Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AVC plan

Options
  • 15-02-2015 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,853 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am a public servant for the last 13 years. I am in my early 30s and started an AVC 13 years ago paying 20 euro a week. I am currently paying 33 euro a week and hope to retire on a wage of at least €60000 in another 30 years. I am currently on a wage of €45,000. I received a notice in the post form the administrators of the AVC plan to increase my weekly amount to €35 to pay into this scheme. I was wondering what the average amount would be advisable to pay into this scheme at my age. I have no children and am single at the moment. Is it still a good idea to pay as much as you can into one of these AVC plans due to them being interest free. I also know they fluctuate up and down in their value. Should I just increase the amount every year (when these notices come in). The date of the due increase is April 1st. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

€60k pension seems extremely unlikely. The public sector pension is now a career average. How is your Avc's performing? What is the AMC of the fund you are in? You need a lot more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,853 ✭✭✭billyhead

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    €60k pension seems extremely unlikely. The public sector pension is now a career average. How is your Avc's performing? What is the AMC of the fund you are in? You need a lot more information.

Hi Anxious. The 60000 would be my projected salary at retirement. I am not sure how the plan is currently performing. I usually get a statement issued annually showing this around April. Also the amount their asking to increase it to weekly is 38 euro from 35 at present

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

ANXIOUS wrote: »

It is only a career average for those who joined the public service after 1/1/13.

Advertisement