:
    3x20x70kg

Barbell roll outs:
    3x15

Two more trainings and a match this week so no shoulders/legs. Not happy with bench progress, need to get nutrition back in check.

Back/chest today:

Barbell bench:
    3x3x95kg
    3x5x82.5kg

Dumbbell incline flys:
    3x10x12.5kg

Dumbbell bench:
    3x8x20kg

Dips:
    2x15

Barbell row:
    3x5x77.5kg

Pull ups:
    1x10
    2x5x12.5kg
    1x10

Not performing at my best in the gym lately. On the plus side GAA is going very well, suppose you can't have it both ways :D

Pulled my hamstring. I don't think its too serious, only really have any pain if I take too big of a step. Just feels tight all the time and can cramp up / spasm when walking. Thought it was a cramp at first when it happened but has been going on for days now. Taking a few weeks off cardio to let it heal :)

• Advertisement

Recovering well from the injury. Lost the limp and can walk freely now. Started some light stretching 3 times a day. Hoping to get back into light cardio in a week or so. I feel this was a warning more than anything. I haven't trained my hamstrings sufficiently at all. I think when I'm back training legs I need to focus on movements like Good Mornings, Straight Leg deadlifts, etc, which mimick the movements of sport more than hamstring curls which I've done in the past. I've also been thinking about switching to sumo deadlifts, to put more emphasis on the legs. Hopefully if I strengthen up the hamstrings and clear up any imbalances I can prevent something like this happening again.

Bench:
    3x3x90kg
    2x5x87.5kg
    2x8x80kg
    2x2x92.5kg

Dumbbell incline fly's:
    3x8x12.5kg
    2x5x15kg

Dumbbell overhead press:
    3x7x17.5kg

Dumbbell roll outs:
    3x10

Weighted decline crunches:
    3x10x10kg

Plank:
    1x60s
    1x120s

Pull ups:
    3x12
    2x10
    2x8

Started doing shoulder work again. I can tell I've lost a lot of strength from lack of use but hopefully I can get back into it. Focused on pull ups for back today rather than doing barbell rows, wouldn't have been a good idea with my hamstring out of action.

Haven't really been dedicated to lifting as much as I was before, and it shows. Luckily I haven't lost much weight due to my sh1t diet over the last few weeks, but I think if I ever want to break through my current plateaus I need to start eating like a pig again. From tomorrow on it's back up to 3600+ calories a day :D

Went for a run today to test the aul hamstring.

Ran 1.5k with about a 5:30 min/km pace. Could feel my hamstring with every step, but it wasn't sore which was good. Felt as though it would cramp up if I ran any faster. I'll try a faster pace Friday and keep at it until I'm back to normal.

Quick chest workout today.

Bench:
    1x8x85kg
    2x5x85kg
    1x2x95kg
    1x12x70kg

Incline flys:
    2x8x12.5kg
    1x5x15kg
    1x8x15kg

Dumbbell bench:
    2x8x20kg

Decline pushups:
    1x15

Felt great to lift 95kg again. Best 8 rep bench to date today as well. Hopefully get in a 2k or so jog tomorrow and a shoulder/back workout Saturday.

Went for a quick 1.5k run today. Running faster was a lot more comfortable today. Built up the speed throughout the run and maxed out at about 3:20 min/km pace. Didn't realise running downhill is a lot harder on the hamstrings than level ground / incline. Cramped up straight away when I started running downhill fast, not a good idea.

Great to see the hamstring recovering nicely, probably pushed it a bit hard today though, hopefully get out for a longer run Sunday and pick up the pace a bit more.

Hamstring is giving me some issues still. Feels very tight and I can't get full range of motion stretching. Think maybe it's time to go see a physio before I feck it up any more :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,600 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Aspiring wrote: »
    Hamstring is giving me some issues still. Feels very tight and I can't get full range of motion stretching. Think maybe it's time to go see a physio before I feck it up any more :pac:

If a physio goes in to loosen it up, you're probably going to need something to bite down on...

If a physio goes in to loosen it up, you're probably going to need something to bite down on...

I think I have to haha. Everybody keeps telling me I'm going to feck up my hamstring if I don't see a physio. I've been following a recovery guide which can be found here and it was going fairly well until I went a bit overboard with the running.

The physio I'll be seeing is one who comes to the GAA club every once in a while to give people rubs before a match and that. Not sure if it's meant for someone with an injury, but yeah, I've heard it's fairly sore :o

Chest workout today, tried to focus on strength rather than size. So I went with a pure bench press workout.

Bench press:
    1x5x60kg
    1x5x70kg
    1x5x80kg
    1x5x90kg
    2x2x95kg
    2x1x97.5kg
    1x3x90kg
    1x5x85kg

• Advertisement

Well, today was a great day.

Went for a few sprints in the afternoon with a friend. It was my first time sprinting since I injured my hamstring. No pain or strange sensation or anything, which is great.

Also went to the gym, was planning on doing shoulders and chest. Ended up doing squats instead of chest, because it's been too long and I miss the aul squats.

Dumbbell overhead press:
    4x5x22.5kg
    1x6x22.5kg

Squats:
    1x5x50kg
    1x5x60kg
    1x5x70kg
    1x5x80kg
    1x5x90kg
    1x3x100kg

I had forgotten how much squats take out of you. Feel absolutely wrecked :pac:. Great to see my squat is still reasonably decent after the long absence. The pain I'll feel in the coming days was well worth it :D

Over the weekend I'm hoping to do hamstrings, chest and back.

Advertisement