Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time importer.

Options
  • 15-02-2015 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi all.

I'm in the process of importing a LCL from China (about 4 tons).(Xiamen Port)

Looking for some info on shipping from Xiamen to Ireland. I have already gotten a quote FOB.

They said they can ship the goods for me, or would I be better dealing with an Irish company?

What's the best way to go.

If dealing with an Irish company, could someone forward me a few names please and what costs might be involved.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

RUDOLF289 is the expert here if you do a search on this forum for China and have a read through their posts you should have everything you need.

This is what they typically post on the matter:

RUDOLF289 wrote:
    Good morning.

My recommendation, as before in previous posts, is to agree FOB terms with your supplier in China and nominate an (Irish based) forwarder to handle the shipping from the port in China to your door.

Under FOB terms, the supplier is responsible for ;

- delivery to the port of shipment
    - export customs formalities in China
    - loading / handling in the port in China

The consignee (through his nominated forwarder) is responsible for ;

- shipping from China to Ireland (and payment for same)
    - import customs formalities
    - payment of duty and VAT
    - payment of the local handling charges, customs clearance fee and delivery

In a lot of cases, the chinese supplier will offer C&F/CFR terms and make the shipping arrangements to Dublin. The problem with that is that the supplier gets a really sweet deal and the consignee ends up with significantly inflated charges on arrival (search for : China Import Service Fee in this forum and see some of the problems that can create)

Once you agree terms with your forwarder, he will liase with your supplier to make the required arrangements in China and ship the goods to Ireland, arrange the customs formalities on arrival and the delivery to your door.

Utilising the services of a forwarder on this side will give you control over the shipping process and costs associated with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 monuworks

Many thanks for your reply jimmii, really appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

No problem good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

Hello jimmii,

thanks for your support.

Hello monuworks,

have replied to your PM, need a bit more information in order to be able to provide you with complete costs.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

Advertisement