Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Advice regarding Electronic Engineering

Options
  • 15-02-2015 2:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Hi,

I am seeking some advice about the Electronic Engineering course in UCD. I am currently in second year of Electronic and Computer Engineering at UL, things are going good, love the course and love UL, grades are good but it would suit me better to be based in Dublin for reasons which have nothing to do with college.

Just wondering if anyone on here is on the course and could tell me a bit about it.

Get back to me if you can.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Hey Chickentown, myself and a few others have posted here about Elec. Eng on a few occassions. I graduated from the 5 year masters program in Elec & Computer Engineering.

Most are here: http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?query=engineering&forum=470&user=85994&date_from=&date_to=

Do you have any specific questions? UCD Eng is very good. I really liked it and the 5 year program is very good. The UCD Horizons and modules means you'll never really be bored. There are a few downsides but on the whole, I was very happy there.

Just FYI, moving between Uni's can be a minefield. Its not as simple as swapping. You need to meet minimum criteria, points etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Chickentown

Thanks IronClaw,

Thankfully, points etc... not an issue, I would be more concerned about moving university for my final year as I would not know the run of the new place and could get landed with an uninterested supervisor for my FYP as I would not know the department well enough to know the person I have been assigned to etc....

Can you tell me what downsides you found?

Thanks IronClaw,

Thankfully, points etc... not an issue, I would be more concerned about moving university for my final year as I would not know the run of the new place and could get landed with an uninterested supervisor for my FYP as I would not know the department well enough to know the person I have been assigned to etc....

For your final year? Hmm. You might want to check that out. I'm not sure about Engineering, but certainly for other courses, you can't do a direct swap between years. Also, UCD Eng. is 3 plus 2 now, so the 4 year traditional degree is no longer a direct option.

As regards downsides, depends what you see as a downside! UCD has great facilities and the staff are very approachable. I've never had an issue that couldn't be solved promptly. FYP was very well supported and there isn't really a huge issue with getting a mentor and support. The class sizes generally allow for a mentor to have multiple "mentee's", and they are fairly active with keeping tabs on your work and helping you along. Basically if you need it, they are there.

I can't really contrast with any other college as I have zero experience elsewhere, but I'd find it hard to fault UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭TopOfTheRight

Thanks IronClaw,

Did you mention above that you're currently in second year? If so then you'll have no final year project to worry about until 4th or 5th year (depending on what route you choose to go down)

Contrary to what was said above doing a 4 year BEng degree is still an option.
    Towards the end of your 3 year degree you will get the choice to finish after 3(BSc), 4(BEng) or 5 (MEng).

I'm in the 5 year option at the moment so PM me if you have any questions.

Contrary to what was said above doing a 4 year BEng degree is still an option.

It may be an option, be it not a very good one as you will require a Masters to achieve chartered status in addition you get year one of your Masters at a reduced rate seeing as its still within the "4 years free fee's" cycle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭TopOfTheRight

ironclaw wrote: »
    It may be an option, be it not a very good one as you will require a Masters to achieve chartered status in addition you get year one of your Masters at a reduced rate seeing as its still within the "4 years free fee's" cycle.

Perhaps not a great option if you want to be a chartered engineer but, as is the case with so many that come into ucd engineering, it's a great option if you want to move into the consulting/business world. Companies like first derivatives have hired people that left with just the 3 year BSc too.

Perhaps not a great option if you want to be a chartered engineer but, as is the case with so many that come into ucd engineering, it's a great option if you want to move into the consulting/business world. Companies like first derivatives have hired people that left with just the 3 year BSc too.

Should probably point out I graduated from the 5 year in UCD (Elec & Computer). Someone, for example, with the 5 years Eng & Business Masters behind them would be shoulders above a 3 year BSc Eng. grad for the same position, purely on paper mind you. Considering all other things equal, add a chartered status in there, and you are far better equipped for the business / consulting world. To consult and indeed be insured in professional practise, in most cases and disciplines you need to be Chartered or Affiliated with a suitable body. Most candiates go on to further study, either a Masters (e.g. Smurfit et al) or CPD with Engineers Ireland etc.

To me, I don't care what title someone has. I'm just saying that from past and current experiences in industry. A frightening number of jobs need a Masters to even get in the door, whether or not that 'level' is actually required for the job itself.

Advertisement