Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Natural gas detector / alarm

Options
  • 14-02-2015 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭

Basically we have a kind of seperate small room upstairs for our boiler. The house was recently renovated with a new boiler and all new gas pipes from the meter the job is top class done by registered and qualified plumbing company so that not the issue. When I was installing fire alarms and CO alarms I put a CO detector in the room where the boiler is and there is a smoke detector just outside the door. However I'm woundering is it possible to buy a similar detector but just for natural gas ie goes off if there was a gas leak. Ideally just a mains one with a battery back up. Does anyone know where I could get one or if they are even a thing as I've never seen them in houses before only in bigger commercial boiler room etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

try EI electronics, based in Kerry supply through wholesalers, very good guys

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

One of the properties of carbon monoxide that makes it particularly dangerous is that it has no smell. This is why detectors for this deadly gas are readily available. However thanks to the addition of an agen we can smell natural gas quite easily, perhaps even quicker than a detector would pick it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

2011 wrote: »
    One of the properties of carbon monoxide that makes it particularly dangerous is that it has no smell. This is why detectors for this deadly gas are readily available. However thanks to the addition of an agen we can smell natural gas quite easily, perhaps even quicker than a detector would pick it up.
    What if someone has no sense of taste or smell?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

yipeeeee wrote: »
    What if someone has no sense of taste or smell?

They won't smell it and if they have no hearing they won't hear an alarm.

I am not suggesting that a NG detector is a bad idea. I am just explaining why most would regard a CO detector as more important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

I realise that natural gas has a strong smell but the problem is my mother has no sense of smell whatsoever she can't smell anything at all and we were worried just incase she was in the house alone hence the alarm as she would hear that no problem. It's highly unlikely it would leak but better to be safe than sorry and it wouldn't be a big job to wire it in as there is a permanent live in that room already for the CO alarm. Thanks for the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Stoner wrote: »
    try EI electronics, based in Kerry supply through wholesalers, very good guys

Shannon actually, in Co. Clare.

Advertisement