Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a real gun?

Options
  • 15-02-2015 7:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

With my complete lack of knowledge on guns, I was wondering can anyone tell me if this is real or not. Picture attached.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

With my complete lack of knowledge on guns, I was wondering can anyone tell me if this is real or not. Picture attached.

Impossible to tell from that picture. If someone pointed it at me I'd still consider the nearest ditch the best option...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Could be real or could be an airsoft / replica too hard to tell from that picture

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭philmire

If this is Ireland 99.9% not also very hard to know from pics when some airsofts look so real these days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Why do you care

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Looks fake to me, look at the magazine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

murph226 wrote: »
    Looks fake to me, look at the magazine.

Ak bakelite mags all look fake in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

Hard to tell but my guess is no. The metal parts, particularly the action and the barrel don't appear to have any wear to the blueing, the muzzle appears pristine black while the stock looks taped indicating damage, so gun to my head I'd say it's a toy. That said I am far from a firearms expert and if it was pointed at me I'd brick myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

The tape on the stock[E German pattern?] looks like a DIY cammo attempt to match whosevers pants are in the pic.:pac:Yet they didnt bother doing the very shiny foregrip,which has an intresting palm swell in its wood.Or the mag for that matter,which seems to be missing it's base plate and is rather too shiny for combat usage.The stock has what looks like an extension piece before it joins the reciver.This was or is a common conversion piece used on American post 1994 "crime control act" AK recivers to allow them to use conventional AK furniture.Dunno whats going on with the rear sight..It looks like its taped onto the reciver, to prevent it from riding or flipping over?The flash hider is the AK 74 type,pistol grip looks like plastic or bakelite.Reciver is very clean looking,like it hasnt been used much and looks like a stamped reciver going by the rivets.
    Sling is a non standard AK sling.

If anything I'd tip on a "Frankengun"[ gun made up of manydifferent model parts].But real live firing,deact or well done realistic airsoft,Jurys out on that one I'm afraid.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

Thanks for all the input guys. The photograph was sent to a freind of mine by an eastern European girl he's just started dating. It depicts her holding the gun. I could only determine from the photo properties that it was taken in 2003 by a nikon d3. He was slightly concerned what he was getting himself in for. I have assured him, looking at the original photograph and the comments on here, that it's purely a glamour photo shoot.
    Thanks everyone for the knowledgeable input.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

He was slightly concerned what he was getting himself in for.

Why should he be concerned? Plenty of shooting ranges allow the use of such firearms in Eastern Europe. A lot of stag parties go over there and rattle off a few shots.
    So what if she has a firearm in a photo. Perhaps she likes to shoot and if so fair play, pitty more irish women don't try it as a sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrbrianj

A glamour photo shoot?

Show us the rest of the photo, it may help us provide more insight!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Ah here. We're vetting people's girlfriends based on fuzzy cropped photos without any context now?

Seriously lad, there are true experts in that particular field...

megm_1803447a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

AHHHHH! SPARKS Man! FS Would you post a warning that there are disturbing and alarming images in your post??? Ironic there is a ad at the bottom of this thread for Spec Savers...I think I'll need them now to see if my optic nerves have been damaged by looking at that alarming " quare yoke"[ is it a Medusa or a Harpy from Greek mythology come to life?:eek:] you so recklessy posted pictures of.:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

See, if you were psychic, you would have known that was coming up and you wouldn't have needed to click on the link to see Mystic Meg.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I'll see your Mystic Meg and raise you a Septic Peg:

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement