Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any photos of Dennehy's Cross Pub?

Options
  • 15-02-2015 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Does anyone have photos of the outside and inside of the old Dennehys bar that was located at Dennehys Cross? The site is now where Ramen restaurant is located. I think the pub closed around 10 years ago (c. 2005).

Thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

It's just about visible in this photo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I liked that pub. When I worked a summer in Merchants (:mad:) we used go there for drinks every so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Just lost 40 minutes to that site, thanks! :mad: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭rob316

TheChizler wrote: »
    Just lost 40 minutes to that site, thanks! :mad: :D

+1 Great site love all this stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

Cheers.

Do you know the year of that photo?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

That is a wonderful website; I've never heard of it before. For anyone interested in the West Cork activities around the War of Independence: I could highly recommend "Towards Ireland Free" by Liam Deasy. It's heavy enough going if you're not interested in the subject matter but the level of detail is superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

I don't know the year -- it looks to me like it was taken long after 1920. The site is really good, I had never really looked at it properly until I read the posts here!

I don't know the year -- it looks to me like it was taken long after 1920. The site is really good, I had never really looked at it properly until I read the posts here!

Yeah, I'd say that photo looks somewhere about the 1960s or 1970s.

Does anyone know when the pub was first opened?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

It was a very dark pub but they did a decent sandwich and soup (with freshly whipped cream if you wanted) the few years before they closed, we used to talk down from the Model Farm rd business park.

And the darts/rings board and pool table in the bar section. And as a kid, I recall playing space invaders in the bar section - it was one of those arcade games that doubled up as a table. I think it was 10p a game. There was also the lounge but that was less lively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Unfortunately I spent my weekends in there as a kid. :( It was a nice pub though albeit a bit dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

It was a very dark pub but they did a decent sandwich and soup (with freshly whipped cream if you wanted) the few years before they closed, we used to talk down from the Model Farm rd business park.

Whipped cream in soup just sounds wrong. Friend worked there for a while, but only ever went in once or twice. Wasn't a fan. The barbers on the corner is gone, didn't last much longer than the coffee place. That photo shows that the location seems to have always had issues.

Also, where's that image coming from? Can't see any navigation options and it's a weird domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

pm sent re getting in contact with the family.

dogsears wrote: »
    pm sent re getting in contact with the family.

Cheers dogsears. I would like to keep the offer open if that's possible. I am not great at meeting new people and would rather leave it for the time being. If you could get photos uploaded here, I'd greatly appreciate it. Along with info on when the place opened and closed, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Radio5

A lot of pubs gone on that stretch out from the City. The Western Star, Crows Nest and Dennehy's Cross.

Advertisement