Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving to Manchester from Dublin

• 15-02-2015 10:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

Looking to move to Manchester from Dublin in August or September with my girlfriend.

We have a good few quid saved and will use the next few months to save like crazy.

My girlfriends family live in Glossop over there so we were hoping to move in somewhere there but were not sure if it will be a bit out of are price range so just wondering does anyone know any other places we could move in that is nice and quite but not to far from City Centre/Old Trafford as I'm hoping to get a season ticket.

Also has anyone else here made the switch and what did they think off it?

I have being Manchester a good few times for matches and I just love the city.

Also jobs how hard is it to find them? I have a part time one now that is a work from home so I can still do that over there but another part time one wouldn't be bad.

Thanks for any help and for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

You could look at some of the areas served by the train between Manchester & Glossop, best of both worlds :)

Capturesss.jpg

I lived in Bolton for 2 years as a student (a long time ago) and regularly travelled into Manchester. I have worked in Manchester quite a few times since and I enjoy the city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Burkie7

You could look at some of the areas served by the train between Manchester & Glossop, best of both worlds :)

Capturesss.jpg

I lived in Bolton for 2 years as a student (a long time ago) and regularly travelled into Manchester. I have worked in Manchester quite a few times since and I enjoy the city

Thanks very much.

On closer inspection it doesn't seem to be too dear in Glossop since it's outside of the city center so hopefully when the time to move is nearer we will be able to find somewhere nice within are budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭crushproof

Capturesss.jpg

Unfortuantely the choice there isn't great, Dinting and Broadbottom are lovely and close to Glossop but the other stations towards Manchester aren't in the nicest of neighbourhoods. Nice people but alot of trouble, I worked around there and it's quite chavtastic. Nights out in those parts of Manchester were interesting to say the least!
    Of course, some great pubs and down to earth folk but the "undesirables" made it unbearable. Glossop is great though, and the train is quite regular...absolutely packed at rush hour though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Lived in Manchester the past 6 years.

I live in the city and love it, have some friends in Glossop and it's a great town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

Beware of the cost of commuting from Glossop. Annual train tickets are astronomical and the road traffic is dire.

Also, it's not in Manchester, it used to be part of Derbyshire until they re drew the county boundaries so you won't be going on any nights out in the city unless you catch the last train. I'd recommend moving into the city proper, Glossop is a rural town up in the mountains which doesn't sound like what you're after really.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help lads.

My girlfriend isn't really mad about going out for nights out so that's why I'm getting the season ticket so it gives me something to do on the weekends.

If I want to go out I'll just have to go to a pub in Glossop for the night it seems.

I'll try Dinting and Broadbottom also as my girlfriend drives so it wouldn't be hard to drive down and see her family when she wants to.

I'm still living at home at the moment so this will be my first time getting a house any advice on a website to use I have just being typing in house to rent in Glossop but to be honest I'm clueless about the whole thing ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Mackenzie1983

Rightmove is a good website to look at for houses for rent. Glossop is nice but is a bit out of the city. It is on the Tameside/ Derbyshire border. I work in Tameside and as someone mention before most of it is not very nice. If you are planning on working in the city be aware that public transport is rammed at rush hour. Also the traffic in and out of Glossop at rush hour is horrendous. They are planning a new bypass road at mottrom which should ease this a little but no guarantee as to when this will be built.

Rightmove is a good website to look at for houses for rent. Glossop is nice but is a bit out of the city. It is on the Tameside/ Derbyshire border. I work in Tameside and as someone mention before most of it is not very nice. If you are planning on working in the city be aware that public transport is rammed at rush hour. Also the traffic in and out of Glossop at rush hour is horrendous. They are planning a new bypass road at mottrom which should ease this a little but no guarantee as to when this will be built.

My girlfriend has her heart set on Glossop so going to try my best to get us there. I seeing that its about 30 mins on the train to Manchester City Center that's not to bad.

Thanks I'll check that site out now.

My girlfriend was going to sell her car and buy one over there but if the roads are terrible I might tell her to not buy one as she is only a new driver and is a bit nervous driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Mackenzie1983

It's not so much that the roads are bad just that the traffic is very heavy. I have work colleagues that live in Glossop and broadbottom and know that traffic is a big issue for them particularly in the morning. You might find that living in Glossop you will need a car anyway as I think trains only run once an hour (although I may have that wrong). The roads around Manchester are busy but I am sure that once your girlfriend gets used to them she will be fine.

Going to emphasise this again OP just so you know, Glossop isn't Manchester, it's a rural village, just so you know what you're getting into. It's about an hours drive to Old Trafford for example. Basically unless you're into hiking/hill walking (for which it's a great spot) you'll find it very dull indeed, it's a family town, wouldn't recommend it to a young person looking to make friends.

• Advertisement

Going to emphasise this again OP just so you know, Glossop isn't Manchester, it's a rural village, just so you know what you're getting into. It's about an hours drive to Old Trafford for example. Basically unless you're into hiking/hill walking (for which it's a great spot) you'll find it very dull indeed, it's a family town, wouldn't recommend it to a young person looking to make friends.

I know now mate my girlfriend used to say she is going over to her family in Manchester as she thought it was there but its just on the outskirts I can see now.

Her family lives there and she has a lot of cousins her age there male and female so it wouldn't be too bad.

For Old Trafford I was going to to get the train to Piccadilly and then the metro to Old Trafford it's how I get there when I get off in Manchester Airport for matches.

Were both still open to going somewhere else other than Glossop it's just that it's one of the main choices because her family lives there and its a nice area.

Were both from not so nice areas in Dublin right now so we were looking to move into a nice place.

Would you know of any places that are quite and cheap enough in Manchester?

I just found this link: http://www.movebubble.com/blog/2014/02/where-to-live-in-manchester/

Whitefield looks like a nice place.

Burkie7 wrote: »
    I know now mate my girlfriend used to say she is going over to her family in Manchester as she thought it was there but its just on the outskirts I can see now.

Her family lives there and she has a lot of cousins her age there male and female so it wouldn't be too bad.

For Old Trafford I was going to to get the train to Piccadilly and then the metro to Old Trafford it's how I get there when I get off in Manchester Airport for matches.

Were both still open to going somewhere else other than Glossop it's just that it's one of the main choices because her family lives there and its a nice area.

Were both from not so nice areas in Dublin right now so we were looking to move into a nice place.

Would you know of any places that are quite and cheap enough in Manchester?

Prestwich, Chorlton, Didsbury, Withington, Northern Quarter, Pendlebury, parts of Whalley Range, part of Salford directly beside manchester city Centre, Salford Quays, Castlefields, Sale, Altrincham....quite a range really.

Avoid Oldham, Rochdale, most of Salford, Gorton, Wythenshawe, Ashton udner Lyme.

Edit; Just saw your 2nd post, don't know enough about that area of Manchester really, looks like a very new development. North Manchester on the whole is a lot rougher and more rundown than the south.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Season ticket prices from Glossop are below, the service is every 30 minutes during the day and hourly in the evening with more services during the peak time. The journey takes about 40 minutes, it took me longer last week on the bus in Dublin to go to Firhouse! You should get a seat on the train as it is the start or early in the journey. The train is a 20 year old electric train, not the 30 year old crappy pacers on other parts of the Northern Rail network

season_ticket.jpg

Season ticket prices from Glossop are below, the service is every 30 minutes during the day and hourly in the evening with more services during the peak time. The journey takes about 40 minutes, it took me longer last week on the bus in Dublin to go to Firhouse! You should get a seat on the train as it is the start or early in the journey. The train is a 20 year old electric train, not the 30 year old crappy pacers on other parts of the Northern Rail network

season_ticket.jpg

Cheers mate my girlfriend drives and I'd be only going into the City Centre on the weekend for the match so I'd only need a single return.

I have a work from home job so I won't need to travel but I'm going to try and look for a job in the area if their is any also my girlfriends cousins said they will try and get her a job in Glossop also.

Prestwich, Chorlton, Didsbury, Withington, Northern Quarter, Pendlebury, parts of Whalley Range, part of Salford directly beside manchester city Centre, Salford Quays, Castlefields, Sale, Altrincham....quite a range really.

Avoid Oldham, Rochdale, most of Salford, Gorton, Wythenshawe, Ashton udner Lyme.

Edit; Just saw your 2nd post, don't know enough about that area of Manchester really, looks like a very new development. North Manchester on the whole is a lot rougher and more rundown than the south.

Thanks mate I'll check all of them out you have being a very big help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Hi guys. This seems to be the most recent thread Manchester related, so thought I'd post in here rather than start a new one, as there's some good info posted here already.

I'm looking into moving to Manchester in the new year, but not from Dublin :0

Anyhow, the plan is to hopefully stay with a mate for a week or so while looking for accommodation and sorting out an NI number and applying for jobs. Fingers crossed on all of those.

As I'm familiar with Chorlton and the area near it, I'm going to start looking there.

I was looking on gumtree last night, but I'm probably wasting my time looking until I'm over there.

I notice a lot of houses in Manchester are older, so going by this, I'm going to assume that not many would have ensuites? Minor question I know. What would be considered an average rent in Manchester? Ballpark?

If I don't have a job, I'll probably have a hard time getting references etc for a place to live?

Advertisement