Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sick and stray cat ran into kitchen

• 14-02-2015 8:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

We have a bit of an issue, a stray cat just ran in the back door .

we have seen her in the back garden a number of times, but she never came close to us.

she looks in a bad way, paws are filthy and she is very under weight.

cant seem to get the <snip> on the phone

we are in the finglas / glasnevin area.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Sorry but what exactly is your question?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Put some food out, it is probably starving. If you don't have cat food, maybe a chopped up sausage. Also a small bowl of water.

Maybe just put it outside the door if you don't want it in the house. But give the creature some food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Mop and bucket of hot water with disinfectant. Liberally scrub everywhere it may have touched.

For future reference, <snip>.

The cunning Linguist,
    I'm not even going to dignify the above response by asking you not to ever post in this forum again. Instead, I've ensured you can't post here again by permanently banning you.
    Thanks to all of you for reporting this post.
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

Nody wrote: »
    Sorry but what exactly is your question?

just looking for the best approach with this stray / feral cat.

looking for information on a person or an organisation to contact. i know its saturday night, but this cat is in bits and i really dont want to see it suffer.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

just looking for the best approach with this stray / feral cat.

looking for information on a person or an organisation to contact. i know its saturday night, but this cat is in bits and i really dont want to see it suffer.

The <snip> is not a 24/7 organisation you won't find any rescue organisation open at this hour.

can you not just give the cat some food and/or take it to a vet if you think it's desperately ill?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Stheno wrote: »
    can you not just give the cat some food and/or take it to a vet if you think it's desperately ill?

<snip>
    Mod note: You don't get to post here any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

OP, the <snip> site says to contact your local garda station or vet. Where are you? UCD's Vet hospital is open 24/7 and while it's private rather than a charity, they might be able to steer you or advise you. 01 260 9920, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Mop and bucket of hot water with disinfectant. Liberally scrub everywhere it may have touched.

For future reference, <snip>

Im not a fan of wandering cats but if i caught someone doing this there would be trouble. Its worse than poisoning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

aaakev wrote: »
    Im not a fan of wandering cats but if i caught someone doing this there would be trouble. Its worse than poisoning

The poster suggesting this is just lonely on Valentine's, getting his kicks imagining torturing some vulnerable ill animals... flag it and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

i think its freezing, we put down some water, and gave it leftover steak.... valentines dinner..

we put a box with some newspaper and an old blanket in a shed, it does not want to leave the kitchen but we cant leave it inside, we will leave shed open and if it wants to spend the night out of the cold then it can.

will see in the morning how it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

OP don't feed it in the house see if you can get it outside and put some food out for it, <snip> probably wont be able to do too much seeing as it's a stray cat by the sounds of things on its last legs too, other poster advocating <snip> sincerely hope you are trolling and not serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

i think its freezing, we put down some water, and gave it leftover steak.... valentines dinner..

we put a box with some newspaper and an old blanket in a shed, it does not want to leave the kitchen but we cant leave it inside, we will leave shed open and if it wants to spend the night out of the cold then it can.

will see in the morning how it is

Hi Danielle,

Kindness to animals is what differentiates us from savages, you are a good person for doing that.
    <snip> might be worth a call. I think they might come out and trap it for you. A very ill cat nearing the end of its life will "hide and die" somewhere safe.

Mod note: please make recommendations for individual rescue groups by PM only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Hi Guys

We have a bit of an issue, a stray cat just ran in the back door .

we have seen her in the back garden a number of times, but she never came close to us.

she looks in a bad way, paws are filthy and she is very under weight.

About ten years ago I found an unconscious stray in my front garden one evening. I'd seen it raiding the bins for a number of weeks. I lifted it up and took it round the back garden and put it in a box with an old blanket and locked it in the shed. I rang my local vet. He told me to leave it water and some food and if it was alive in the morning take it in to him. I left the cat the water and some tuna and made sure it was warm. Next morning I found two empty bowls and a pile of poo and no cat - he was hiding, terrified of me.

With great difficulty and much hissing and spitting on his part I got him into a cat box. He was bone thin and covered in sores and welts had and sore eyes and was just awful looking. Took him to the vet who treated him for everything you can imagine. He was kept overnight on a drip and sent home with me 2 days later.

The poor wee thing couldn't miaow (sp) and never really matured properly, physically I mean, into an adult. When I found him he was about 6 months old. He was obviously struggling on the street. Well he never saw the outside again. He lived with me, in my apartment, usually curled up in my lap or near the radiator til he died 2 years ago of kidney failure, had to have him put down.

I'm glad I rescued him, and I'm glad I gave him, as he did I, some good years. He was a great cat.

Btw I had two other cats who eventually took to him. I only have the one left. If you can keep him you'll be rewarded by an ever grateful companion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

For future reference, <snip>

Troll or not, that is a horrible thing to say. You must be very unhappy in your life if you get your kicks from that kind of thing.

Good advice here already OP. Give the cat some food and somewhere warm to sleep. It's nice that you care enough to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭me0w

Troll or not, that is a horrible thing to say. You must be very unhappy in your life if you get your kicks from that kind of thing.

Good advice here already OP. Give the cat some food and somewhere warm to sleep. It's nice that you care enough to ask.

Also, disinfectants like dettol are toxic to cats.

Please ban that troll

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭forgodssake

Danielle you are very kind to do what you did. the poor cat .. I hope it stays in the shed out of the cold .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

We recently found out that there are 24h vet services down here in Cork (the vets are on call on a rotation basis, you get the number of the vet on duty when ringing any vet as part of their answering machine message), so maybe that might be worth a try?
    Thanks for looking after the poor critter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

How is the cat today?
    Did it eat the steak (!!) you gave it?
    As the others said, feeding the cat, giving it a shelter, someplace out of the cold and a bowl of water is the kindest thing you can do for now. If it came into the house, it must have been desperate. It must be a stray if you have seen it around and its in a bad way? Check the websites to see if someone is looking for it
    If its very ill and you can catch it, put it in a box on monday, and take it to the vet. The vet will assess it, but if it is eating/drinking and sleeping in your shed, maybe you will have a new cat - it will repay you with love and keep your garden/shed vermin free :) Go buy a few wet food pouches, to build the cat up for now, then Buy a bag of decent dry cat food - costs very little, a little bowl in the shed, with a bowl of water - you earn lifelong Brownie points, save an animals life - win/win!
    Let us know how you are doing

Advertisement