Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What night temperature for dog with metal plates?

• 14-02-2015 8:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭

My dog has two metal plates in his front leg since last October.

I was advised to be careful with him in the cold weather and was just curious does anyone know what temperature would be regarded as too low for him?

Most of this winter I've had him sleeping in the sunroom attached to our home I must put a thermometer in there to monitor temperatures

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I've a bionic dog too OP, I think once it's cold enough for us to feel the cold, you're getting into achey territory for dogs with plates. If it feels uncomfortable for him, you'll find he'll probably lick and root at the plated bits of his legs. Mine gets great comfort from a snugglesafe pad (microwave heat pad for pets) in one end of her bedding so that she can decide whether to zone in on the heat, or not. I generally find she's most likely to be achey after a walk in cold weather, especially if she gets wet feet and legs.
    Hope that helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My dog has pins and a plate in both his back legs and I've never worried about the temperature at all? I just make sure to dry him if he gets wet and not leave him with damp fur. He spends most of his time inside though apart from walks or if he follows us out to the garden so not like the cold would 'get into his bones' like we'd say about ourselves out in the cold or damp.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

A lot of it probably depends on where the plate is... tibial plates on the back leg, or radius plates on the foreleg, are very close to the surface and perhaps prone to becoming cold. Plates up insode the body on the humerus or the femur are much bettter insulated and probably unlikely to cause a problem. That said, my mam has a plate on her tibia and doesn't feel the cold with it!
    I should also point out that my dog is getting on in age, and this may be a factor because the oldies definitely feel the cold more than their younger brethren!
    Either way OP, I'd go with what the dog is telling you... if he's rooting at the site of the plates, it's a tip-off that they're bothering him :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Bailey's are on the side of the bone - you can feel them and the pins :eek:

Advertisement