Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fractal Mathematics based Search Algorithms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

Itzy wrote: »

You have recommended the post, and 2 people have liked it; but I didn't understand any of it. Frankly, to me, it sounds like pseudoscience; concept mush.

Can anyone tell me what the post is about in coherent terms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

fergalr wrote: »
    Frankly, to me, it sounds like pseudoscience; concept mush.

Can anyone tell me what the post is about in coherent terms?

Some guy with poor English and questionable computer skills who has just visualized a search space with a pretty picture.
    article wrote:
    My desktop processor is too slow it understands true and false. Nothing more. That is the reason it is named binary processor.

:confused: It is not named a "binary processor".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

:confused: It is not named a "binary processor".

In fairness to that point: our CPUs are built using 2 state logic right? (hence 'binary processor') I remember reading before about how the russians built a ternary computer. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ternary_computer

No idea how it fits into the linked post's narrative, though. Upon reading it again I'm even more convinced there isn't anything there for me to understand - why share it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Itzy wrote: »
    ...the concept is an interesting one.

Could you explain why?

I don't understand it. But is this not what Quantum computing does only vastly more efficiently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Is it just me or is LinkedIn full of blogs with people trying desperately to look clever?

Reading over the article it seems to say how fractals are beautiful and 'natural' mathematical algorithms, how they could be employed to perform a computational task and how this is currently held back by hardware/network limitations.

I don't think there's anything particularly Earthshaking about this. After all, I think most of us will have tried our hand at programming the output of a fractal; the Koch triangle is an easy one to do; it follows a simple algorithm that may be codified and then you stick a 'GOTO 10' at the end.

After all, what is a fractal? It's really just a repeating pattern - basically a recursive algorithm. But fractal probably sounds better.

Anyhow, the author seems to be musing about some sort of (undefined and in the future) philosopher stone of a recursive algorithm which he prefers to refer to as a fractal. I'm sure it sounds impressive to the HR types who lurk around LinkedIn.

• Advertisement
Advertisement