Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2015 World Cup Day 3 - Ire V WI

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Fair play to whoever stayed up last night and watched the whole game

Oh oh that's me! No wait... I'm in Brisbane and it was day time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

There have been 5 300+ chases in World Cup history. Ireland have had 3 of them. What a result!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Cricket fan

KevIRL wrote: »
    Some of the pessimism from yourself and others was way OTT. Throwing around phrases like pathetic was poor form. As you say the team does pull through in games and deserved better than that.

Today is a good day but perhaps next time ease off a bit?

Agree. In the heat of a match I can let my emotions get the better of me at times. Wont happen again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Agree. In the heat of a match I can let my emotions get the better of me at times. Wont happen again

Fair enough.

Hug?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Cricket fan

Fair enough.

Hug?

Haha yes... <3

Its not just the win that was incredible though, but the manner of it. Bar 3 late wickets, the WI got hammered, not just beaten. Hope the lads really stick it to the ICC.

Zimbabwe game will be a nailbiter I feel. Like us their batting is the strong point although their bowlers are slightly quicker. Thing is, if we beat the UAE and lose to Zimbabwe its still not over, as India and especially Pakistan are looking quite shaky if I'm honest.

9 days now to sit back and soak in the tournament :D

Also, best of luck to Scotland tonight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

TrueDub wrote: »
    One other thing - a 242-post thread (atm) with zero reports or mod actions required - thank you to all posters for that!!

To the plonker who reported this as "incitement to infringe" - you're on my radar!! :D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

TrueDub wrote: »
    To the plonker who reported this as "incitement to infringe" - you're on my radar!! :D
    It's OK - I investigated the complaint and gave you the benefit of the doubt, given everyone around here does seem to be smiling today ....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

shut my computer with WI on 230-5 with Sammy on fire, thinking Ireland has blown it away...but fair play to the lads...

Dad rang me first thing in the morning saying Ireland has won....

• Registered Users Posts: 37 futuremedic19

Ireland were absolutely world class today.
    Although the bowling needs work, I thought Ed Joyce, Nial O Brian and Paul Stirling were outstanding.

They pulled the ball well, they batted with confidence and went after the Windies bowlers.

This victory hopefully can inspire them to pull of more big wins but yeah they are definitely not underdogs anymore.

I think looking at the group as a whole Ireland should make qualify for the knockout stages.

India, South Africa and Ireland are favourites to qualify with Pakistan and WI fighting it out for the 4th spot.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Highlights (albeit brief):

on the icc website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Will George Hook be crying on the radio again?

George will no doubt regale us of the time he was at Sion Mills to see Ireland skittle the Windies out for 25 in 1969. Some bluffer that fella. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

India, South Africa and Ireland are favourites to qualify with Pakistan and WI fighting it out for the 4th spot.

I think SA & India are obvious faves - and then whoever wins between WI and Pakistan takes 3rd spot.

The one who loses that match is then in a 3-way mini league with Ireland and Zim for the 4th spot, so we really need to hope that Pakistan beat WI imo, that puts Pakistan through, and leaves Ireland in an excellent position for 4th spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭axe2grind

Zimbabwe have proved during the warm-ups and against SA that they are not to be under estimated.

I think the result between Zim and Ire will be pivotal to the outcome of the group

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Ireland were absolutely world class today.
    Although the bowling needs work, I thought Ed Joyce, Nial O Brian and Paul Stirling were outstanding.

They pulled the ball well, they batted with confidence and went after the Windies bowlers.

This victory hopefully can inspire them to pull of more big wins but yeah they are definitely not underdogs anymore.

I think looking at the group as a whole Ireland should make qualify for the knockout stages.

Bit of a reality and expectation check needed. The group is a long way from being decided as you have outlined above. We got a great win that's for sure but its undeniable we benefitted from a lot of west indies disarray. We are far from certs to beat Zimbabwe, even if we do, then any amount of results between the test playing nations could leave us going down to NRR. Us beating UAE while likely cannot be taken for granted.

Our bowling line up is so weak its going to be targeted and we will constantly have to make very big scores with the bat.

Ireland play the UAE next and then SA and Zimbabwe. To have a decent chance of qualifying they are going to have to win the matches against the UAE and Zimbabwe. By the time they play India in their penultimate match it's going to be pretty clear what (if anything) they need in those last 2 matches, with the WI then only having the UAE to play (on the same day Ireland play Pakistan which is the final day of the group stages)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Shame that the WC is being cut to 10 teams. It doesn't seem much of a WC to me and looks like the ICC are just doing it to avoid further embarrassment to their more established members .

How is ever, it's a great day for the Irish team and hopefully they can win against the UAE and Zim and see where that takes hem

Don't think "embarrassment" has anything to do with it. Results like today's actually help grow the game. The problem is though that a lot of the cricket world will largely have forgotten about this performance in another 7 weeks. And that seems to me to be the real issue here - 7 weeks is far too long for such an international sporting tournament. Don't know how long they are planning for the next one, but even Soccer World Cups only run for a month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

Beasty wrote: »
    Don't think "embarrassment" has anything to do with it. Results like today's actually help grow the game. The problem is though that a lot of the cricket world will largely have forgotten about this performance in another 7 weeks. And that seems to me to be the real issue here - 7 weeks is far too long for such an international sporting tournament. Don't know how long they are planning for the next one, but even Soccer World Cups only run for a month or so.

Ridiculous scheduling to be honest with the group stages taking forever...... India for example played their first game on the 15th and will play their last group game on the 14th of March..... That is a whole month to play 6 one day matches!!!

Contrast this with their recent 4 Test series with Australia 3 Tests of which went to Day 5 ..... which is 19 days of Test cricket in 28 days!!!

The schedule no doubt is driven by TV rights and revenue from TV advertisements......the longer the tournament more the revenue

Rant over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 qwerty87

Gary Wilson is in very poor form with the bat. Any chance Niall O'Brien gets moved to keeper and Stuart Thomson comes in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Gillespy

booth70 wrote: »
    Ridiculous scheduling to be honest with the group stages taking forever...... India for example played their first game on the 15th and will play their last group game on the 14th of March..... That is a whole month to play 6 one day matches!!!

Contrast this with their recent 4 Test series with Australia 3 Tests of which went to Day 5 ..... which is 19 days of Test cricket in 28 days!!!

The schedule no doubt is driven by TV rights and revenue from TV advertisements......the longer the tournament more the revenue

Rant over

That test match schedule isn't right either. It's a fast bowler killer for one.

I'm enjoying this so far, there will be dull games and a few I won't even bother with but if the group stage continue like this it will be fly by. It's long enough for teams to get their selection right and to be honest, the world cup really starts at the quarter final stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Highlights just started on ITV4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Been here before, we just can't finish it off in the last 15 overs.

Game over.

Could I be more wrong?:pac::P

Roach clearly is not up to pace but it was still awesome watching him and Taylor get murdered.

Great result for us really, now we need to stay focused, as we really can't afford to lose to UAE.

A **** you to those elitist bores who want the world cup to be a ten team glorified champions trophy.:)

A **** you to those elitist bores who want the world cup to be a ten team glorified champions trophy.:)

Are you staying up to watch Bangladesh take on Afghanistan tonight then? or UAE and Zimbabwe tomorrow? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Gillespy wrote: »
    Are you staying up to watch Bangladesh take on Afghanistan tonight then? or UAE and Zimbabwe tomorrow? :p

Both surely?

• Advertisement

Swerving the morning game even if it will probably be good fun.

UAE v Zimbabwe needs to be watched as they are in our group!:P

NZ vs Eng will be my next match. One has to pace oneself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

What day is ireland playing the uae

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Brian017 wrote: »
    Shame that the WC is being cut to 10 teams. It doesn't seem much of a WC to me and looks like the ICC are just doing it to avoid further embarrassment to their more established members .

Firstly brilliant performance against West Indies - I assume it will be between Zimbabwe and us to qualify next time.
    Essential we must quality to keep momentum , but are Zimbabwe getting better too ?

Scheduling seams awful for a high profile tournament - surely with better planning they could expand tournament to 12 ?

thebaz wrote: »
    Firstly brilliant performance against West Indies - I assume it will be between Zimbabwe and us to qualify next time.
    Essential we must quality to keep momentum , but are Zimbabwe getting better too ?

Scheduling seams awful for a high profile tournament - surely with better planning they could expand tournament to 12 ?

Its very poorly organised, no reason not to have 2 a day or even 3 at the weekend.

Zimbabwe are strong enough and seem to have their house in order, beat Lanka last week and were decent against South Africa.

I'd actually would make them favourites to beat us, not by much butt they have better pacers than us.

We have a lot of work to do to qualify.

• Advertisement

What day is ireland playing the uae

Wednesday morning 25th Feb.

3.30 start.

Its very poorly organised, no reason not to have 2 a day or even 3 at the weekend.

Why would that be better? There are two games a day some days but they hardly clash. I don't really get that complaint, why would cramming it into a month be better than being given the chance to watch every game.

Why would that be better? There are two games a day some days but they hardly clash. I don't really get that complaint, why would cramming it into a month be better than being given the chance to watch every game.

Yeah fair point I suppose. Just trying to think of a way how to appease those who think its to long without kicking out the associates. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

What then is the reasoning to have only 10 teams at next WC ?

Surely 12 would have been better , not just for Ireland but to help expand the game outside the usual suspects ?

Because they don't want one sided games? Don't forget there is the T20 world cup as well. It is complicated and scheduling in cricket is always an issue.

I'm okay with it as it is. It's no longer than the IPL and it's once every four years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Because they don't want one sided games? Don't forget there is the T20 world cup as well. It is complicated and scheduling in cricket is always an issue.

I'm okay with it as it is. It's no longer than the IPL and it's once every four years.

The one sided game argument is nonsense. No other sports world cup actively try to make it more difficult for smaller nations to be involved in the showpiece event. When Trinidad qualified for the soccer WC, or Japan qualify for rugby, people applauded and no one said they shouldn't be there. The only way smaller sides improve is by them playing bigger games. Then there is the elephant in the room, the fact that Ireland not only routinely beat the other associates, but always take a big scalp when presented with a chance. If they can't be allowed to progress by the powers that be then what hope have the likes of Scotland and the UAE.

Rant over

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    The one sided game argument is nonsense. No other sports world cup actively try to make it more difficult for smaller nations to be involved in the showpiece event. When Trinidad qualified for the soccer WC, or Japan qualify for rugby, people applauded and no one said they shouldn't be there. The only way smaller sides improve is by them playing bigger games. Then there is the elephant in the room, the fact that Ireland not only routinely beat the other associates, but always take a big scalp when presented with a chance. If they can't be allowed to progress by the powers that be then what hope have the likes of Scotland and the UAE.

Rant over

You're preaching to the choir. It's the old-boys-club that is the ICC that you need to complain to.

Advertisement