Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend a TV for €650

• 15-02-2015 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭

I'm on the look out for a new TV and my budget is €650. I've come across a few things on Techradar but I just thought I'd ask on here as well. The most important thing is picture quality and sound. I still watch a good bit of SD content so I'd like something that can handle that pretty well. 3D and Smart technology don't interest me, so I don't care if they're present or not.

Finally, I bought my current HDTV in about 2007. It's a Sharp model and was very well reviewed at the time. I'm still very impressed with the picture quality. In fact, I'm only upgrading because some 'burn' marks have appeared in a few spots. It was quite expensive when I bought it. About €1500 I think. I'm slightly concerned that I'm going to buy something that won't look as well, particularly in terms of the deep blacks that my current model is capable of. Or are my concerns totally unfounded? Has the technology come on sufficiently that even a budget model would outperform my old mid-range model?

Thanks everyone.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Simi

I'm on the look out for a new TV and my budget is €650. I've come across a few things on Techradar but I just thought I'd ask on here as well. The most important thing is picture quality and sound. I still watch a good bit of SD content so I'd like something that can handle that pretty well. 3D and Smart technology don't interest me, so I don't care if they're present or not.

Finally, I bought my current HDTV in about 2007. It's a Sharp model and was very well reviewed at the time. I'm still very impressed with the picture quality. In fact, I'm only upgrading because some 'burn' marks have appeared in a few spots. It was quite expensive when I bought it. About €1500 I think. I'm slightly concerned that I'm going to buy something that won't look as well, particularly in terms of the deep blacks that my current model is capable of. Or are my concerns totally unfounded? Has the technology come on sufficiently that even a budget model would outperform my old mid-range model?

Thanks everyone.

This is probably the best tv in that price range http://www.harveynorman.ie/tvs-headphones/hd-tvs/samsung-48-smart-led-tv-ue48h6400akxxu.html
    If you're coming from a plasma you're going to be disappointed though. Maybe hold off if deep blacks are what you seek. OLED tv's should come of age later this year. They're not going to cost €650 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Yeah that's absolutely perfect. I didn't expect to see such a well reviewed 48" at that price. No I'm not coming from a plasma. When I say my current LCD can produce 'deep blacks' I simply mean that it was a cut above most LCDs at the time. Thanks a million!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

€650 > Easy
    Samsung 48H6400

And yes picture will be better, just don't use Dynamic Mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

I am in the same boat as you. Same budget and wasn't to pushed on smart + 3D.

I found the better quality tv's nearly all have 3D (maybe 3D need better panels)

Anyway I have two in contention. Both seem good value especially the Sharp.

http://www.pixmania.ie/led-tv/sharp-...2432571-a.html

http://www.pixmania.ie/led-tv/lg-47l...2177065-a.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

€650 > Easy
    Samsung 48H6400

And yes picture will be better, just don't use Dynamic Mode.

I second that, I just picked one up. Its fantastic.

• Advertisement

Gordy6040 wrote: »
    I second that, I just picked one up. Its fantastic.

Delighted to hear it. I'm collecting mine on Friday! Best of luck with it.

Over the next week or so I'll calibrate it.
    my suggestion would be to use movie mode when you get set up. If anyone has any ideas on picture settings is be happy to hear them

Gordy6040 wrote: »
    Over the next week or so I'll calibrate it.
    my suggestion would be to use movie mode when you get set up. If anyone has any ideas on picture settings is be happy to hear them

Cheers. Let me know how the calibration goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭deano59

Hi - where can I get the Samsung for 650 - I can only find it in PC world for 750 - any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks

deano59 wrote: »
    Hi - where can I get the Samsung for 650 - I can only find it in PC world for 750 - any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Try power City

• Advertisement
Advertisement