Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU blown or Temp Shut down?

Options
  • 14-02-2015 11:54pm

Guys, quick one.
    I don't have a spare PSU so can't just swap it out and check. System is barely turning on and then starting very very slowly then completely cutting out (it will cut out after a minute or two in BIOS too)

Went into F2 to check on the H/W monitor and the temps look high though. The i5 is running at 90C (can not remember the last time but don't remember it being that high). The system is NOT overclocked

The heatsink is the standard supplied and the Case has three fans all running at full speed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭robcon

The i5 is running at 90C (can not remember the last time but don't remember it being that high).

:eek:

Cpu temps should be nowhere near that. At 90C your probably talking thermal shutdown to prevent cpu damage. Cpu fan is definitely running?

yeah most definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭freelancerTax

is the heat sink seated properly with thermal paste?
    could it have been dislodged?

going to take it apart tomorrow to check

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

It was probably dislodged. I've had one pin on the stock CPU cooler not tightened before, idle temps on a 3570K were 80°C.

• Advertisement

Yeah that was issue.
    Seemed to be a bit of give, took it off completely and reapplied some paste. Secured it correctly and temps back down to 45-50C

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Yeah that was issue.
    Seemed to be a bit of give, took it off completely and reapplied some paste. Secured it correctly and temps back down to 45-50C

Load or idle?

That's in Bios which is at full(ish) load no?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Nope, but it's not idle either (though it's closer to idle than load. I think it acts as if Speedstep is disabled, so it'll sit idle, but at 3.0GHz, or whatever your chip's speed is.

sorry yeah the edit took a while to go through

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Did you clean off the old thermal paste properly before reapplying? 45-50c in bios is still very high...

Why does the BIOS fan control for main case fan set CPU at 50 by default (first option if I go to manually set a temp on the fan instead of Maximum rpm)?

Advertisement