Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment blocks with outdoor "stair towers"

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

One of my mates' dads who worked near where the IFSC now is back in the day has memories of the whole area around Seville Place / Oriel Street being a sort of unspoken joyriding graveyard where the cars would ultimately be dumped and burned out, so that apparently (although I'm sure he exaggerates) you'd drive through the place and be likely to pass several smouldering cars on any random day :D

You can see this now up in the mountains. A lot of the small / semi-official car parks for hillwalking in the Dublin and Wicklow mountains have a couple of burnt out car skeletons lying around, which obviously makes the prospect of parking there for the day while wandering the mountains a little less appealing. It's never immediately obvious how long they've been there for but they tend to be severely decayed, rusty metal skeletons - not sure how long it would take for that to happen after being firebombed though. There's one carpark near Glendalough (but not the official one) which has a crap ton of these.

When ye talk of immobilisers (apologies for the ignorance here) are you basically saying that the concept of needing the key to actually start the engine was irrelevant back then? As I understand it, hotwiring modern cars is so complicated that it's not worth the hassle for "casual" joyriders, and is only employed by gangs etc who have a serious use in mind for the car?

Heard another story at the same dinner in which a woman was getting a bag of chips somewhere in town while thinking her kids were in school and the car was at home in her driveway, and she happened to look out the window of the place and see her car flying past with her kids and a few of their mates hanging out the windows :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

When ye talk of immobilisers (apologies for the ignorance here) are you basically saying that the concept of needing the key to actually start the engine was irrelevant back then? As I understand it, hotwiring modern cars is so complicated that it's not worth the hassle for "casual" joyriders, and is only employed by gangs etc who have a serious use in mind for the car?

Basically, yeah. The immobiliser requires the key to be present (or more usually a chip within the key) for the car to start. In theory it prevents hotwiring, but until recently it wasn't 100% - particularly it was very easy to access the car's computer and program in a new key code that matched one that the thief had on them.

I think this has all but become impossible in the past 5-10 years though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,854 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Burnt out frames can actually look rusty immediately so the mountain cars may not be that old (we've gone rather far off topic now!)

L1011 wrote: »
    Burnt out frames can actually look rusty immediately so the mountain cars may not be that old

Well that's very reassuring :p
    (we've gone rather far off topic now!)

Hatrick's law of Boards relativity. As the page number increases, the relation to the OP decreases whilst the likelihood of havoc, fighting, and (on AH) bashing of minorities increases exponentially. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Hatrick's law of Boards relativity. As the page number increases, the relation to the OP decreases whilst the likelihood of havoc, fighting, and (on AH) bashing of minorities increases exponentially. ;)

But some of us are still on page 1!! ;)

Meanwhile and back on topic, I've only noticed that some of these complexes with outer stairs have some quite fancy mosaic work. The mosaics seem to be confined to the particular types of flats that we're talking about.

Eg. flats between Clarence Place Great and the railway between Pearse and Grand Canal Dock have train mosaics and the ones just west of North Strand and the Royal Canal have sea/waves mosaics.

Any others that posters know of???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

tricky D wrote: »
    But some of us are still on page 1!! ;)

Meanwhile and back on topic, I've only noticed that some of these complexes with outer stairs have some quite fancy mosaic work. The mosaics seem to be confined to the particular types of flats that we're talking about.

Eg. flats between Clarence Place Great and the railway between Pearse and Grand Canal Dock have train mosaics and the ones just west of North Strand and the Royal Canal have sea/waves mosaics.

Any others that posters know of???

There are mosaics of the Dublin City cityscape on the blocks on Kevin St Lower. I like them. I always thought that the large flat surfaces that tend to go along with dated public housing in the city centre could be utilized for public artworks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

^ Nice find. Looks like alternating skyline and hills panels from what I can make out on Streetview. Outer stairs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

Apartments ?
    Bless him.

****hole 1960/70s council flats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Stojkovic wrote: »
    Apartments ?
    Bless him.

I'd probably take one over any of the Dublin 'apartments' for which people paid hundreds of thousands of euro in the last 15 years or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Far from it, they're extremely comfy little abodes for a family with one child.

I know I was raised in one :eek: :p

• Advertisement

Apartments ?
    Bless him.

Many of the ones in the area have been renovated to a very high standard. I know I'd love to get an apartment/flat with multiple bedrooms only a few feat from St Stephens Green for almost nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭frankoreagan

I'm surprised that some of the flats (ones on Cuffe St in particular) survived being knocked and the site sold for mega money during the boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

There are mosaics of the Dublin City cityscape on the blocks on Kevin St Lower. I like them. I always thought that the large flat surfaces that tend to go along with dated public housing in the city centre could be utilized for public artworks.
    If it hasnt already been mentioned, there are mosiacs of trains on flats beside the railway line southbound out of Pearce street station

Many of the ones in the area have been renovated to a very high standard. I know I'd love to get an apartment/flat with multiple bedrooms only a few feat from St Stephens Green for almost nothing.
    Did they renovate them to a very high standard and then charge almost nothing ?

Wow !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Did they renovate them to a very high standard and then charge almost nothing ?

Wow !!!

They're council houses so the rent on them is in proportion to what you earn.

January wrote: »
    They're council houses so the rent on them is in proportion to what you earn.

In proportion to what you earn in the sense that it responds to ones income but not at all proportionate in comparison to market rents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Seriously? The ones beside Stephen's Green?

Maybe I'm too young to remember, but I can't imagine anywhere around the Harcourt / Camden St area being "no go" apart from late weekend nights if you're not into loud music and drunken eejits :p

Went to college in Kevin Street in the early 90s, you stayed away. The phone boxes on the corner of Camden Street was a common place to trap students in and rob them.

Even these days, probably for historical purposes, I'm uneasy in that general area.

In proportion to what you earn in the sense that it responds to ones income but not at all proportionate in comparison to market rents.

Depends on what you earn ;)

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Went to college in Kevin Street in the early 90s, you stayed away. The phone boxes on the corner of Camden Street was a common place to trap students in and rob them.

Even these days, probably for historical purposes, I'm uneasy in that general area.
    The ol man had a shop on the corner of Wexford Street in the late 70s. Well dodgy area at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Why on earth would local authority housing designated to low income tenants have any connection to market rates?

That said, depending on income, the rent is sometimes quite far from a peppercorn rent given that rent is calculated on household income and not therefore a free gift to tenants.

York, Kevin and Cuffe Street flats have calmed down am awful lot since the 80s by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Well that's very reassuring :p

The dole is the subject most likely to be brought up the longer a thread goes on, probably more of an AH thing though.

anncoates wrote: »
    Why on earth would local authority housing designated to low income tenants have any connection to market rates?

Because it isn't exclusively designated to low income tenants. One can earn a full income that would otherwise preclude one from having rent allowance in private rented accommodation and still pay a rent that is far below market rent. In any case I was only clarifying a point made by another poster.
    That said, depending on income, the rent is sometimes quite far from a peppercorn rent given that rent is calculated on household income and not therefore a free gift to tenants.

I never suggested it was.
    York, Kevin and Cuffe Street flats have calmed down am awful lot since the 80s by the way.

I believe I made roughly the same point a few posts back and as a proud resident of the area I personally think it is a wonderful place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

whatever they are paying in rent be it from handouts or working full time it is nothing compared to what people in the private sector have to pay. think that was the point the poster was making.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

So this thread got from talking about the architecture of some complexes to a shocking revelation that council houses are cheaper to rent than private rentals.

salmocab wrote: »
    So this thread got from talking about the architecture of some complexes to a shocking revelation that council houses are cheaper to rent than private rentals.

'Shocking' :pac:

Sorry to bump an old thread, but to anyone who knows about these decisions, is there any reason they would build these blocks in pairs, but sometimes only have one block with an outdoor stairwell while the other block (not physically connected) would have an internal one?

The Chamber Street Flats were like this, although they were demolished a few years back so people might not remember them. But I noticed a similar setup which is still standing while walking along the canal a couple of days ago: Seagull House, across the road from Dolphin House on the Dolphin's Barn / Crumlin Road.

Anyone know why they would differentiate the designs of two adjacent blocks like this? Seems very odd. Perhaps the second block originally had a tower, but this was damaged at some stage and they replaced it with an internal staircase rather than repair it? It does seem to be a deliberate thing though considering that the Chamber Street flats just up the road had the same quirk - two blocks, only one of which had an outdoor stairwell. Either way I find these things seriously cool, makes them look like military bunkers or missile silos or something :D

Two photographs from Google, one at street level and one overhead:

369819.png

369820.png

Advertisement