Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emile Durkheim- The Philosophers mail

• 14-02-2015 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭

So following an early thread on a Philosophers Mail article about Max Weber, I've decided to start a thread on Emile Durkheim, He is considered to be one of the founding fathers of Social Science along with Karl Marx, and Weber.

He himself was an atheist , though he praised how religion created bonds between people which he said encouraged social cohesion.

Durkheim was very much intrigued by emotions of people in the modern world. He analysed how he saw the breaking down of communal ties in societies due to rapid social changed and industrialization.

He formulated the Idea of "Anomie" which refers the breaking down of standards and values in a society. Durkheim postulated that "Anomie" can cause people to feel dislocated from society in times of hardship like economic crisis'es.

http://thephilosophersmail.com/perspective/the-great-philosophers-11-emile-durkheim/

What are you're over all thoughts on Alain De Botton and his work ?. Personally I'd like to commend him for making philosophy accessible to a wider audience. He created the Highly successful school of life.I'd like to see a school of life open in Dublin actually. But it seem's like a distant prospect at the moment. I'd also recommend reading the book of life, which has all the material from the Philosophers mail since The Philosophers mail was discontinued.
    The Book of life
    http://www.thebookoflife.org/

Thoughts please ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement