Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation in Limerick

• 15-02-2015 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi! Could you help me please. I'm choosing between Cratloe Wood student village and Thomond village. My concern is the location, availability of public transport and proximity to the city centre. Which one is better? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭RINO87

Both of them Are within 200 meters of each other. Both of them are on the outskirts of the city, as in nearly in the countryside.

Shorter walk from Cratloe to LIT, about 10 mins, Thomond is about 15, but both run busses from the villages to the college all day.

Cratloe has a bus stop for the city bus just across the road, but you can walk to the city centre in 20 mins, even better get a bike and you wont have to rely on the (very un-reliable) 302 bus!!!

I lived in thomond years ago, had good fun there, but unless the place has had a major refit recently id say it must be wrecked! Build quality wasnt the highest to say the least!! Cratloe always seemed to be better maintained, and the public areas always looked after.

Harriston village and Gort na Glaise are also student villages in the area. A little pricier, but much, much nicer. (Well 8 - 10 years ago they were anyways!!)

Take a trip down and have a look for yourself, student villages are good fun in first year and a great way of meeting people if you are coming straight out of school. If you are a little older, or like things a little quieter, or just want to get more of a feel for the city rent a place in town. Prices are actually better than the student villages and as I said earlier its a short enough walk or cycle to college.

Im back in LIT myself this year finally doing my post grad (cycle from the city centre every day, less than 10 mins) so if you have any questions about the area or the college in general ill try do my best to fill you in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 KatyaK

Thanks a lot for your reply! The problem is that I'm coming to Linerick tomorrow and those two options are the only available now. As I'm coming to work on a project in the city centre ( I'm not a student, older) only till the beginning of May it looks to be absolutely impossible to find a short term place in the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭RINO87

Hmmm, I see your problem. If you are above the age of 20 i wouldn't suggest the student villages at all, especially if you have work in the city centre every morning, they can be pretty rowdy places(not rough by any means, but always some sort of a party going on somewhere within earshot)!! Check out what is on daft.ie, ring the landlords and estate agents directly, I am sure they will be able to negotiate a short term stay, its amazing what a phone call can do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Also, the prices in those student villages can be comparable to normal private rented accommodation.

What about here:
    http://www.rent.ie/short-lets/limerick/

Advertisement